Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Calling all web developers...

Calling all web developers...

My job is webmaster for a community college. We have recently decided to switch to a Content Management System called phpWebsite. I like a lot of it's features, but I don't feel it is quite what we need. As it's name indicates, it is php based with a mySQL backend. I have had it hacked quite a bit by myself, and a few others in the phpWebsite community, including an incredible programmer from Austria.

In discussing phpWS with him we have come to the conclusion that while we like the product, we think it could be a lot better. phpWS was based on phpNuke. So we are going one further. Three of us from the U.S., Austria nad Denmark are designing our own CMS.

I'd like some input on features you think are important to a CMS. Permissions, group permissions, categorizing content etc. Also if anyone is interested in joining the development team, well the more the merrier.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Calling all web developers...

Hey TRF - I'm a Software Engineer, and have recently been tasked with finding a suitable CMS for our Intranet/Internet/Extranet. I have a ton of requirements from various groups in the company. I'm currently in the process of compiling the requirements into a list to go off of.

Here's just of brief list of key components that I would find useful in a CMS. Keep in mind a lot of these requirements are based on an Intranet site. I'm not sure what phpWebsite offers, I'll have to take a look. Once I'm done compiling our list, I should be able to add more.

1. A training module, where in house training guides can be kept, as well as schedules of upcoming company training, where users can sing up for said training courses.
    2. Version management of documents, especially on shared documents.
    3. Intergration into LDAP, particularly if the CMS is Unix based.
    4. Employee time management, time sheets, vacation requests.
    5. Calendar system, ideally that can be integrated into Exchange calendar(?)
    6. Phone directory, one that can be customized for either a particular department in a company or the whole company.

I'm sure the calendar and phone directory are staples in most CMS systems, but from experience using SharePoint, they aren't quite as customizable as I would have liked.

Like I said, hopefully soon I'll be able to add more things as I go through the requirements I have.

eupher,

Thanks for the interest. here is the link to the site we are discussing it on: www.kiesler.at Click on forums, then on Flexo7. That's the name we came up with.

For your immediate problem, I'd checkout phpwebsite, kiesler.at, and www.phpwsforums.com

You'll likely find what you need there.

Thanks for the link. I checked out the forums a little bit. I'll spend some more time over the next couple of days. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some constructive ideas over their.

we need all the help we can get, and everyone is great about offering help on phpwebsite, if you go that route.

Welcome aboard.

I'd like to get involved in this as well TRF. I gather you are trf000 on that forum?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I'd like to get involved in this as well TRF. I gather you are trf000 on that forum?
    that'd be me. Glad to have you aboard.

Rene is kind of theteam leader on this. his handl is Rck.

I'll post on his site that I have "recruited" the two of you, and anyone else that want's to joiin (Ace, i'm talkin to you...)

Again, thanks for the interest.

What we are looking for right now is suggestions for features, and suggestions about the features we have come up with.

bump.

still looking for a few adventerous programmers wanting to be famous.

ws1990reds

TRF, I have *some* programming background (a little knowledge in C++, PHP, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and now learning Python). If you still need some help, I'm interested in writing some scripts, updating documentation, etc. PM if you still need some help!

you are more than welcome to join. See the sites above and register on them.

Turn Off Ads?