Turn Off Ads?

Thread: AFL Player Dies From Spinal Cord Injury

AFL Player Dies From Spinal Cord Injury

Associated Press
    Posted: 1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former NFL defensive lineman Al Lucas died on Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury sustained while trying to make a tackle for the Los Angeles Avengers during an Arena Football League game, the team said.

Lucas was taken to California Hospital and all attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, team physician Dr. Luga Podesta said in a statement.
    Members of the team were prohibited from speaking to the media after the game. A call to a California Hospital spokesman was not returned.

"It is with great sadness that we confirm the passing of Al Lucas. At this time, the thoughts and prayers of the entire Avenger organization are with his wife and family," team owner and chief executive officer Casey Wasserman said in a statement.

The 26-year-old Lucas was injured during a first-quarter kickoff return against the New York Dragons.

Television replays showed Lucas bending down to make a tackle. The Dragons' ball carrier and a blocker tumbled over his head and back, with the blocker's leg appearing to hit Lucas in the head. Lucas did not move after falling to the ground.

The 6-foot-1, 300-pound (1.86-meter, 135-kilogram) lineman played two seasons (2000-01) for the Carolina Panthers.

He was selected to the Arena League's All-Rookie team in 2003 while playing for Tampa Bay.

"Al Lucas played arena football with passion and integrity. The entire AFL family extends its deepest sympathies to Al's wife and family as well as his friends, family and teammates," commissioner David Baker said in a statement.

Lucas was married to De-Shonda Lucas and had a daughter, Mariah.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: AFL Player Dies From Spinal Cord Injury

This tragedy could prove the downfall of a league with limited finances. Surely, there will be costly legal action or a hefty increase in the league's insurance premiums.
    /r/reds

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    This tragedy could prove the downfall of a league with limited finances. Surely, there will be costly legal action or a hefty increase in the league's insurance premiums.
    Why? Was there any negligence of AFL medical personnel? People die in high school football games all the time. We still have high school football.
    Stick to your guns.

Everytime something like this happens - or a player is paralyzed - I think about that helmet they use and the way they tackle. Something like this doesn't appear to be the player's fault but I did a paper in high school about violence in football and I came across a lot of material - this was the early 80s - about how the helmet was a huge factor in players getting paralyzed or killed. Sadly, I don't think it's improved much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Everytime something like this happens - or a player is paralyzed - I think about that helmet they use and the way they tackle. Something like this doesn't appear to be the player's fault but I did a paper in high school about violence in football and I came across a lot of material - this was the early 80s - about how the helmet was a huge factor in players getting paralyzed or killed. Sadly, I don't think it's improved much.
    I was involved in litigation a few years ago in a case concerning a high school player who was paralyzed following a tackle in a game his senior year. There were allegations that the helmet was defective, but even a perfectly functioning helmet cannot protect against all such injuries.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For a Level Playing Field

Sad. But as we all know, it is a very violent sport. Many players have died playing football since the game was founded. Same goes for auto/motorcycle racing and boxing.

I do not really understand who (fans I mean) gets into this Arena Football thing. I have not been able to watch more than 5 minutes of it on TV at one time. I have never been to an indoor football game, so perhaps you have to "be there" to get it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Why? Was there any negligence of AFL medical personnel? People die in high school football games all the time. We still have high school football.
    I'm thinking of the Korey Stringer tragedy and the resulting lawsuits. Surely, there is some angle that could be taken to make this case actionable and I don't think the Arena League has the resources to absorb a big financial hit.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?