Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This can't possibly be true.

Re: This can't possibly be true.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican

Britain's Prince Charles will also attend; he's even delayed his wedding by a day. He'll be joined by British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

In a highly unusual move, Germany will be represented by both Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and by the country's president. Usually one or the other leader attends official ceremonies abroad.

French President Jacques Chirac and his wife will attend.

Spain's King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia will also attend. The Spanish delegation will also include Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero
    In my opinion, this seems to have been a logical gathering for a current Secretary of State to attend rather than someone who has not been President for a quarter of a century.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    In my opinion, this seems to have been a logical gathering for a current Secretary of State to attend rather than someone who has not been President for a quarter of a century.
    But he was the first US President to invite a Pope, who happened to be JPII to the White House.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    But he was the first US President to invite a Pope, who happened to be JPII to the White House.
    And they had met on more than one occassion. Had Rice ever met JPII?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

ws1990reds

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I don't know, but I would have given the nod to former President Carter over Condi Rice.
    I think that Condi Rice should hook up with Dan O'Brien. They do have one thing in common.

I'm thinking John Paul II didn't care that Carter wasn't there, and I don't either.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I'm thinking John Paul II didn't care that Carter wasn't there, and I don't either.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Let Condi focus on negotiating and mending the many broken fences around the world that Colin Powell couldn't seem to find the time to tend to. She doesn't need to be attending funerals.
    But this is not just your regular run-of-the-mill funeral. Whenever it involves a foreign head of state, or a dignitary such as the Pope, then it is a part of her job as Secretary of State.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    But this is not just your regular run-of-the-mill funeral. Whenever it involves a foreign head of state, or a dignitary such as the Pope, then it is a part of her job as Secretary of State.

Additionally, the pope is the absoloute monarch of Vatican City. So he is a foreign head of state as well.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Additionally, the pope is the absoloute monarch of Vatican City. So he is a foreign head of state as well.
    So going to funerals of all heads of states is her job?
    Did she go to Prince Rainer's funeral?
    I see she selectively does her job as she did her previous job.
    Face it folks, this was a calculated political move. Nothing more.

I still have read nothing to support the apparent assertion that Carter "deserved" to be part of the official delegation. If America could only send five people, why did Carter deserve to be part of the delegation, and of the five who did go, who was a less appropriate representative?

So going to funerals of all heads of states is her job?
    Did she go to Prince Rainer's funeral?
    I see she selectively does her job as she did her previous job.
    Face it folks, this was a calculated political move. Nothing more.
    Nobody has argued that Condi Rice should go to the funerals "of all heads of state." There is little comparsion between the effect Pope John Paul II had on world events and the effect had by Prince Rainer. As far as I know, Prince Rainer's effect on world events was limited to marrying Grace Kelly (not a bad decision BTW) and holding an annual Formula One race. Did Tony Blair, Gerhard Schroeder and Jacque Chirac all attend Rainer's funeral?
    If Jimmy Carter had wanted to go to Prince Rainer's funeral, that would have been fine by me.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 04-22-2005 at 10:47 AM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I still have read nothing to support the apparent assertion that Carter "deserved" to be part of the official delegation. If America could only send five people, why did Carter deserve to be part of the delegation?
    Apparently, the White House thought at some point that he was deserving.

From the article in post #6...
    "White House spokesman Scott McClellan earlier said the administration had invited Carter to join the delegation but that he would not be going."
    /r/reds

. Did Tony Blair, Gerhard Schroeder and Jacque Chirac all attend Rainer's funeral?
    Prince Rainer's Funeral in Monaco
    By Cihan News Agency
    Published: Friday 15, 2005
    zaman.com

The funeral of Europe's longest-reigning monarch Prince Rainier, who died on April 6 at 81, is to be held today. Nearly, 10,000 people are expected to attend the ceremony. He will be buried next to his late spouse Princess Grace Kelly. Rainer's son Prince Albert took the throne upon his father's death. Police have closed the streets for the funeral courtege. French President Jacques Chirac, King of Spain Juan Carlos, and Prince Andrew of Britain will attend the ceremony

http://www.zaman.com/?bl=hotnews&alt...50415&hn=18481

As I said before nothing more than a political motivated decision to attend. The Sec of State is the best representative to attend.....IN THE ABSENSE OF THE PRESIDENT. Now since the President attended there was no reason for her attendance. Except POLITICAL.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Except POLITICAL.
    Politicians making political decisions. Go figure.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

If it was a political decision, why was Bill Clinton part of the delegation?
    By the way, putting your argument in all capital letters doesn't necessarily make it any more persuasive.

Turn Off Ads?