Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ultimate Fighter...octagon match!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    pdevo

Ultimate Fighter...octagon match!!!

Hey guys,

I just heard that the final ultimate fighter show is going to be aired
    live on cable tv this Saturday (on Spike, not ppv!) which means itīll
    be freeeee. Three matches are suppose to go down, two for the
    middleweight and light heavyweight championships, and one more with
    SHAMROCK, "the worldīs most dangerous man". Iīve seen him fight once
    before (i think it was on the ultimate knockouts video) and heīs pretty
    brutal. Any1 else been following the matches?

pd

Post To Contact

Re: Ultimate Fighter...octagon match!!!

Yeah, the guy Shamrock's fighting is Rich Franklin, a math teacher from Cincinnati. He's pretty tough too, he's taken down some mean guys. Wouldn't be shocked if he beat ol' Shammy. The show's really good, I've followed UFC from its infancy, but it's been especially good the last couple years, since Dana White became President, because he tried to weed out what turned many of the fans from the beginning away from UFC - that one guy gets on top of the other and just lies there. Slugging it out is cool, and wrestling is cool when someone is actually trying to advance their cause, try to gain position or make their opponent tap out, but just lying there and catching a round-long breather is ridiculous and I'm glad they changed the rules up to get rid of that stuff. UFC is back on the upswing, and the Ultimate Fighter show is helping its popularity.

I didnt know Rich Franklin was a teacher from Cincinnati, and it turns out he taught Math at Oak Hills High School. I knew the guy looked familer when I saw him on tv, but I didnt know he taught at Oak Hills. I didnt have him for a teacher, but I think one of my cousins might have.

Franklin kicked Shamrock's butt - didn't even last a round.

The light heavyweight "contract" match was solid! So solid that they gave out two contracts instead of the planned one.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Post To Contact

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Franklin kicked Shamrock's butt - didn't even last a round.

The light heavyweight "contract" match was solid! So solid that they gave out two contracts instead of the planned one.
    Yeah, I figured Franklin was gonna beat Shamrock, but I didn't think it'd be THAT quick. Shamrock has definitely lost a step (or six) over the years, and I think he was getting hyped back up as a legitimate modern contender because he came back last summer and beat Kimo in the main event of a UFC pay-per-view. Problem was, Kimo is about as old and weathered as Shamrock, so he wasn't at the speed and reflex disadvantage against Kimo that he was against Franklin.

Franklin promptly announced he was dropping out of the light heavyweight and back into the middleweight division, where he normally fights. He went up for the Shamrock fight to get exposure, but the light heavyweights are the premiere division in UFC as far as star power goes. Would not be shocked at all to see Franklin get the next shot at the Middleweight Title and maybe even win it... that title will probably be up for grabs at the next UFC PPV, after this one coming up Saturday.

And yes, the light heavyweight bout was a whale of a fight, the stuff of legends. One of the best MMA fights I've EVER seen. Both guys deserved the contract. I figured some would complain, because with reality and talent search shows like American Idol and all that, you see the third or fourth place finisher routinely get record deals or prizes or what have you themselves, somewhat cheapening the WINNING aspect of it, but there is no way both of those guys, Griffin and Bonnnar, didn't deserve UFC contracts.

Searched for this post and found it... here's an update...

Rich Franklin defeated Evan Tanner this past Saturday night and claimed the UFC World Middleweight Title. Not only did he win the title, but he also won one of the two "Coaching" positions on the next Ultimate Fighter season that will begin filming shortly and will launch on Spike TV in late August (same time as before, Monday nights at 11:05pm). UFC World Welterweight Champion Matt Hughes is the other coach, and supposedly the crop of fighters competing on the next series is outstanding.

BTW, Franklin lives in West Chester and trains at JG Mixed Martial Arts Academy in Middletown, which is run by Jorge Gurgel. He also has his own web site at http://www.richfranklin.com
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

BTW, here's a photo gallery of that MW fight...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures...0Evan%20Tanner

Rich is in the American Fighter shirt in the top row of pictures. Tanner is the guy whose face is beat to a pulp near the bottom of the gallery.

Post To Contact

Hey, looking back at the thread, I called it... the title shot and title win for Franklin. It was impressive too, because Evan Tanner is a really good fighter, and this is twice now that Franklin has had his way with him in a fight. In fact, I could be wrong, but I believe they are the only two losses Tanner has had in UFC in years.

For those hooked into UFC behind the star power of Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture from season one of "The Ultimate Fighter" show, they both are back in action at the next UFC pay-per-view, UFC Boiling Point, in early August. Liddell defends the Light Heavyweight Title (that he won from Couture in April) against Jeremy Horn (who owns a win over Liddell in UFC and Chuck's adament about avenging the loss). Couture looks to bounce back by fighting Mike Van Arsdale in what could be the most accomplished fight ever between wrestlers in UFC; I believe both are former NCAA national champions. In what should be a sweet welterweight match, the last two guys who lost high-profile matches to champion Matt Hughes now get to fight each other, Frank Trigg against Georges St. Pierre. Also, Diego Sanchez, the middleweight winner from season one of "T.U.F." makes his PPV debut on this card.

The best news for UFC fans is this isn't the next card overall. Their new TV deal with Spike TV calls for six more TV specials, two for the remainder of this year and four for 2006. The next free TV card is coming up, I think a week or two ahead of the PPV. I heard that one of the more well-known characters from the reality show, Chris Leoban (the red-headed southpaw) will be fighting veteran "Predator" Patrick Cote in one of the featured fights on the TV card. I think it'll be like PPV, seven or eight fights over two-and-a-half or three hours, just not as high profile fights as the PPV. More details about the card and such should be out soon.

UFC should really pay me for hyping them....

For anybody who may be interested ... SpikeTV is airing the rematch of the The Ultimate Fighter finales of Griffin vs. Bonnar and Sanchez vs. Florian. They are also airing two of the undercard fights that were not shown live (and haven't been released yet, I don't think) of Alex Karalexis vs. Josh Rafferty and Mike Swick vs. Alex Schoenauer.

You can catch the fights on Spike TV tonight at 11:05pm eastern time.

You guys want to know something hilarious? That opening post was spammed all over the internet:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

SpikeTV or the UFC actually put people to work doing this.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?