Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Buy Customer Arrested For Paying For His Purchase With $2 Bills

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Re: Best Buy Customer Arrested For Paying For His Purchase With $2 Bills

If we don't all pay with twenties then the terrorists have already won.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    If we don't all pay with twenties then the terrorists have already won.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Having him arrested was as queer as a $3 bill. :

(I hope that phrase isn't offensive to anyone - please delete if so.)

Seriously, perhaps he ought to go back to the same store and buy something else, using all $2 bills again, just to see what they say to him - especially if the same lady is there.

If he's not planning to sue, perhaps something like that - done in a very smug and arrogant "I told you so" way - might be kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    I buy games, CD's and DVD's from Best Buy, but I won't purchase anything expensive there. I tried that a few times and I had to turn down the extended warranty about 34 times before I was able to get out the door.
    I avoid the sales job hassel by shopping online. Both Best Buy and Circuit City have it where you can do your shopping online and pick it up at the store. Really nice if you want to avoid the salespeople.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    I avoid the sales job hassel by shopping online. Both Best Buy and Circuit City have it where you can do your shopping online and pick it up at the store. Really nice if you want to avoid the salespeople.
    Not so nice if you want to see and compare products in person. This has been my biggest gripe with Ebay and the likes, how an I supposed to know its for me if I don't SEE it?
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

i hate best buy...it's one of those stores where no matter what you want, there is an issue. they are either out of stock, the line is three miles long, there's a code missing on the box, the manager has to approve something...it never fails...i learned my lesson a few years ago...it's actually pretty sad to, because i used to really like it there...circuit city gets my electronics business.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    My late grandfather, who never met a superstition he didn't like, believed that $2 bills were bad luck. They certainly were for this guy.
    Wonder where that came from. My grandmother used to say the same thing; she'd give away any $2 bill she got.

I've been carrying a $2 bill I received in change when I visited Monticello for about a year and a half now. It's been a lousy year and a half.

Maybe I should have listened.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I've had several bad experiences with Best Buy. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with Best Buy.

Circuit City gets my money.
    I had a terrible experience with Circuit City a few years ago. Only my threat of a lawsuit, which had some credibility given my occupation, resolved the matter in my favor.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

"So we go back and pay for it, and they tell us to go around front with our receipt and pick up the difference in the cost. I ask about installation charges. They said, 'No installation charge, because of the mix-up. Our mistake, no charge.' Swell.

"But then, the next day, I get a call at home. They're telling me, 'If you don't come in and pay the installation fee, we're calling the police.' Jeez, where did we go from them admitting a mistake to suddenly calling the police? So I say, 'Fine, I'll be in tomorrow.' But, overnight, I'm starting to steam a little. It's not the money -- it's the threat. So I thought, I'll count out a few $2 bills."
    If they tried to get me to come back and pay for something that they said was going to be free, and then said if I did not they were going to call the law, I would tell them to go get there selves F'ed. I would not even consider paying it at all. Not even with pennies. This reminds me of that "wuss doll" commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Red Smokey
    If they tried to get me to come back and pay for something that they said was going to be free, and then said if I did not they were going to call the law, I would tell them to go get there selves F'ed. I would not even consider paying it at all. Not even with pennies. This reminds me of that "wuss doll" commercial.
    Me too. I'd be like, "Ok, take the radio out and put it back in the box, and give me my money back"..

No "deal" is worth all that BS. I'd pay $15 more (or whatever) for it elsewhere.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

When I was an altar boy, I used to get tipped in $2 bills for weddings.

As far as Best Buy goes, I had a crazy mix-up with them that actually ended up working out in my favor. I wanted to get a DirectTV setup with a dish and a Tivo box, which they were offering for $99, with a $50 rebate. The girl who sold me the set said that the deal included 4 free additional receivers. I specifically asked her if I needed to have the receivers hooked up and she says "Oh no. People who sign up for service only need to have one receiver hooked up. You can save the rest for later, in case you want to have additional rooms hooked up...or you could sell them on eBay." So I say, "whatever, what about the Tivo Receiver." Of course, it was out of stock, so it would have to be shipped from another store. I was concerned because I knew that the warranty required purchase of the receiver at the same time as the dish. She says "Don't worry, you will get a rebate because we have a record of your purchase in the computer."

When I go in a week later to pick up the Tivo receiver, no rebate, as I expected. I immediately spoke with the manager, giving him the names of both the people I spoke to. I also had the brilliant idea of having the girl who helped me write down her name, the product number, and the promise of the $50 rebate. When I showed them to the manager, he rolled his eyes and simply took $50 off the price!

The installer later told me that I needed to have all of the receivers hooked up or I would be charged $150 for each one. Needless to say, I took back the four 'free' receivers and told them they need to make sure their sales staff is aware of the terms of the offer before they tell customers what it does or does not entail.

The thing that bothered me wasn't that the chick screwed up. I was actually delighted that she screwed up on the rebate, because it worked out that I got the $50 rebate without having to mail anything in. No, what bothered me was that she obviously didn't have any clue what she was talking about and just made stuff up. If I ask questions, it's okay to say "I don't know" or "let me get back to you on that." You won't lose the sale.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

BB sales people make peanut wages and get no commissions. Expecting broad product expertise from them is nothing but a pipedream.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    BB sales people make peanut wages and get no commissions. Expecting broad product expertise from them is nothing but a pipedream.
    Yep, I certainly wouldn't ask a BB person about which computer or TV has better performance or more reliable. Better to just bring along a bunch of printouts from Consumer Reports. But they should know the terms of their own deals.

If I ask questions, it's okay to say "I don't know" or "let me get back to you on that." You won't lose the sale.
    Actually, it's very good customer service to say, "I'll go find out and I'll be right back," as long as you actually follow through with that promise.

I worked in retail while I was in college and grad school. Good customer service is so bloody simple. It baffles me when people can't manage to provide it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?