Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you vote to Ban Smoking? (those in Cincinnati only please)

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ban Smoking

17 38.64%
  • Reject Ban.

23 52.27%
  • Undecided/ Abstaining

4 9.09%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Smoking Ban in Cincinnati

Porkchop Sandwiches

Re: Smoking Ban in Cincinnati

But Steel, it is an avoidable risk. The hardships of logging and crab fishing, albeit I am speaking from a position of ignorance on these particular professions, seem like they are inherent to the job. One can have a bar or restaurant without smoking. It is done quite often, as you have pointed out yourself.

As far as likening smoking bans, which would be in "public" spaces only, and prohibition, they are two different matters. Prohibition was the outlawing of drinking based on its immoral consequences, and was seen as an opportunity to weaken the German immigrants/ population during the World Wars.

In the case of a "public" spaces ban, there would still be plenty of opportunity for smokers to damage their own health, it would just be in places where they could not ruin others'. It is not as much a question of rights, as it is a question of motives, as far as I am concerned. If it is really the succombing to a habit that many people who smoke claim it is, then why is it so important to do it in public. Why not just smoke privately?

Another side to this matter that I would like to get feedback on just out of curiosity, is what about those who smoke and drive? If I am in my own car behind a smoker, I can very distinctly and disgustingly smell the smoke. It is a private space that I occupy, and I have no choice but to be behind that smoker on the road. Do the same rules apply? Am I required to not have my windows down and my ventilation system off, or should the smoker not be allowed to have their own window open? At what point do you draw the line?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    But Steel, it is an avoidable risk. The hardships of logging and crab fishing, albeit I am speaking from a position of ignorance on these particular professions, seem like they are inherent to the job. One can have a bar or restaurant without smoking. It is done quite often, as you have pointed out yourself.
    Environment is environment. I'm talking about the simple concept of taking responsibility for entering an environment one feels may be hazardous to them.

You walk into a bar that allows smoking, there's not a single person there who isn't fully aware that smoking is taking place around them.

Just because the government can choose to alter that environment, it doesn't one bit remove responsibility from those who choose to place themselves in that environment currently.

You're right- not inhaling second hand smoke in an establishment that allows smoking IS avoidable. Don't be there. Seems simple enough to me.

As far as likening smoking bans, which would be in "public" spaces only, and prohibition, they are two different matters. Prohibition was the outlawing of drinking based on its immoral consequences, and was seen as an opportunity to weaken the German immigrants/ population during the World Wars.

In the case of a "public" spaces ban, there would still be plenty of opportunity for smokers to damage their own health, it would just be in places where they could not ruin others'. It is not as much a question of rights, as it is a question of motives, as far as I am concerned. If it is really the succombing to a habit that many people who smoke claim it is, then why is it so important to do it in public. Why not just smoke privately?
    In any case, we know how Prohibition turned out. There was open defiance of the alcohol ban and we've seen examples in this very thread of establishments doing the same thing in cities that have done what you propose.

Another side to this matter that I would like to get feedback on just out of curiosity, is what about those who smoke and drive? If I am in my own car behind a smoker, I can very distinctly and disgustingly smell the smoke. It is a private space that I occupy, and I have no choice but to be behind that smoker on the road. Do the same rules apply? Am I required to not have my windows down and my ventilation system off, or should the smoker not be allowed to have their own window open? At what point do you draw the line?
    I think we should draw the line at forcing everyone to exist in soundproof, room-temperature, insulated, .0000000000000000001 micron hepa-filtered plastic bubbles.

But even then, someone is still going to be "bothering" someone else.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    You must have not paid attention in history class.

As far as I know, blacks used to be slaves, BEATEN slaves. until Lincoln ended it. then for a while after, racism ran rampant. But our culture has shifted to accept african americans as equals, even though unfotunatley, racism still exists in some forms and probably always will in our lifetime.

People used to not get arrested for beating their wives and children either.
    Wow, you must be right. Well, either that--or the history classes that I took focused on other matters...or, quite possibly, I was just absent the days that the teacher talked about how it was "OK" to beat your wife (and kids) and it was "OK" to hate black people.

Turn Off Ads?