Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Team Droughts

Favorite Team Droughts

Since UNC has reached the Final Four it got me to thinking about what a long time its been since one of my teams has won it all. Its been a long time!

Cincinnati Reds - - won WS in 1990.

NY Giants - - won SB in 1991. But it was the 1990 season, and what a year that was for me. The Reds won the WS in October and then the Giants won the SB just 4 months later. Honestly, I think my drought is probably solely based on this good fortune 14 years ago.

ND Football - - won National Championship in 1988.

UNC basketball - - defeated Chris Webber and the Fab Five Michigan Wolverines in 1993.

So its been a 12 year drought for me, which sure seems like a long time. Hopefully it ends this Monday!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite Team Droughts

Well, let's see...

UK basketball last won the championship in 1998.
    UK football last finished the season ranked in the top ten in 1741.
    Reds and Bengals, 1990, of course.
    Boston Celtics last won NBA Championship in 1986.
    Michael Waltrip and Mark Martin, NASCAR, never, although Martin made the "playoffs" last year and has a few runner-ups in the title chase.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Oh, I forgot the Knicks. They have never won a championship while I have been following them. Their last one was 1973, and considering I was 4 at the time, I don't count it.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Pros

Jaguars...still waiting
    Before them..Redskins, 91, I had just become a fan at that point

Reds..90..I barely remember it being 9 at the time

Florida Gators
    Football..SEC 2000, NC 1996..I remember both well
    Basketball..SEC toruny this year..WOOO..reg season, 2001 I think..NC..maybe one day
    Go Gators!

Purdue Football: NC never, Big 10(Rose Bowl), 2000
    Purdue BB: lets just say John Wodden was a player
    Reds: 1990
    Bengals: 1989

Reds 1990
    Bengals 1989
    Marshall football 1-AA NC 1996, 1-A NC never, Mac Title 2002
    Marshall basketball hasn't won jack since before I was born
    Xavier basketball Elite Eight 2003-2004
    Columbus Crew perennial first round exit

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

My buckeyes won a national championship in football in 2003.

witnessed it in person.

I love me some Bengals, but what is all this talk about them winning a championship in 1989? I'm pretty sure they lost to the $@#% 49ers in the Superbowl.

If we are going to start counting conference titles in pro football, does that mean we should also count league pennants (baseball), regional winners (college hoops), and BCS appearances (college football)?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    I love me some Bengals, but what is all this talk about them winning a championship in 1989? I'm pretty sure they lost to the $@#% 49ers in the Superbowl.

If we are going to start counting conference titles in pro football, does that mean we should also count league pennants (baseball), regional winners (college hoops), and BCS appearances (college football)?
    I'm with you Steve - I didn't count the Giants trip to the SB in 2000, nor the Heels 3 Final Four trips since the 1993 title.

I'm only talking titles.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Post To Contact

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Well, let's see...

UK basketball last won the championship in 1998.
    UK football last finished the season ranked in the top ten in 1741.
    Reds and Bengals, 1990, of course.
    Boston Celtics last won NBA Championship in 1986.
    Michael Waltrip and Mark Martin, NASCAR, never, although Martin made the "playoffs" last year and has a few runner-ups in the title chase.
    Macro, we have all the same favorites, except instead of Mark Martin in NASCAR, I like Jeremy Mayfield, also from Owensboro, KY, like the Waltrips. I mainly pull for Mayfield and his teammate, Kasey Kahne. Mayfield made the "playoffs" last year also, and he led the points for a pretty good chunk of the season in 1998 when he was in the 12 car, but hadn't done anything between then and making the Chase last year. Things are looking up in all other sports though, Reds, Bengals, UK basketball should be stronger, losing just two from a mostly inexperienced Elite Eight team. Walker is back in Boston and they're in the playoff hunt at least... well, then there's UK football. Don't know what we'll ever do with that.

Reds 1990
    Bengals :thumbdown
    Buckeyes football- 2003 NC
    Buckeyes basketball-1998 Final Four
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I would love to see the Bengals win the Super Bowl. And I partied the night OSU beat Miami for the National Championship. But only two teams could bring tears to my eyes by winning it all: the Reds and Flyers.

Reds won a World Series in my lifetime. And I was sitting in left field red reserve second row for Game 1 of the Series. Priceless.

Dayton last appeared in the Final Four in 1967...before I was born. With the current "Have/Have Not" system in college sports, I'm not holding my breath for it to ever happen again...and that sucks. Excuse me if I pass on watching the same old faces in this year's Final Four...

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

The '02 football buckeyes brought tears to my eyes twice, for sure. once after the michigan game, and once after the fiesta bowl.

That '98 team should have won an NC also. I dont know if I have ever seen a football team that good.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed

That '98 team should have won an NC also. I dont know if I have ever seen a football team that good.
    Agreed...Even after Michigan State took the lead, I though the Bucks would score. They had first and 10 at the MSU 20 or something like that with four cracks at the end zone. I was in school at Bowling Green then and the town was in a daze all night after that game. That game ruined the weekend. That said...I still think OSU pounds Tennessee in the Fiesta Bowl if they were given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Donkey
    Macro, we have all the same favorites, except instead of Mark Martin in NASCAR, I like Jeremy Mayfield, also from Owensboro, KY, like the Waltrips. I mainly pull for Mayfield and his teammate, Kasey Kahne.
    I always liked DW and Michael, but just never could bring myself to root for Jeremy. I'm not sure why. He's seems nice enough, but just warmed up to him. I am a big Evernham fan, though, so to see either the 9 or the 19 succeed would be cool.

As for the other Owensboro boys, I liked David Green but couldn't stand his brother Jeff. For every ounce of class that David had, Jeff lacked it. Forever throwing fits and blaming someone for something.

It's amazing how one little town in northwest Kentucky has had such an impact on NASCAR.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?