Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Buy Customer Arrested For Paying For His Purchase With $2 Bills

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Best Buy Customer Arrested For Paying For His Purchase With $2 Bills

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...cal-columnists
    (You can get a login for this article from bugmenot.com.)

A tale of customer service, justice and currency as funny as a $2 bill

Michael Olesker

March 8, 2005

PUT YOURSELF in Mike Bolesta's place. On the morning of Feb. 20, he buys a new radio-CD player for his 17-year-old son Christopher's car. He pays the $114 installation charge with 57 crisp new $2 bills, which, when last observed, were still considered legitimate currency in the United States proper. The $2 bills are Bolesta's idea of payment, and his little comic protest, too. For this, Bolesta, Baltimore County resident, innocent citizen, owner of Capital City Student Tours, finds himself under arrest.

Finds himself, in front of a store full of customers at the Best Buy on York Road in Lutherville, locked into handcuffs and leg irons.

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case.

Have a nice day, Mike.

"Humiliating," the 57-year old Bolesta was saying now. "I am 6 feet 5 inches tall, and I felt like 8 inches high. To be handcuffed, to have all those people looking on, to be cuffed to a pole -- and to know you haven't done anything wrong. And me, with a brother, Joe, who spent 33 years on the city police force. It was humiliating."

What we have here, besides humiliation, is a sense of caution resulting in screw-ups all around.

"When I bought the stereo player," Bolesta explains, "the technician said it'd fit perfectly into my son's dashboard. But it didn't. So they called back and said they had another model that would fit perfectly, and it was cheaper. We got a $67 refund, which was fine. As long as it fit, that's all.

"So we go back and pay for it, and they tell us to go around front with our receipt and pick up the difference in the cost. I ask about installation charges. They said, 'No installation charge, because of the mix-up. Our mistake, no charge.' Swell.

"But then, the next day, I get a call at home. They're telling me, 'If you don't come in and pay the installation fee, we're calling the police.' Jeez, where did we go from them admitting a mistake to suddenly calling the police? So I say, 'Fine, I'll be in tomorrow.' But, overnight, I'm starting to steam a little. It's not the money -- it's the threat. So I thought, I'll count out a few $2 bills."

He has lots and lots of them.

With his Capital City Student Tours, he arranges class trips for school kids around the country traveling to large East Coast cities, including Baltimore. He's been doing this for the last 18 years. He makes all the arrangements: hotels, meals, entertainment. And it's part of his schtick that, when Bolesta hands out meal money to students, he does it in $2 bills, which he picks up from his regular bank, Sun Trust.

"The kids don't see that many $2 bills, so they think this is the greatest thing in the world," Bolesta says. "They don't want to spend 'em. They want to save 'em. I've been doing this since I started the company. So I'm thinking, 'I'll stage my little comic protest. I'll pay the $114 with $2 bills.'"

At Best Buy, they may have perceived the protest -- but did not sense the comic aspect of 57 $2 bills.

"I'm just here to pay the bill," Bolesta says he told a cashier. "She looked at the $2 bills and told me, 'I don't have to take these if I don't want to.' I said, 'If you don't, I'm leaving. I've tried to pay my bill twice. You don't want these bills, you can sue me.' So she took the money. Like she's doing me a favor."

He remembers the cashier marking each bill with a pen. Then other store personnel began to gather, a few of them asking, "Are these real?"

"Of course they are," Bolesta said. "They're legal tender."

A Best Buy manager refused comment last week. But, according to a Baltimore County police arrest report, suspicions were roused when an employee noticed some smearing of ink. So the cops were called in. One officer noticed the bills ran in sequential order.

"I told them, 'I'm a tour operator. I've got thousands of these bills. I get them from my bank. You got a problem, call the bank,'" Bolesta says. "I'm sitting there in a chair. The store's full of people watching this. All of a sudden, he's standing me up and handcuffing me behind my back, telling me, 'We have to do this until we get it straightened out.'

"Meanwhile, everybody's looking at me. I've lived here 18 years. I'm hoping my kids don't walk in and see this. And I'm saying, 'I can't believe you're doing this. I'm paying with legal American money.'"

