Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    He's already been called out because of it. There's no need for you to go back and bring it back up.
    Because he's obviously not getting the point.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    I brought in Bush's history in a management capacity. How can you say whether he would be fit for another similar job without examining that history?

And both sides have faxed in talking points, bub.
    Point mine out "bub" and ill give you a cookie.

Smith, check your PMs.

johngalt, either bring your comments back on topic, or you are gone for a day.

No more bickering out of either of you.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Point mine out "bub" and ill give you a cookie.
    Saying what a great leader he's been for this country and how he stands for the "right morals" and the good of the United States.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    Saying what a great leader he's been for this country and how he stands for the "right morals" and the good of the United States.
    Never mentioned that in this thread... in any event, in the spirit of positive influence that a member such as myself should always display, I will refrain from further interacting on this, once-interesting topic.

Second. Worst. Thread. Ever.

Can we please lock this?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Good luck, Fay was ousted for exactly that reason, the rules were then changed shifting the power back to the owners.
    Yep, I just wish that wasn't the way things were.

Don't know if anyone remembers, but way back before the 2000 election ESPN.com did a story that talked about both W's and Gore's involvement in sports. It focused on Bush more because of his involvement with the Rangers, and mentioned that at one point he was approached by a small group of owners (think that's right, but not 100%) about possibly becoming a candidate for the commissioners job. In the end he told them no, though I can't remember if it was because he wanted to go into politics or if he just didn't want the job. I think I saved the article somewhere so I'll see if I can dig it up.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Bob Costas should be the next baseball commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by M2

Bush loves sport, there's no doubting that.

So do I.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    So do I.
    Okay, it looks like you destroyed that argument.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I predict that the legal landscape of baseball is going to become a lot more complex. The antitrust exemption will probably get another challenge in my lifetime. That will lead to a doubling, tripling or more of minor league salaries, and countless other unintended consequences.

Let's assume for a second that George Bush had some good business acumen, since I know it's a debated point. He's not an attorney. Even Bowie Kuhn, who was an attorney, wasn't sharp enough to understand what was going on around him.

Sandy Alderson is my pick.
    Stick to your guns.

I'll take Bill Murray or Tom Hanks.

I very much doubt the owners will ever select a former President, Democrat or Republican, as Commissioner. The last thing I suspect owners want is a Commissioner with an independent power base.
    The owners already are assured that Bud Selig will support their agenda, but if he doesn't, Bud has no power base apart from ownership. If the owners decide that they want to imitate the labor negotiations of the NHL, it is unlikely Bud would stand in their way, nor would there be that much of a public outcry if Selig was removed.
    However, if a Commssioner George W. Bush, or a Commissioner Bill Clinton or Commissioner Jimmy Carter for that matter, decided not to follow the owners' party line, he would have enormous public relations power to force his terms upon ownership, and firing a former President as Commissioner would be a PR nightmare for the owners. Appoint a former President as Commissioner and owners could find themselves with the second coming of Kennesaw Mountain Landis if the President then chose to follow his own course. I just can't see the owners taking that chance.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    George could search for WMDs in ballparks all across the country.
    Starting with the "other" George's backyard?
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?