Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wash Post: Native Americans Criticize Bush's Silence on School Shooting

Re: Wash Post: Native Americans Criticize Bush's Silence on School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by DunnersGrl44
    All Hail Zombie.
    That is the smartest thing I have read this entire thread.
    If you live long enough you end up seeing and hearing everything. Zombie saying something smart? Wow. Maybe Joe Randa will turn out OK for the Reds.......
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    If you live long enough you end up seeing and hearing everything. Zombie saying something smart? Wow. Maybe Joe Randa will turn out OK for the Reds.......
    Don't hasten the next sign of the Apocalypse there, killer.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Don't hasten the next sign of the Apocalypse there, killer.
    Juan Castro starting and producing.......

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

A thousand tragedies occur in this country every day. If the President has to make a statement about every one of them, when is he going to have time to actually run the country?
    He took plenty of time off from running the country to pose with wounded soldiers, take a jog with them, hug the daughter of a WTC bombing victim, etc. when it suited his needs. We can dig up dozens of old threads on those topics.

Funny how back then, people didn't mind him taking a moment to show compassion, even if it meant taking time away from "running the country." They applauded him for being a genuine, caring person. But now when he fails to show compassion, he gets the "he's too busy running the country" excuse.

What happened to that genuine, caring person? Oh, now I remember -- he won the election, so he doesn't have to play that role anymore. And apparently people don't really mind.

BTW - he was on vacation when the shootings occurred, wasn't he? He made it a point to announce that he was *cutting his vacation short* to approve the Terri Schiavo bill. So he really wasn't busy "running the country."
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-30-2005 at 12:13 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    He took plenty of time off from running the country to pose with wounded soldiers, take a jog with them, hug the daughter of a WTC bombing victim, etc. when it suited his needs. We can dig up dozens of old threads on those topics.

Funny how back then, people didn't mind him taking a moment to show compassion, even if it meant taking time away from "running the country." They applauded him for being a genuine, caring person. But now when he fails to show compassion, he gets the "he's too busy running the country" excuse.

What happened to that genuine, caring person? Oh, now I remember -- he won the election, so he doesn't have to play that role anymore. And apparently people don't really mind.

BTW - he was on vacation when the shootings occurred, wasn't he? He made it a point to announce that he was *cutting his vacation short* to approve the Terri Schiavo bill. So he really wasn't busy "running the country."
    I didn't vote for the man - but on a personal level he comes across as being a caring person. IMHO, I think there is more to this story than what the media is talking about. Just thinking out loud here - but how does the Red Lake Reservation "play" in MN? Politically, socially, etc. Better yet, how do the elected officials (all parties) react to them? Have there been troubles with the reservation?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Just thinking out loud here - but how does the Red Lake Reservation "play" in MN? Politically, socially, etc. Better yet, how do the elected officials (all parties) react to them? Have there been troubles with the reservation?
    IMO, those things shouldn't matter in this case.

In reality, they probably *do* matter.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Just thinking out loud here - but how does the Red Lake Reservation "play" in MN? Politically, socially, etc. Better yet, how do the elected officials (all parties) react to them? Have there been troubles with the reservation?
    Reservations are always a political and poverty induced hotpot, intertribal and with the whites. Colonization is a dirty job.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Reservations are always a political and poverty induced hotpot, intertribal and with the whites. Colonization is a dirty job.
    Generally speaking, yes - but I was referring to Red Lake specifically.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Generally speaking, yes - but I was referring to Red Lake specifically.
    Kitty they all problems from what I hear, Red Lake is one of the poorest counties in the US. That speaks volumns.

This is one reason why I do not join the "Christian" nation crowd even though I am a Christian. Between Native Americans and slavery, neither issue is indicitive of a people that were trying to establish a Christian nation on sound Biblical principles as is often asserted.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Kitty they all problems from what I hear, Red Lake is one of the poorest counties in the US. That speaks volumns.
    I'm too lazy to do a Google search to see if there was any issues and who's the representative...

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    This is one reason why I do not join the "Christian" nation crowd even though I am a Christian. Between Native Americans and slavery, neither issue is indicitive of a people that were trying to establish a Christian nation on sound Biblical principles as is often asserted.
    IMO the west was expanded by people who often were saddled within the strict social structure that had carried over from europe and existed in the east. The need to better oneself and rise to a status that made life less hard was the main goal. The fact that they stumbled upon aborigines only gave them the excuse to act upon a whole other social structure with extreme malice.

Crazy stuff when you consider that it's fresh memories, the day before Custer was slaughtered the Reds lost to the Boston team 8-7

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    I'm too lazy to do a Google search to see if there was any issues and who's the representative...
    I did some Googling, Kitty. I noticed that in the last state elections in Minnesota, 92% of the Red Lake voters voted for a DFL party member. This 92% vote helped upset the 3-term Republican incumbant.

The Minnesota DFL party is the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (DFL). Their web-site has links to Democrat causes (no Repub. links) and are considered to be Democrats b/c the state has four major official parties: Republican, Constitution, DFL and Independence. Others like the Green Party are still valid there, but are considered minor parties as they are in almost all states.

In the 2004 presidential election, the votes for Minnesota as a state went:
    * Kerry - Edwards, 51% (1,445,014 votes)
    * Bush - Cheney, 48% (1,346,695 votes)

However, RED Lake County voted this way in 2004 for the presidency:
    * Kerry - Edwards, 44% (963 votes)
    * Bush - Chaney, 54% (1,164 votes)

The whole county of RED Lake only had 2,175 votes for president in 2004. As of July 2003, the entire county had a total of only 4,319 resdients. I would assume that a good percentage of eligible voters cast ballots in 2004.

RED Lake County voted like this for the one 2004 U.S. House seat in their district (Dem was the incumbant):
    * U.S. House Seat >> 79% Dem - 21% Repub.

The MN house seat vote makes you believe that they are heavily DEM. But they went for the Bush - Cheney in 2004. Perhaps they did not like the names on the DEM ticket? I am not sure. I was shocked that the county went for the Repubs in the 2004 presidential election.

Crazy stuff when you consider that it's fresh memories, the day before Custer was slaughtered the Reds lost to the Boston team 8-7
    And on RedsZone, more folks were concerned about the one run loss while Custer's last stand was relegated to a thread with three posts on the non-baseball chatter side of the board
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?