Bolesta was then taken to the county police lockup in Cockeysville, where he sat handcuffed to a pole and in leg irons while the Secret Service was called in.

"At this point," he says, "I'm a mass murderer."

Finally, Secret Service agent Leigh Turner arrived, examined the bills and said they were legitimate, adding, according to the police report, "Sometimes ink on money can smear."

This will be important news to all concerned.

For Baltimore County police, said spokesman Bill Toohey, "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."

The other day, one of Bolesta's sons needed a few bucks. Bolesta pulled out his wallet and "whipped out a couple of $2 bills. But my son turned away. He said he doesn't want 'em any more."

He's seen where such money can lead.
    /r/reds

Re: Best Buy Customer Arrested For Paying For His Purchase With $2 Bills

I haven't shopped at a Best Buy since 1996 when they tried the old bait and switch with me.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I haven't shopped at a Best Buy since 1996 when they tried the old bait and switch with me.
    I buy appliances there, because I've never found 'em cheaper anywhere else. I've got better sources for everything else they sell, though.
    /r/reds

That is ridiculous. I am not in favor of frivolous lawsuits, but this guy should get a whiole buncha $2 bills coming his way IMO.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    That is ridiculous. I am not in favor of frivolous lawsuits, but this guy should get a whiole buncha $2 bills coming his way IMO.

Id see about suing them if I was that guy.

As for the Cashier that said "'I don't have to take these if I don't want to." she should be fired.

I guess he should have used pennies.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

When I bought my Ipod, the clueless salesperson told me, as I bought it, that extra parts were included with the kit that I was more than upset to get home and find out weren't apart of the kit.

I went back, told the dept manager about it, who apologized several times, and told me I needed part X to do what I wanted, and he gave me a discount. I got home, and part X was also incorrect. Lets just say I wrote a not so happy note about the incompetence of employees and managers and dropped it off w/ the Best Buy Manager. I've never heard back.

For a Level Playing Field

For Baltimore County police, said spokesman Bill Toohey, "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."
    That's good... blame this on 9-11. BUNK! The Best Buy and the police there mishandled this whole thing. And they looked very ignorant in the way they handled it. My guess is that neither one knew that $2 bills existed.

I hate frivilous lawsuits. But this is one case where I think this guy should own that Best Buy store and a few police cruisers when it is all said and done. Not quite sure if I believe he remained as cool & calm as he described. Regardless he has every right to run the store and the police through the ringer IMO.

My guess... Best Buy hires people who seem to be nice (during the interview) and not on dope. They receive next to no training on the items that they sell. They are put on the showroom floor soon after being hired. After the first few times of going there, I learned this real quick. If not for the vast array of selection and the good prices, I wouldn't go there either. I have learned to know exactly what I want before going there.

Retired

I buy games, CD's and DVD's from Best Buy, but I won't purchase anything expensive there. I tried that a few times and I had to turn down the extended warranty about 34 times before I was able to get out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    I buy games, CD's and DVD's from Best Buy, but I won't purchase anything expensive there. I tried that a few times and I had to turn down the extended warranty about 34 times before I was able to get out the door.
    Whenever a store offers to SELL me a warranty, I always ask them why they don't stand by the products they're selling.

(One of my pet peeves.)
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    I avoid the sales job hassel by shopping online. Both Best Buy and Circuit City have it where you can do your shopping online and pick it up at the store. Really nice if you want to avoid the salespeople.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    I avoid the sales job hassel by shopping online. Both Best Buy and Circuit City have it where you can do your shopping online and pick it up at the store. Really nice if you want to avoid the salespeople.
    Not so nice if you want to see and compare products in person. This has been my biggest gripe with Ebay and the likes, how an I supposed to know its for me if I don't SEE it?

i hate best buy...it's one of those stores where no matter what you want, there is an issue. they are either out of stock, the line is three miles long, there's a code missing on the box, the manager has to approve something...it never fails...i learned my lesson a few years ago...it's actually pretty sad to, because i used to really like it there...circuit city gets my electronics business.

What's wrong with 2 dollar bills?
    Go Gators!

I've had several bad experiences with Best Buy. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with Best Buy.

Circuit City gets my money.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?