Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30 black teens attack 4 white girls in "non-bias" attack

30 black teens attack 4 white girls in "non-bias" attack

http://www.brooklynskyline.com/news_...p?c=ne&na=1486

By Marianna Hernandez

Invoking the name “Martin Luther King” and screaming “Black Power!” a gang of up to 30 black teens attacked four white girls in Marine Park in what police are saying is not a bias crime.

The March 30 attack was a hot topic at state Senator Marty Golden’s recent public safety forum.

According to witnesses and parents of the victims, four young girls from St. Edmund’s had the day off from school due to Easter recess. They were playing basketball during dismissal from nearby Marine Park Junior High School, when several Marine Park students demanded to use the court.

After adults intervened and asked them to wait their turn, the teens left - but returned in a pack of up to 30, both boys and girls, and stormed into the park.

Witnesses say the attackers were all black and called their victims “white crackers” during the bloody melee, which raged for almost 20 minutes.

“This is not being looked at as a bias crime,” NYPD Deputy Inspector Kevin McGinn said at the meeting.

“When I pulled my car up to the park, I witnessed a pandemonium I’ve never seen in my life,” said Debbie, a mother of one victim who asked to remain anonymous for safety reasons.

Her daughter ran to the car, screaming, “They’re going to kill us,” Debbie recalled. My daughter was so scared and kids were running around like crazy.

Pursued by dozens of teens, some of the girls were “literally running into traffic to save their lives,” she said.

One girl made it as far as a nearby house, but was dragged by her hair back into the playground by a “wolf pack of children,” Debbie said.

The St. Edmund girls were bleeding and beaten to the point where they had cuts, scrapes, footprints and dirt all over them - and the attackers surrounded her car and started pounding on the windows as Debbie tried to herd the terrified children into her vehicle.

Two girls were hospitalized - one with a broken nose and one with a head injury, according to Edith, the mother of another girl.

According to Lt. Mark Molinari, from the 63rd Precinct, five of the assailants, who attend Marine Park Junior High School, were arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault. But since the attackers are all under the age of 16, they are facing charges in Family Court, and were arraigned last Friday.

“I always felt safe in the area and after hearing about such an incident, you start thinking what else could happen. These situations should not be happening, not in Marine Park, or anywhere else, and the safety of our kids should be of most importance,” said Denise Williams, a parent from Gerritsen Beach.

“It’s getting progressively worse in the community - these types of gangs are not only taking away our parks, they‚re ruining our neighborhoods,” said parent Cathy Miller.

“Nobody expects their child to go to a park and get beaten, with footprints on her head and arm, everyone just wants their child to be safe,” said Edith. “Everyone should have the right to be safe from teens, to small kids, to seniors, to mothers with strollers, no one should fear of being beaten while enjoying a day in the park.”
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: 30 black teens attack 4 white girls in "non-bias" attack

They need to arrest each one of those kids parents. The parents as well as the children should be punished.

That's sounds like a hate crime to me

Just sad this crap goes on
    Go Gators!

I agree. How is this not a hate crime?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Martin Luther King Jr would be so proud his name was invoked for such "justice" about a basketball court.

For some odd reason, I dont think this is what MLK had in mind... A shame too, because I agree with his dream.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    I agree. How is this not a hate crime?
    A very good point. It leads me to ask (to all, not just RBA)...

If it is possible to track (I am sure it is), I wonder how many "hate crimes" have been persued in the United States? How many "hate crimes" that were prosecuted have had a defendant who was from a minority race in this great country... and the victim was caucasian? Has it ever happened? If it has, have any minorities ever been convicted of "hate crimes" in this country?

Is there an age factor for "hate crimes"? Could the younger ages be reason for it to not be considered a "hate crime"?

In my book... all crimes that involve violence against another human are considered hate crimes. To inflict bodily harm on another must involve some sort of hatred towards that person (for whatever reason). Even domestic violence. A crime is a crime. I see no reason to say one sort of violence against a human is any different than another sort of violence. Violence and assault are the same. They should all be punished the same. And let the punishment be severe for all violence.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 04-18-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

In my book... all crimes that involve violence against another human are considered hate crimes. To inflict bodily harm on another must involve some sort of hatred towards that person
    DING DING DING.... We have a winner.

It's not hate crime because of reverse racism.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

If the police said that 30 black kids attacked the 4 white girls because they are white or said that the fight had to do with racism, some of the families who had a kid involved in the fight would try to twist the police's words to make them seem racist and try to file a lawsuit. It happens in everything else, why not this? The police were trying to avoid this by calling it a non-bias attack.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy
    If the police said that 30 black kids attacked the 4 white girls because they are white or said that the fight had to do with racism, some of the families who had a kid involved in the fight would try to twist the police's words to make them seem racist and try to file a lawsuit. It happens in everything else, why not this? The police were trying to avoid this by calling it a non-bias attack.

And the parents are stupid enough to believe they mean it. :ughmamoru

This type of stuff is ridiculous. Imagine if it had been reversed and 30 white kids attacked 4 black kids and beat them to a bloody pulp all the while calling them racially derogatory names. It would lead the 6 o'clock news on all three network stations and Foxnews would have a reporter live on the scene. It's funny how what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander in situations like this.

The majority hegemony can't be victims of hate crime. It's not possible by definition.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    This type of stuff is ridiculous. Imagine if it had been reversed and 30 white kids attacked 4 black kids and beat them to a bloody pulp all the while calling them racially derogatory names. It would lead the 6 o'clock news on all three network stations and Foxnews would have a reporter live on the scene. It's funny how what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander in situations like this.

Had that happened it would have been a MAJOR story. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would have field days. And it would all be W's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    Had that happened it would have been a MAJOR story. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would have field days. And it would all be W's fault.
    My feelings exactly...

Then of course there's the other side of the coin. We had a little incident in my town a few years ago we called the "Central Park jogger case" . Supposedly a large group of blacks attacked and almost killed one white girl. They were tried and convicted and sent to jail. Well then it turned out that the prosecuter's were "overzelous", the confessions were coerced , and these guys were innocent. Now us taxpayers are on the hook for paying off millions in damages-- My point: Lets not jump to conclusiions , particularly in the black-white area, before all of the facts are in. And can we discuss race without bring up Al Sharpton? He really not very important.

Turn Off Ads?