Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Skyline

72 66.06%
  • Gold Star

24 22.02%
  • Other - (Dixie, Empress, etc.)

6 5.50%
  • None - It's an acquired taste, and I never purchased it.

7 6.42%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldstar or Skyline?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Goldstar or Skyline?

/r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Goldstar hands down, though I like Skyline too. But Dixie Chili is awesome if you crave something a little different!

Why they don't have Cincinnati Chili everywhere is beyond me.
    Some folks tried to start one here in PDX... it crashed faster than Amelia Earhart.

Me? I prefered GS.... lived above one in Mt Washington, it was all over then.

Portland is an odd place for such an establishment. You would really want to start in a place that had more Cincinnati transplants. Portland's a beautiful city, though!

You would really want to start in a place that had more Cincinnati transplants.
    No kidding... that said I know 4 Cincinnatians who live in PDX... 3 of them gave the chili a thumbs down.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Camp Washington Chili.
    Good call, MWM.

About six times the fat of Skyline, the most crucial ingredient. The new digs aren't as fun as the old place, but that chili will never change.

Generally, it's not fair to just compare Goldstar and Skyline. Lot's of great small places in town; Pleasant Ridge, Delhi Chili and any restaurant run by a greek family, of which there are about a zillion.

When I was a kid my dad's favorite was Empress. I don't think they are around anymore.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

When I was a kid my dad's favorite was Empress. I don't think they are around anymore.
    They were good.... I also liked Moonlite Chili, used to be near Gold Circle Mall off Reading Road?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Good call, MWM.

About six times the fat of Skyline, the most crucial ingredient. The new digs aren't as fun as the old place, but that chili will never change.

Generally, it's not fair to just compare Goldstar and Skyline. Lot's of great small places in town; Pleasant Ridge, Delhi Chili and any restaurant run by a greek family, of which there are about a zillion.

A new Empress just opened downtown, at Seventh and Vine.

Since I'm not that big of a chili fan I like the places that have character: Pleasant Ridge Chili, Camp Washington Chili, Blue Ash Chili, the Oakley Skyline on Madison, the old Price Hill Skyline, the Kenwood Skyline is OK.

For Cincinnati food, I'll take LaRosa's.

For Cincinnati food, I'll take LaRosa's.
    Oh, the magical words. Best...pizza...ever.

Goldstar is AWFUL.

Skyline forever....Goldstar never

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Oh, the magical words. Best...pizza...ever.
    I can't stand that stuff... my in-laws always make us get it and I can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I can't stand that stuff... my in-laws always make us get it and I can't stand it.
    Blasphemy!

When I was down in Florida a few weeks ago, I went to Clearwater Beach and they had a Skyline there. It was a real franshise and it was exactly the same as the original. The lady said they do really good business there, but it sits right on the beach on a second floor with an outdoor deck bar.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    Blasphemy!
    Nah.... good taste.

Best Pizza ever?

http://www.zacharys.com/

Zachary's Pizza - San Francisco Bay Area's best pizza since 1983. Award winning stuffed, deep dish, Chicago style pizza and thin crust pizza. Restaurant locations in Berkeley and Oakland, California. Over 70 Best Pizza awards!

I don't like LaRosa's pizza at all. I never understood why people thought it was so good. I worked there for a while even. I hate how sloppy they are with it. I don't like tp eat pizza where the the sauce is running all off the side of the crust. I've been to pizza joints throughout the country and LaRosas shouldn't even be in the conversation, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?