Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2005 NFL Schedule Released

Re: 2005 NFL Schedule Released

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Is it just me, or have too many of the MNF and Sunday Night games been stinkers in the latter part of the season? Good to see the decision-makers eating crow over their decision to shun the Bengals when they made out their primetime schedules.

It's not just you. But who could have guessed these teams sucked the way they have? I was reading the Sporting News today and the writer was saying he doesn't envy ABC's and ESPN's PR people for having to promote this crap and longed for the Colts and Bengals.

About the only thing you could do is set the schedule, leave the nights open and then select the night games a few weeks in advance. They could have put the San Diego Indy game on Monday night this week about a month ago. But I'm sure the networks will want these teams known in advance to sell advertising.

I'm guessing the Bengals are going to get a lot of love as far as night games go next year. They have a great offense, and a charisma machine in Chad Johnson. You can always have them play the Steelers in prime time and viewers shouldn't be disappointed. I'm guessing they will play the Colts so there's another potential shootout. Possibly the Patriots too.If they play NFC East teams next year there is a Carson-Eli showdown. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the Bengals will be a very attractive team to the networks for at least the next few years.
    Last edited by Chip R; 12-19-2005 at 09:28 PM.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rumor has it that starting either next year or in 07 teams will be limited to 4 prime time showings. Don't know if that's true or not, but it was being talked about on the radio in the last couple weeks.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    It's not just you. But who could have guessed these teams sucked the way they have? I was reading the Sporting News today and the writer was saying he doesn't envy ABC's and ESPN's PR people for having to promote this crap and longed for the Colts and Bengals.

About the only thing you could do is set the schedule, leave the nights open and then select the night games a few weeks in advance. They could have put the San Diego Indy game on Monday night this week about a month ago. But I'm sure the networks will want these teams known in advance to sell advertising.

I'm guessing the Bengals are going to get a lot of love as far as night games go next year. They have a great offense, and a charisma machine in Chad Johnson. You can always have them play the Steelers in prime time and viewers shouldn't be disappointed. I'm guessing they will play the Colts so there's another potential shootout. Possibly the Patriots too.If they play NFC East teams next year there is a Carson-Eli showdown. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the Bengals will be a very attractive team to the networks for at least the next few years.

NFC South and AFC West next year. Indy, KC, Tampa Bay, Denver, NO on the road. Atlanta, Carolina, San Diego, New England and Oakland at home. These opponents coupled with their regular AFC North competition will offer plenty of potential prime time appearances.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    NFC South and AFC West next year. Indy, KC, Tampa Bay, Denver, NO on the road. Atlanta, Carolina, San Diego, New England and Oakland at home. These opponents coupled with their regular AFC North competition will offer plenty of potential prime time appearances.
    Yep, and plenty of potential opportunities for next year's record to not be a s good as this year's will be, unfortunately. You never know, though. EVERY year there are many surprise teams in the NFL, and what looked to be tough games at the start of the season turn out easy, and vice versa.

Who would've thought the Bengals would have such an easy time with Baltimore this year? And I think most assumed that Green Bay would be tough, as usual, and I personally feared the game at Detroit when the schedule first came out.

The Bengals will just have to figure out a way to win those games, as the top franchises always seem to find a way to do. Thurman, Pollock, and other young guys on the defense will have a year behind them, and I think it's scary how good these two can be. And with the offense in good shape, Marvin can focus on the defense in the draft.

All that being said, I still fear that it's possible that the Bengals may be a better team next year yet not have as good a record as this year.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

All that being said, I still fear that it's possible that the Bengals may be a better team next year yet not have as good a record as this year.
    But if they still make the playoffs, playing tougher teams all year long could prepare them well for the post season.

The Bengals will just have to figure out a way to win those games, as the top franchises always seem to find a way to do. Thurman, Pollock, and other young guys on the defense will have a year behind them, and I think it's scary how good these two can be. And with the offense in good shape, Marvin can focus on the defense in the draft.
    Plus Madieu Williams and Kim Herring return next year which should be a big help on D. I am optimistic about next years D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue
    Plus Madieu Williams and Kim Herring return next year which should be a big help on D. I am optimistic about next years D.
    I'm not so sure Herring will be back, and even if he is, you can't count on him to be healthy, given his injury problems the past two years. Even when healthy, I don't think he's much of a difference maker at his age. Madieu, on the other hand, is a completely different story. We sorely miss him...

Atlanta gets the Monday nights spots because of one player: Mike Vick. He's a player people will sit down to watch.
    Yeah that has worked out well for the network. Am I the only one who thinks Michael Vick is the most overrated, one dimensional athlete going today?

His numbers are absolutely horrid, he's not a good QB. Not this year at least. And thank God I was already in a seated position when I found out he was going to the Pro Bowl.

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Yeah that has worked out well for the network. Am I the only one who thinks Michael Vick is the most overrated, one dimensional athlete going today?

His numbers are absolutely horrid, he's not a good QB. Not this year at least. And thank God I was already in a seated position when I found out he was going to the Pro Bowl.
    No, you aren't the only one. I think that has become painfully evident as we watch Michael Vick aka Ron Mexico this year - unless you're a Fal-cant's fan.

Anyone could see Cincy was coming on strong from last year....Yet they could have gone 10-6...made the playoffs.....and still would have not had a MNF game (SEE 1987....went 10-6 year before, no playoffs bec. of tough year in the conference, yet no MNF game) ....BUT you have DALL go 1-15 and i bet you they would still get a MNF game.

Turn Off Ads?