Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Telecommuting - good or bad?

Cruisin' for trouble

Telecommuting - good or bad?

I work just south of the DC area (Quantico) and live even further south. When I moved to the area in '98, the commute was about 30 minutes to work, 45 minutes home. I've since moved twice, mainly because the traffic issues have made it near impossible to get around. My commute today is 45 minutes in, 60-90 minutes home.

Many businesses in the area are exploring telecommuting. Several articles in the local paper talk it up. However, my employer is rather slow on the uptake.

From those of you with knowledge of telecommuting - is it a good or bad? How often do you telecommute?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Telecommuting - good or bad?

How often do you telecommute?
    I have my whole life, in fact I've only worked in an office for 3 months total the last 13 years. Granted I did have to fly to Atlanta every 8 weeks for 6 years and work in an office there for a week or 2. I couldn't imagine a 1/2 commute every day or one that was even longer.

My commute is 2 miles (or ~5 minutes). I love it (and was one of the reasons I bought the house I did). My old commute was ~20 minutes and I'd hate to go back.

A telecommute would be even better! Too bad my job can't handle that...

I used to telecommute 2-3 days a week. Definitely nice having that commute time and gas money back. Be aware of loca/city tax issues.

Having a dedicated office or office space with a separate phone line is a must IMHO. If you need to be networked in, VPN over broadband works well.

With kids around, it gets a little tough. My kids stayed away from me but the older they got, the more friends they had around and the noisier it got.

I had trouble keeping work and home separate. Working at an office helps keep that separation.

Just me though, your mileage may vary.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Like Roy said, a lot depends on your family situation.. I've tried it a couple times, but my wife just can not resist coming and talking to me like 100 times during the day.
    Or the kids need something. Even though I had a 45 minute commute each way, it was only worth telecommuting on a "slow" day. If I had piles of work to do, it just wasn't productive.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

My wife works M & T in the office, and Wednesdays at home.

I take the kiddo into daycare M-W.

Wednesday is by far my wife's most productive day. She usually wraps up everything early enough to either take care of a chore or three, or pick up the kiddo a couple hours early.

In short, our family gives telecommuting a great big

i work a 4 day compressed workweek...one of those days is from home...i still get up at the same time that i normally would, but start working right away...i wait and take a shower at lunchtime, so this allows me to log off about an hour and a half earlier when i'm at home...probably 40% of my office does it in one form or another...i've been doing this for over 3 years now, but some have been doing it for up to 5...it's a really great program once you develop the discipline...

Turn Off Ads?