Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wash Post: Native Americans Criticize Bush's Silence on School Shooting

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Wash Post: Native Americans Criticize Bush's Silence on School Shooting

Cbus, what in your opinion are good reasons for the President to say nothing about this school shooting?
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I agree that a President should say something at a time of any significant national tragedy. Reagan did it. Clinton was very good at it, saying he could "feel" others' "pain". Whether or not Clinton really felt someone else's pain can be debated of course, but it seemed to make people feel better to hear him say it. It is just part of the ceremonial part of the job.
    Excellent post RB
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I agree with you, RB. The office of the Presidency is all about making statements and public gestures. President Bush had no problem announcing that he was cutting his vacation short to return to Washington and approve Congress' Terry Schiavo bill. He had no problem with having his picture taken with a bedridden soldier recovering from wounds suffered in Iraq. Remember how he went out of his way to portray himself as a President who genuinely cares about people?

It's a big mistake for him not to make any kind of gesture to the families of the school shooting victims.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-29-2005 at 11:58 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I agree with you, RB. The office of the Presidency is all about making statements and public gestures. President Bush had no problem announcing that he was cutting his vacation short to return to Washington and approve Congress' Terry Schiavo bill. It's a big mistake for him not to make any kind of gesture to the families of the school shooting victims.
    Maybe Bush'll send 'em a card signed electronically.

Yeehaw! Big hugs from the W!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Maybe Bush'll send 'em a card signed electronically.
    Maybe he could just email one. Does Blue Mountain have a "Sorry your children were killed in a school shooting" e-card?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I really do want to hear the upside of saying nothing in this instance. I can't think of a reason that is in any way positive.
    /r/reds

Queen Christine

See I think the comments above are a little tasteless.
    But what do I know.

See I think the comments above are a little tasteless.
    But what do I know.
    You're right. My comments are intentionally tasteless.

I'm just making a point that President Bush's silence shows a lack of class in this case.

Bush should have personally said something here. That is a valid point and I agree. The reasoning that the silence has anything to do with Native Americans is a baseless accusation.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Queen Christine

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    You're right. My comments are intentionally tasteless.

I'm just making a point that President Bush's silence shows a lack of class in this case.
    My bad, I thought people making tasteless comments was how these threads get derailed. There is always a different to way to make comments, tactfully and tasteless. I think there should be more tact and less taste. From everyone. And I'm waiting on the mods and the critics to jump on FCB and Johnny... for their tasteless comments... or do we only do that to Cbus.

Quote Originally Posted by DunnersGrl44
    My bad, I thought people making tasteless comments was how these threads get derailed. There is always a different to way to make comments, tactfully and tasteless. I think there should be more tact and less taste. From everyone. And I'm waiting on the mods and the critics to jump on FCB and Johnny... for their tasteless comments... or do we only do that to Cbus.
    I'm not a big fan of George Bush or of constant threads picking at his every action but IMO there is a big difference in the level of aggression and malevolence in the posts made by Cbus and those made by FCB and Johnny. Cbus' posts were made to belittle other posters, as they often are (in P-Threads), and I wish he would stop it or go away.

Queen Christine

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm not a big fan of George Bush or of constant threads picking at his every action but IMO there is a big difference in the level of aggression and malevolence in the posts made by Cbus and those made by FCB and Johnny. Cbus' posts were made to belittle other posters, as they often are (in P-Threads), and I wish he would stop it or go away.
    I'm not disagreeing with you.... I think that Cbus is far worst than anyone else. But what you are saying is, Johnny and FCB and others, are OK with what they say because even though they are inappropriate, they aren't as bad as Cbus. Thats really doesnt work. Everyone should be treated the same. If you are not adding to the thread... then don't post. and that goes for everyone.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Cbus, what in your opinion are good reasons for the President to say nothing about this school shooting?

there arent any good reasons, This would all be better if John Kerry had been elected, didnt you read my second post?

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

I'm not disagreeing with you.... I think that Cbus is far worst than anyone else. But what you are saying is, Johnny and FCB and others, are OK with what they say because even though they are inappropriate, they aren't as bad as Cbus. Thats really doesnt work. Everyone should be treated the same. If you are not adding to the thread... then don't post. and that goes for everyone.
    Hah,

You're one of the last people I need help from, but thanks anyways!

So YOU get to say who's "adding to the thread?"

Personally, I have no problem with Cbus' John Kerry screed. None at all. Cuz guess what? He's satirizing A PUBLIC FIGURE (just as I did), not hurling an insult at another poster. That is a world of difference that I honestly don't feel needs to be elaborated for the trillionth time.

If you can point to where I insulted another poster on this thread I'm all eyes and ears.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?