Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Skyline

72 66.06%
  • Gold Star

24 22.02%
  • Other - (Dixie, Empress, etc.)

6 5.50%
  • None - It's an acquired taste, and I never purchased it.

7 6.42%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Goldstar or Skyline?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Goldstar or Skyline?

Skyline's three ways, Gold Star's coney's.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I love Burneko's writing, but he and the Deadspin staff repeatedly rip on Cincy chili--this is nothing new...
    Yep, I love Deadspin, but you'd think Cincinnati chili was like lutefisk based on the way they talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yep, I love Deadspin, but you'd think Cincinnati chili was like lutefisk based on the way they talk about it.
    All the counter-arguments are spelled out in the comments section:

1)You don't have to get it at a chain. You can make it at home or get it at one of the awesome neighborhood joints. He isn't holding Uno's against Chicago deep dish.

2)Why is the entire state of Ohio represented by a Cincinnati specialty when other states (such as the Philly cheesesteak) had to be more representative of the entire state? There are lots of great candidates for Ohio. Ohio probably has a better ice cream tradition than any other state.

3)Inaccurately characterizing it as chili shouldn't affect your perception of the food itself. Call it whatever you want--it's delicious.
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 10-17-2013 at 05:36 PM.

For anybody else familiar with Michigan's food tradition I also would say the pasty is an awful choice for the state. It is mostly a UP thing. Half the state's population is in Detroit, and 99% are in the southern half of the state. Since it can't be credited for its apple or cherry product, I nominate either the paczki (a traditional Polish dessert with 10,000 calories that is consumed by almost everybody once per year on Fat Tuesday) or the coney dog. The very first coney dog was served in Jackson, MI and you can't take five steps in metro Detroit without running into a coney island restaurant.

Not that any of this matters, this is troll journalism meant as clickbait for their website and to get people up in arms making arguments like I'm doing haha...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 10-17-2013 at 05:28 PM.

I'm happy to see the argument made for Chicago pizza over New York style pizza, but I'll take it one step further and say give me Detroit style pie:

It's a shame most people's first taste of it will be that abomination Little Caesar's is advertising...

I'm happy to see the argument made for Chicago pizza over New York style pizza, but I'll take it one step further and say give me Detroit style pie:

It's a shame most people's first taste of it will be that abomination Little Caesar's is advertising...
    My childhood zaa

My first coney!!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My childhood zaa
    Thick crust, sauce on top, and lots of Parmesan cheese snuck in the gap between the crust and the pan to give it that crispy black exterior!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I love Burneko's writing, but he and the Deadspin staff repeatedly rip on Cincy chili--this is nothing new...
    There were one or two contributors on Deadspin who were just anti-Cincinnati in general -- there were some pieces that went out of their way to call the city racist, homophobic and also threw some insults in about Cincinnati chili as well. It's toned down in the last few years, though.

Also, ripping in Cincinnati Chili isn't exactly a new thing. There are plenty of self-important idiots who get offended that Skyline gets to call itself "Chili" when it isn't loaded with peppers, spices, 5 kinds of beans, and doesn't remove 3 layers of skin from your mouth when you take the first bite.

It's not unlike the snobs who smugly chuckle whenever some plebeian at the bar has the audacity to order a PBR or a light beer.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There were one or two contributors on Deadspin who were just anti-Cincinnati in general -- there were some pieces that went out of their way to call the city racist, homophobic and also threw some insults in about Cincinnati chili as well. It's toned down in the last few years, though.

Also, ripping in Cincinnati Chili isn't exactly a new thing. There are plenty of self-important idiots who get offended that Skyline gets to call itself "Chili" when it isn't loaded with peppers, spices, 5 kinds of beans, and doesn't remove 3 layers of skin from your mouth when you take the first bite.

It's not unlike the snobs who smugly chuckle whenever some plebeian at the bar has the audacity to order a PBR or a light beer.
    Drew Magary always labels Cincinnati as racist, but admits the opinion is entirely based on a summer camp experience he had as a child when all the kids from Cincinnati were super racist.

Doesn't help that the founder, Will Leitch, is a Cardinals fan...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Of course, if you want to add some fire, add some of the Skyline hot sauce. Beans, onions, heat, everything comes separately. And I'd take a Cincinnati-style cheese coney over Detroit-style any day. Real shredded cheese beats mystery cheese sauce forever and always. Never been a fan of cheese sauce. When I went to Philadelphia, I was all fired up about getting a real cheesesteak from one of the original joints. Then I discovered that they prefer to put Cheez Whiz on it and was immediately crestfallen.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What he describes, describes all chili. If you don't like Skyline, you don't like chili. But that paragraph was kinda funny.
    I love chili. i eat it almost weekly. I hate Skyline, Gold Star, Empress, and what ever the terrible place was my former housemates had me eat at on Hopple was called. greek chili is terrible and it's nearly impossible to find any other kind in Cincinnati unless you make it yourself (thus the insane amount of peppers and beans i grow).
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    i LOVE lutefisk and its a large part of the reason my family doesn't want me traveling to Wisconsin or Minnesota.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Of course, if you want to add some fire, add some of the Skyline hot sauce. Beans, onions, heat, everything comes separately. And I'd take a Cincinnati-style cheese coney over Detroit-style any day. Real shredded cheese beats mystery cheese sauce forever and always. Never been a fan of cheese sauce. When I went to Philadelphia, I was all fired up about getting a real cheesesteak from one of the original joints. Then I discovered that they prefer to put Cheez Whiz on it and was immediately crestfallen.
    Traditionally, Detroit coneys do not have cheese (see picture posted previously). The better places have shredded cheese if requested, but it will be 10% the amount on a Cincinnati coney.

I prefer Cincinnati's coney by a slim margin, but you're in heaven either way. It's difficult to deny that the quality of each component of the Detroit coney is superior to its Cincinnati counterpart, I'm just a sucker for the cheese like the rest of you.

I will however say that Detroit chili is much better on French fries. The chili actually adheres to the fries rather than creating a runny, soggy potato mess...

I grew up on both and find the cheese to be annoying and a non essential item

Turn Off Ads?