Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How many times would you guess you have driven under the influence of alcohol?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

35 52.24%
  • Less than 5

14 20.90%
  • Less than 20

9 13.43%
  • Unsure, but more than 20

9 13.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever make the mistake of driving drunk?

Did you ever make the mistake of driving drunk?

The Freel DUI thread inspired this thread. Please no sermons- driving drunk is stupid and needs to be punished. The % of people that have drove drunk was mentioned in that thread. Someone posted that 44% of people either have, or still do- not sure- I didn't read it that closely. Let's take our own little survey- the only 2 rules are to be honest and to not criticize soneone else's honesty. Lord knows I did plenty in my youth I don't want my kids repeating.
    Last edited by 919191; 04-06-2005 at 02:13 AM. Reason: title

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ever drive drunk?

I think the 44% was refering to how many people drink period. Not the number that drink and drive. It was in response to someone claiming 90% of "us" drink and drive.

If I said I never had I'd be lying. If I know I'm going to be drinking I always try to not have my car with me. Makes the decision not to drive a lot easier. That's been my strategy since I was in High School.

Ok, but I bet the % of us that have drove impaired is close to 90%, especially those of us cruising the bars before MADD arrived on the scene and drunk driving wasn't regarded as such a serious offense as it should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    If I said I never had I'd be lying. If I know I'm going to be drinking I always try to not have my car with me. Makes the decision not to drive a lot easier. That's been my strategy since I was in High School.

I wish that had been my strategy that early. Took me till about age 34 to realize that. That was 10 years ago- haven't drove drunk since and haven't even been drunk is 7 or 8 years. I am thankful I never had any incidents, but I was deserving of punishments countless times for years. Extremely irresponsible. I used to drink to the point of memory blackouts and still drive quite freqently. Now I seldom have more than 2 or 3 drinks and limit myself to 1 beer if I have to drive, and that is rare. I have little ones now I want to see grow up, and I don't want to deprive anyone else of seeing theirs grow up.

Re: Did you ever make the mistake of driving drunk?

Never for me, not once.

I've done plenty of things that I wish I hadn't done and would not want my kids to do, but driving while under the influence is not one of 'em.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I've delivered pizzas during a snowstorm while tripping on acid.

Cruisin' for trouble

Okay, let's try to clarify some things here. What qualifies as "under the influence"?

If you go to a poker game and have 2 beers in four hours?

If you and a couple co-workers go to a bar for a couple of drinks and an appetizer?

With a date and have a glass of wine for dinner?

Or are we only talking "legally" intoxicated, meaning .08 or higher on the breathalyzer?

Never have and never will. I will admit to driving on the same day as I drank one beer when I was younger, but only after allowing a long time (several hours) for the alcohol to be processed. Your liver can only handle about one drink per hour, regardless of how high you think your "tolerance" is. We are all built roughly the same internally.

In 2001 I and some friends were driving while intoxicated. We ended up flipping the car over on the freeway, having the vehicle hit by ~50mph oncoming traffic while we were upside-down, and although I was the only one to sustain any really serious injurues (I had my arm out the window), we all came very very close to dying that night.

So yeah - I've either driven or been riding with someone who was not just "under the influence," but piss-drunk, and God knows that I will never do it again.

Cabs and public transportation are my friend.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

The title of this thread is kinda misleading (and maybe untruthful in most case)..."Did you ever make the mistake of driving drunk?"

I got one almost 30 years ago (when the penalties we're as harsh as they are now), and it was the only one. But it wasn't a mistake. I, and most people, know what they are doing, and consciously think they can get away with it and not get caught. Especially when they've done it so many times in the past and never got stopped.

I got stopped last year about 15 minutes from my home, coming back from a Redszone gathering. But the deputy let me go after I passed the field sobriety tests. The reason he pulled me over was because he saw me cross the yellow line a couple times (I was on an old back country road). But my weaving was mainly due to extreme exhaustion and me nodding off (3 hr drive home after the game). But if he had pressed the issue and took me in for a breathalyzer test, I'm sure I was probably somewhere near the state limit.

I breathed a sigh of relief and made the vow to not take chances again (I knew better, it wasn't no mistake). So from now on when I come down to a ballgame, I'll make arrangements to stay in Cincy overnight.

So instead of using the word "mistake", maybe "poor judgment" should be substituted?
    Last edited by GAC; 04-06-2005 at 06:41 PM.

I see your point, bit I already edited the title. It was originally "ever drive drunk", but I thought it looked like it was created by someone that would brag about drunk driving, and I didn't like it, so I changed it to something a little negative sounding.

Never
    Go Gators!

never.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?