Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Junior Wouldn't Object to a Gay Teammate

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Junior Wouldn't Object to a Gay Teammate

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/3534808?print=true
    Poll shows mixed reviews about gays in sports

Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - A majority of Americans believe there is nothing wrong with openly gay male athletes participating in sports, but nearly 24 percent think an openly gay athlete would hurt their team, according to an NBC/USA Network poll.

The mixed results of the survey on American attitudes toward gay athletes appear in the latest issue of Sports Illustrated, which hits newsstands on Wednesday. Of the 979 people interviewed, 86 percent agreed it is OK for openly gay men to play sports, but some seemed to back off when asked if that could hurt their team. "It was like, I'm OK with this, but if you press me, I have some doubts," said Doug Schoen, whose firm, Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates, conducted the poll.

The views of athletes also seem to be mixed when they are asked about the issue. When Esera Tuaolo came out after his NFL playing career ended, Sterling Sharpe said his former teammate was smart to hide his sexuality.

"Had he come out on a Monday, with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday practices, he'd have never gotten to the other team," Sharpe said.

But Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. said he wouldn't have a problem accepting a gay teammate.

"Wouldn't bother me at all. If you can play, you can play," he said.

In another mixed result from the poll, 79 percent of respondents agreed Americans are more accepting of gays in sports today than they were 20 years ago. But 62 percent agreed the reason there is so little coverage of gays in sports is that America is not ready to accept gay athletes.

Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates conducted interviews among the general population from March 18-21. The margin of error sampling is +/- 3.1 overall.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Junior Wouldn't Object to a Gay Teammate

An openly gay athelete would hurt the team, no doubt about it.

Junior is just not trying to cause any controversy - he has learned something in dealing with the media.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I dont oppose an openly gay baseball player and I am firmly against the lifestyle. If the person can play, he should...

The problem is this is not a perfect world and some men might be unconfortable being around a man who digs on other men. That can effect a person's psyche fair or not. This in turn will effect the teams chemistry...

I have always gone by the "Hate the sin, love the sinner" and its a damn good motto to live by if you ask me.

Reds and 26.2's

Im guessing there have been more gay players than the average fan would have guessed that have played MLB.....

Personally, I don't have an opinion to which players would object or not.....

.......not that there's anything wrong with that......

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I dont oppose an openly gay baseball player and I am firmly against the lifestyle. If the person can play, he should...

The problem is this is not a perfect world and some men might be unconfortable being around a man who digs on other men. That can effect a person's psyche fair or not. This in turn will effect the teams chemistry...

I have always gone by the "Hate the sin, love the sinner" and its a damn good motto to live by if you ask me.
    Saying that gay players would be a problem because of how their teammates would react is an excuse. That was a major reason African American players were kept out of MLB until 1947.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I dislike the point of view that some naive, self-centered athletes seem to have about a potentially gay teammate. It's like they all think that a gay teammate is automatically going to be attracted to them just for the sole fact that they're gay, so in turn the athlete feels 'uncomfortable'. It's highly ignorant.
    And because of a number of athletes holding this point of view, a gay teammate is going to be blown entirely out of proportion by the media, the public, and I'm sure one or two loudmouth idiots already on the team (Hi, Terrell Owens) that have some sort of need to put fuel to an unnecessary fire. Of course the media will jump on this, in turn making the entire team uncomfortable because of the heightened attention on themselves for simply having a teammate that is different in some way.

So through THAT cycle, and not the cycle that the whole entire team thinks that a gay athlete is passe, I'm sure it would probably put strain on the team's chemistry. I really do not think that most professional athletes are seriously, truly bothered by the knowledge that there is an openly gay teammate in their clubhouse. I'm sure there are gay male athletes now, they're just not out to the entire freakin' world. And given the absolute firestorm that would come from an 'outing' like no other, they're probably pretty smart to keep their own business to themselves.

But for some reason, women's tennis, golf, softball, and basketball has survived under the radar with athletes that have come out. It's the heightened emphasis on men's sports in this country, combined with the effect that it would have on the 'macho' majority of guys that watch sports, that have prevented a gay male baseball/football player from coming out while active in the professional leagues. It will happen someday soon, and while it may not be pretty, it's almost necessary.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I agree with JR.

If dude can play ball, he can play ball. Regardless of how I feel about his lifestyle.

They call me "chef"

This probably isn't PC to say, but imagine you (a guy) getting invited to play on the US Women's National soccer team and changing in the locker room with them. You won't be necessarily be attracted to each girl, but....you get what I mean? Does that put a certain perspective on things? I know there is more than one.

Good for Jr. Outstanding quote.

1990WorldChamps

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Saying that gay players would be a problem because of how their teammates would react is an excuse. That was a major reason African American players were kept out of MLB until 1947.
    Bam! Homerun for Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Dude, I said I dont care if they played. Im just saying on a chemistry level, it would be a problem like it was a problem when African Americans were integrated. I would be for that if I lived in those days and im all for gays playing now...I simply stated it's not a perfect world and players would most likely have discomfort level.

(oh, and comparing race and sexual preference is apple and oranges, FYI)

Quote Originally Posted by 1990WorldChamps
    Bam! Homerun for Chip.
    He swung and missed because he misunderstood me...

(oh, and comparing race and sexual preference is apple and oranges, FYI)
    Not really. Both about a minority status, the fight for public acceptance and public & legal rights and recognition. But this is a baseball board.......so that'll be the end of it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkerforpres
    Not really. Both about a minority status, the fight for public acceptance and public & legal rights and recognition. But this is a baseball board.......so that'll be the end of it for me.

Why is there this NEED to be recognized and put into some group regarding how you like to have sex? Religion, race and sex is the only real statuses people are placed into. Why the necessity to be placed in a box based on how you score? Give me a break.

Why is there this NEED to be recognized and put into some group regarding how you like to have sex?
    You've gotta be kidding me.
    I'm not even going to bother to list the 9 million instances of heterosexual-pandering and recognition I could go on and on about. Or your incredibly naive viewpoint that sexuality is all about what you LIKE to do.

Seriously. Forget it.

Turn Off Ads?