Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bionic eye will let the blind see

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Bionic eye will let the blind see

Nice to see something cool like this invented in the USA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4411591.stm

Blind people would be able to recognise faces with the device

US scientists have designed a bionic eye to allow blind people to see again.
    It comprises a computer chip that sits in the back of the individual's eye, linked up to a mini video camera built into glasses that they wear.

Images captured by the camera are beamed to the chip, which translates them into impulses that the brain can interpret.

The device has been designed by Professor Gislin Dagnelie at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore.

This is a revolutionary piece of technology and really has the potential to change people's lives

Anita Lifestone of the Royal National Institute for the Blind

Professor Dagnelie unveiled details at a Royal National Institute for the Blind conference in London on Monday.

Human trials will begin within a year, hopes Professor Dagnelie.

Although the images produced by the artificial eye are far from perfect, they could be clear enough to allow someone who is otherwise blind to recognise faces, he said.

The breakthrough is likely to benefit patients with the most common cause of blindness, macular degeneration, which affects 500,000 people in the UK.

This occurs when there is damage to the macular, which is in the central part of the retina where light is focussed and changed into nerve signals in the middle of the brain.

The implant bypasses the diseased cells in the retina and stimulates the remaining viable cells.

See the light

Professor Dagnelie said: "The retinal implant contains tiny electrodes. If you stimulate a single electrode, the person will see a single dot of light."

They have already tested implants containing a handful of electrodes, but the end device will contain 50-100 to give a better overall picture.

"We are hoping this will be enough for the person to be able to make their way through a building, find a door or window and avoid obstacles for example.

"To us, the images look very basic but for someone who was previously blind they are a massive step forward."

But he added: "There is still quite a bit of work that will be needed to fine tune it. Being able to see faces will be quite a bit down the line."

He said training the individual to learn how to interpret the blurry images should help.

Anita Lifestone of the RNIB, said: "This is a revolutionary piece of technology and really has the potential to change people's lives. But we need to be aware it is still some way in the future."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bionic eye will let the blind see

Finally there's help for GAC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This is very cool news
    Go Gators!

Quite an amazing advancement. But it's still years away from being marketable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Finally there's help for GAC.
    You know I was just thinking that "help" should solve a great deal of his computer related problems, and maybe he can even stop blaming the kids.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was thinking this would be great for umpires.
    /r/reds

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I was thinking this would be great for umpires.
    I bet Schilling would just LOVE that!

Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 04-06-2005 at 12:54 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Geordi rocks!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    You know I was just thinking that "help" should solve a great deal of his computer related problems, and maybe he can even stop blaming the kids.
    Curious how all his computer problems are the fault of his "kids"
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Geordi rocks!
    Who?!?!? I thought that was Kunta Kinte?

ws1990reds

I think this is a great thing for those that can't see. However, I'm pulling for nanotechnology (hope I got the correct science) to come with a technique to grow nerves and implant them so that a person can see as it was meant for him to see. I'd also like for there to be a true cure for hearing loss some day.

Turn Off Ads?