Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Teaching little ones, and keeping it fun?

Teaching little ones, and keeping it fun?

Hey guys,

I play wiffle ball and our own version of baseball with TeamGriffey. We even have our own version of kickball called Yellow Ball. Pretty much no holds barred. I know you guys have a lot of experience with this. TG is 4. I want to play with him more this spring, yet teach him more. What sorts of things can I do to build his skills and keep it fun? He's actually a pretty good little pitcher, but not so confident at bat even with the tee. I don't want him to lose interest by pushing him. Just looking for some new backyard stuff.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Teaching little ones, and keeping it fun?

I love to play ball in the back yard with Rachel and Samuel. They are helping me to get into shape for that Redszone softball game.... or trying to send me to an early grave!

It's fun though teaching kids the fundamentals of the game of baseball. I'm looking forward to coaching again this year. I have more fun then the kids. While I am as competitive as the next guy, when it comes to kids, I believe in having fun. I have a guy at work that is very heavily into coaching, and this guy screams and yells at his kids. It's more about winning to him then anything else. Sad.

Have them clear brush!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I have a guy at work that is very heavily into coaching, and this guy screams and yells at his kids. It's more about winning to him then anything else. Sad.
    I watched my brother teach my nephew how to hit and square up his feet, etc. The way he went about it, I just watched the light drain out of my nephew's eyes. While my nephew knocked one out into the field, it was draining for him. I just don't want to take that approach.

I want to build TG's confidence without squashing his spirit, you know? I want him to enjoy whatever he tries, as long as he tries stuff.

I'm much better at showing him fossils and mud and worms and fish and building dams/bridges/waterfalls. I'm a rookie when it comes to teaching sports stuff.

It's really not my call, but he's my little buddy, so I want to introduce new games.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

How old is he, TC?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

4 is very young for anything even remotely serious.

Get a whiffleball set with a big bat. He needs repetitions now more than anything.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

He has a little T ball set. I think the key will be to get all of us out there for a silly game or two. He's in his greatest comfort zone when all the Teamsters are together in one spot.

He won't use the big bat because it doesn't look like the bats he sees at the Red's game ..... or something.

We'll see. It's a new spring and he blossoms with something new each week. I'm just in awe of watching this kid grow up.

Try setting the tee up in front of a fence- say about 3 feet. The little teamster can swing away and replace the ball without having to chase it. Repetition is the key to building muscle memory. Also, have him stand behind the tee a bit- the bat should meet the ball before it actually gets even with the batter- hitting takes place out front.

Turn Off Ads?