Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61

Thread: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

  1. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    985

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    He's already been called out because of it. There's no need for you to go back and bring it back up.
    Because he's obviously not getting the point.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    I brought in Bush's history in a management capacity. How can you say whether he would be fit for another similar job without examining that history?

    And both sides have faxed in talking points, bub.
    Point mine out "bub" and ill give you a cookie.

  4. #48
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,049

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Smith, check your PMs.

    johngalt, either bring your comments back on topic, or you are gone for a day.

    No more bickering out of either of you.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  5. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    985

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Point mine out "bub" and ill give you a cookie.
    Saying what a great leader he's been for this country and how he stands for the "right morals" and the good of the United States.

  6. #50
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    Saying what a great leader he's been for this country and how he stands for the "right morals" and the good of the United States.
    Never mentioned that in this thread... in any event, in the spirit of positive influence that a member such as myself should always display, I will refrain from further interacting on this, once-interesting topic.

  7. #51
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Second. Worst. Thread. Ever.

    Can we please lock this?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  8. #52
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,129

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Good luck, Fay was ousted for exactly that reason, the rules were then changed shifting the power back to the owners.
    Yep, I just wish that wasn't the way things were.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

  9. #53
    Member Sabo Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    848

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Don't know if anyone remembers, but way back before the 2000 election ESPN.com did a story that talked about both W's and Gore's involvement in sports. It focused on Bush more because of his involvement with the Rangers, and mentioned that at one point he was approached by a small group of owners (think that's right, but not 100%) about possibly becoming a candidate for the commissioners job. In the end he told them no, though I can't remember if it was because he wanted to go into politics or if he just didn't want the job. I think I saved the article somewhere so I'll see if I can dig it up.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

  10. #54
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Bob Costas should be the next baseball commissioner.

  11. #55
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,045

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Quote Originally Posted by M2

    Bush loves sport, there's no doubting that.

    So do I.

  12. #56
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,987

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    So do I.
    Okay, it looks like you destroyed that argument.

  13. #57
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,852

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    I predict that the legal landscape of baseball is going to become a lot more complex. The antitrust exemption will probably get another challenge in my lifetime. That will lead to a doubling, tripling or more of minor league salaries, and countless other unintended consequences.

    Let's assume for a second that George Bush had some good business acumen, since I know it's a debated point. He's not an attorney. Even Bowie Kuhn, who was an attorney, wasn't sharp enough to understand what was going on around him.

    Sandy Alderson is my pick.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  14. #58
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,987

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    I'll take Bill Murray or Tom Hanks.

  15. #59
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,888

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    I very much doubt the owners will ever select a former President, Democrat or Republican, as Commissioner. The last thing I suspect owners want is a Commissioner with an independent power base.
    The owners already are assured that Bud Selig will support their agenda, but if he doesn't, Bud has no power base apart from ownership. If the owners decide that they want to imitate the labor negotiations of the NHL, it is unlikely Bud would stand in their way, nor would there be that much of a public outcry if Selig was removed.
    However, if a Commssioner George W. Bush, or a Commissioner Bill Clinton or Commissioner Jimmy Carter for that matter, decided not to follow the owners' party line, he would have enormous public relations power to force his terms upon ownership, and firing a former President as Commissioner would be a PR nightmare for the owners. Appoint a former President as Commissioner and owners could find themselves with the second coming of Kennesaw Mountain Landis if the President then chose to follow his own course. I just can't see the owners taking that chance.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  16. #60
    All dyslexics must untie!
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    SW Portland, OR
    Posts
    8,604

    Re: President Bush may make pitch for commish job

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    George could search for WMDs in ballparks all across the country.
    Starting with the "other" George's backyard?
    Never overlook the obvious


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25