Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Broncos-Browns trade....

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Broncos-Browns trade....

Ok I just don't get it.

Why would the Browns trade for ANOTHER RB? And why are all the Browns defensive lineman going to Denver?

I'm just baffled by this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Broncos-Browns trade....

Who's involved? Droughns? Courtney Brown?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Droughns for Ekuban.

The Broncos had already picked up Courtney Brown (waivers) and Gerard Warren (trade) earlier in the offseason. With the addition of Ekuban, they now have 3/4 of Cleveland's starting defensive line from last season.

My guess is Crennel plans to start Droughns, spell him with Lee Suggs (who will also provide insurance in case of injury), and cut William Green. I wouldn't be too quick to make fun of the Browns. This deal essentially gives them the same type of HB setup that the Bengals have, with Droughns as battering ram (Rudi Johnson) and Suggs as their change of pace guy (Chris Perry).
    Last edited by Steve4192; 03-30-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Reuben Droughns for Ebenezer Ekuban. Not sure why the Broncos are trying to recreate the 2004 Browns, that doesn't seem like a blueprint for success.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Droughns for Ekuban.

The Broncos had already picked up Courtney Brown (waivers) and Gerard Warren (trade) earlier in the offseason. With the addition of Ekuban, they now have 3/4 of Cleveland's starting defensive line from last season.

My guess is Crennel plans to start Droughns, spell him with Lee Suggs (who will also provide insurance in case of injury), and cut William Green. I wouldn't be too quick to make fun of the Browns. This deal essentially gives them the same type of HB setup that the Bengals have, with Droughns as battering ram (Rudi Johnson) and Suggs as their change of pace guy (Chris Perry).
    Who needs a reason to make fun of the Browns?

Savage and Crennel have made more progress in improving this team in the last 2 months, then the crew of Policy, Clark and Davis did in the last 5 years at destroying it.

Good riddance to Brown and Warren.

The main thing Brown's management is doing is cleaning out bad attitudes from this organization by confronting players who were being paid well, but were problems. Take a look at the guys they got rid of, while also looking at the pickups they have signed from teams such as NE, Baltimore, TB, and Atlanta.

Droughns is a welcome addition, and will compliment Suggs. And Green may not be going anywhere either. But Cennel emphasizes the run, and by building up the O-line, and then getting another RB, he is doing that.

The word is that they are looking at another speedy receiver in the draft (that kid from South Carolina is one of them).

This will be an improved team next year.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Anything for Warren and Brown is an upgrade. The addressing of the OL with a couple cats that can actually play pleases me very much. No doubt it will be an improved team.

Woof!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I just don't understand getting another RB. Sure he had a good year, but I think a draft pick might have served better. I would imagine that William Green is done now. I don't see him as a 3rd string being good for the team.

Just remember, Droughns is a Denver back, so his numbers may not translate in another offensive system. The Browns still need a QB, among other things. Don't look for much from them, unless they're playing the Bengals of course.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I just don't understand getting another RB. Sure he had a good year, but I think a draft pick might have served better. I would imagine that William Green is done now. I don't see him as a 3rd string being good for the team.
    Look what they gave up for that Denver RB. I think it was a good deal.

When I look at our O-line, and it's pitiful performance these last few years (alot of key injuries also), then Green and Suggs are not bad backs. What would they have done behind a better line? I think they are both good runners.

And while the Browns have allowed Green to pursue a trade, no one is jumping at this guy (and he is cheap). I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't stay with the Browns. It's a good strategic move that this organization is doing IMO.

As far as the draft... the Browns have already stated they will draft the best player available. And that could be another RB (but IMO, I doubt it). I think they are going the WR route.

Either way, I like what they have done up to this point.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

The browns are still in the league? I thought they moved to Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Just remember, Droughns is a Denver back, so his numbers may not translate in another offensive system. The Browns still need a QB, among other things. Don't look for much from them, unless they're playing the Bengals of course.
    Alex Smith is a real possibility at no 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?