Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Skyline

72 66.06%
  • Gold Star

24 22.02%
  • Other - (Dixie, Empress, etc.)

6 5.50%
  • None - It's an acquired taste, and I never purchased it.

7 6.42%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Goldstar or Skyline?

Re: Goldstar or Skyline?

I like Skyline. Alas there isn't one any where close to where I live, so I have a friend send me some packaged chili mix from Kroger each season. It isn't the same but it's better than nothing on opening day.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Not only is the taste aquired, but the smell inside the Clifton Skyline is as well.

I have aquired both.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Not only is the taste aquired, but the smell inside the Clifton Skyline is as well.

I have aquired both.
    Is that bar still located across the street next to the supermarket? I think it was called the "Firehouse Bar" - it was right there on Ludlow....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Skyline>LaRosa's>Root Canals>Goldstar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Is that bar still located across the street next to the supermarket? I think it was called the "Firehouse Bar" - it was right there on Ludlow....
    Yep - Arlin's is still there. A Cincy fire station sits right next to it.

I've never been there though. So I don't know how good of a place it is.
    Last edited by paintmered; 03-15-2006 at 09:23 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I've have Gold Star a few times recently and even though it's grown on me some more, I still think Skyline is better. I have not had Gold Star at an actual store though, just in the can. Not sure if there is a significant difference or not though.

We went to a game about two weeks ago, and on the way down we stopped at Camp Washington Chilli. It was pretty good, the noodles were overcooked though. Which is a huge pet peeve of mine anytime I get any kind of pasta.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

The school I work at it right across from an Empress Chili. I go there at least once a week now. Much, much better than the big two.

My stomach can't handle Skyline anymore. If I feel like a trek, my favorites are Camp and Price Hill Chili. Pleasant Ridge Chili isn't bad either (although I should throw out the caveat that I typically eat PRC late at night after several adult beverages).
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I was fortunate enough to get a few cans recently in the mail and have enjoyed some skyline in NYC. Had it while watching the Reds game and it was the best!

http://deadspin.com/the-great-americ...-an-1349137024

For the mercifully unacquainted, "Cincinnati chili," the worst regional foodstuff in America or anywhere else, is a horrifying diarrhea sludge (most commonly encountered in the guise of the "Skyline" brand) that Ohioans slop across plain spaghetti noodles and hot dogs as a way to make the rest of us feel grateful that our own ****-eating is (mostly) figurative. The only thing "chili" about it is the shiver that goes down your spine when you watch Ohio sports fans shoveling it into their maws on television and are forced to reckon with the cold reality that, for as desperately as you might cling to faltering notions of community and universality, ultimately your fellow human beings are as foreign and unknowable to you as the surface of Pluto, and you are alone and always have been and will die alone, a world unto yourself unmarked and unmapped and totally, hopelessly isolated.

13. Likes:

BillDoran (10-18-2013),Ravenlord (10-21-2013)

Idk who that man is...but hes dead to me

But then again. He was talking about skyline and not goldstar or camp washington

What he describes, describes all chili. If you don't like Skyline, you don't like chili. But that paragraph was kinda funny.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

16. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (10-17-2013)

I love Burneko's writing, but he and the Deadspin staff repeatedly rip on Cincy chili--this is nothing new...

18. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What he describes, describes all chili. If you don't like Skyline, you don't like chili. But that paragraph was kinda funny.
    I liked this one:

Mmmmmmm, pie. Oh man. Nobody tell any Oregonians how high their state food is ranked, though. They can't fit any more self-congratulation into their busy schedules.

20. Likes:

757690 (10-17-2013),BillDoran (10-18-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?