Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How many times would you guess you have driven under the influence of alcohol?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

35 52.24%
  • Less than 5

14 20.90%
  • Less than 20

9 13.43%
  • Unsure, but more than 20

9 13.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you ever make the mistake of driving drunk?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Did you ever make the mistake of driving drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    I've delivered pizzas during a snowstorm while tripping on acid.
    That was you????

Hey, I want my money back. I was not amused by the Pepperoni and Chocolate Sprinkles.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    Okay, let's try to clarify some things here. What qualifies as "under the influence"?

If you go to a poker game and have 2 beers in four hours?

If you and a couple co-workers go to a bar for a couple of drinks and an appetizer?

With a date and have a glass of wine for dinner?

Or are we only talking "legally" intoxicated, meaning .08 or higher on the breathalyzer?
    The legal limit in Ohio is.08. But even if you are under that limit, and they can't site you for DUI, there are some other driving under the influence related charges they can hit you up with where the penalties are just as stiff/bad (depending on the judge/locale).

And the fact is that MADD wants to get the limit even lower, and IMO, that is being a bit unreasonable. But they have the political pull, and no judge/prosecutig attorney wants to be portrayed by MADD as "soft" on drinking and driving and tougher legislation.

Witht the exception of the Redszone gatherings in the summer, I don't go to bars. Alot of guys, after work, like to stop and have a couple beers. I won't do it because anymore, even after an hur or so there and 2-3 beers, you can get nailed. And even the law enforcement people I know say that DUI's and other "under the influence" related charges are an easy source of income for the local governments when you see all the fees, charges, and fines you have to pay.

Even after you have been to court and paid all court costs, lawyer fees, and fines, you still have to pay the state a $425 license re-instatement fee. Now someone explain that one to me?

I was stopped once late at night after leaving a bar. I was given a field sobriety test and passed. The cop let me go home. If he would have said I failed and I was under arrest I would have accepted it because I thought I was drunk. Needless to say that was a huge eye-opener and I would never put myself, or others, in that situation again.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    That was you????

Hey, I want my money back. I was not amused by the Pepperoni and Chocolate Sprinkles.

I'm like 919191. Entirely too many times I drove home way past the limit. Too many to count. I was the ultimate party animal for a long time. I have tempted fate so many times it's not even the least bit funny. For whatever kharmic reasons, I was never pulled over. I should have been.

But I stopped all that a long time ago. Probably about when I met my wife. So that's going on 22-23 years ago. These days, if I have a second beer, I hand the car keys to my wife. I figure I have exponentially burned up my 9 lives. Plus I want to set a good example for my kids.

Pay attention to the open sky

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Just wondering:

For those who have chosen "Never", I wonder what the difference is in actually knowing that your driving is impaired after X amount of beers. Do you know it's wrong to drink and drive because you've seen the effects and the results from other people? That has to be different than knowing it's wrong because you've driven under the influence and didn't like what it did to your ability to drive well and make good judgments.

For instance, I know I'm fine to drive after having 5 or 6 beers. I've done it many times...probably hundreds, and still do. But I'm not fine to drive after drinking more than that. I try not to do that anymore, and I haven't in awhile.

I guess I'm a bit like GAC. I've never wrecked or gotten in trouble for driving after I've been drinking a few beers. I'm not a danger to anybody. I feel like I'm fine to drive, and I don't feel bad at all about doing it. If I have a lot of beers, or any liquor, I find a different way to get home.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Turn Off Ads?