Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: "Last post" threads to be closed

Re: "Last post" threads to be closed

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    If that happens, then the baseball side will look like the MLB.com/Reds site. Three non-baseball threads for every one baseball thread.
    Difference is, we would have mods to enforce it. MLB.com doesnt.

Im not saying we should do away with political threads to an entirety, but if a say 9/11 happened again, I would want a thread to discuss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Rosie, I want to say that your voice is one of the ones I truly respect on this board. Even if I don't agree with you, I almost always understand why you feel like you do. However, on this one, I have to back what rem says. If the combination of allowing guest (non-registered member) access AND/OR the huge, huge threads in the non-baseball forum are contributing to the bandwidth problems we're clearly having, eliminating them is the easiest thing to do that is consistent with the site's mission statement, and would theoretically remove the need for a dedicated server. I am far from positive that taking these two measures will appreciably decrease the bandwidth but I do think it's worth a trial period. If it doesn't help matters, that completely confirms that we need to move to a dedicated server and those threads (and guest access) could presumably stay. I realize that friendships have been formed from this board and that makes me very happy to know. However, as rem said, this site is primary a baseball site and that will always remain the core of what we're about. If a good deal of visitors are only coming here to participate in the non-baseball forum threads, that lets me know that we're doing an even worse job with the baseball forum than I imagined.

Boss
    I appreciate the sentiments Boss, that's very nice of you to say.

And I do understand what you are saying. Really, I do. I get it. I know it's a baseball forum, I know that's the purpose, etc. If you need to make changes, make changes -- it's your site, and I'll live with whatever you and GIK decide.

I was just trying to explain how I felt about this lastest decision, and how the decision could be interpreted.

In the Last Person thread, GIK asked if we really value that thread more than the baseball forum. Maybe you should check out the responses; they're all within the last couple pages.

Retired

I understand both sides of the argument, but personally I’d axe the “Last Person” threads. I don’t see them contributing much to the content of this board, and frankly it looks like they are being used for nothing more than to pad post counts.

At this point tough decisions have to be made, and Redszone doesn’t have resources to be wasting.

If the combination of allowing guest (non-registered member) access AND/OR the huge, huge threads in the non-baseball forum are contributing to the bandwidth problems we're clearly having, eliminating them is the easiest thing to do that is consistent with the site's mission statement, and would theoretically remove the need for a dedicated server. I am far from positive that taking these two measures will appreciably decrease the bandwidth but I do think it's worth a trial period. If it doesn't help matters, that completely confirms that we need to move to a dedicated server and those threads (and guest access) could presumably stay. I realize that friendships have been formed from this board and that makes me very happy to know. However, as rem said, this site is primary a baseball site and that will always remain the core of what we're about. If a good deal of visitors are only coming here to participate in the non-baseball forum threads, that lets me know that we're doing an even worse job with the baseball forum than I imagined.

Boss

Boss,
    I have great respect for you. You do an incredible job staying on top of all of the issues concerning this board, and I am forever grateful to you for that.

Having said that, many of us "subscribers" have told you point blank in one thread or another that we don't visit the bb side very much anymore and mainly come here for the "last person" thread, where we feel that sense of "community" that used to exist on the entire board. That "community" doesn't exist on the entire board anymore, the site has gotten too big for that to exist, which is why many of us fled from the bb side . So where do those of us go who don't wish to deal with that stuff? Can't talk baseball in the HOF forum... Now we might not be able to discuss things in the "last person" thread. The answer, there isn't one. We need to figure out how we can make this place feel more like a community now, even though the site is much, much larger in terms of members. There shouldn't be "non subscribers vs subscribers", "people who post in the last person thread vs people who don't," " people who were here when the board originated vs those who joined later". All of that stuff groups people into seperate categories and allows for the "we want this, but don't want those guys to have that" crap we're hearing today. We need to find out how to group everyone into "reds fans" again. If that means making this board a pay-only site, fine. But it should mean that everyone that logs into redszone should be able to go where ever they want on the board and feel comfortable discussing whatever they want. Until we can do that, this board is going to have mucho problems that we've only begun to realize.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Boss,
    I have great respect for you. You do an incredible job staying on top of all of the issues concerning this board, and I am forever grateful to you for that.

Having said that, many of us "subscribers" have told you point blank in one thread or another that we don't visit the bb side very much anymore and mainly come here for the "last person" thread, where we feel that sense of "community" that used to exist on the entire board. That "community" doesn't exist on the entire board anymore, the site has gotten too big for that to exist, which is why many of us fled from the bb side . So where do those of us go who don't wish to deal with that stuff? Can't talk baseball in the HOF forum... Now we might not be able to discuss things in the "last person" thread. The answer, there isn't one. We need to figure out how we can make this place feel more like a community now, even though the site is much, much larger in terms of members. There shouldn't be "non subscribers vs subscribers", "people who post in the last person thread vs people who don't," " people who were here when the board originated vs those who joined later". All of that stuff groups people into seperate categories and allows for the "we want this, but don't want those guys to have that" crap we're hearing today. We need to find out how to group everyone into "reds fans" again. If that means making this board a pay-only site, fine. But it should mean that everyone that logs into redszone should be able to go where ever they want on the board and feel comfortable discussing whatever they want. Until we can do that, this board is going to have mucho problems that we've only begun to realize.
    Point taken and I agree with a lot of what you've said. That's the task GIK and I are faced with, in a nutshell, outside of the server-related issues. Thanks for your kind words...I respect your opinion, as I do nearly everyone's on here.

Rosie, I want to say that your voice is one of the ones I truly respect on this board. Even if I don't agree with you, I almost always understand why you feel like you do. However, on this one, I have to back what rem says. If the combination of allowing guest (non-registered member) access AND/OR the huge, huge threads in the non-baseball forum are contributing to the bandwidth problems we're clearly having, eliminating them is the easiest thing to do that is consistent with the site's mission statement, and would theoretically remove the need for a dedicated server. I am far from positive that taking these two measures will appreciably decrease the bandwidth but I do think it's worth a trial period. If it doesn't help matters, that completely confirms that we need to move to a dedicated server and those threads (and guest access) could presumably stay. I realize that friendships have been formed from this board and that makes me very happy to know. However, as rem said, this site is primary a baseball site and that will always remain the core of what we're about. If a good deal of visitors are only coming here to participate in the non-baseball forum threads, that lets me know that we're doing an even worse job with the baseball forum than I imagined.

Boss
    Boss:

You and GIK do a tremendous job here and you have much more patience than I have. I guess that's why you are in charge. The tremendous influx of folks visiting and posting here makes it an almost unmanagable situation and I know something has to be done. I understand.

My only comment is that the baseball side of the forum has deteriorated due to the large influx of new "members." That's OK because public forums tend to go that way, especially if they're popular. I come here first for Reds news mainly because it's the most reliable place to find Reds news. I can always get a viewpoint that I cannot find on ESPN or any of the other numerous "name" sites. Lately, with the recent events in my life (my business partner of 20 years in a coma with terminal cancer and one of my businesses failing due to the poor economy and my obligations at my main job due to the sickness mentioned earlier), I don't get here often. But, when I have I've been shocked.

Tonight, I opened up the game thread at about 11:30 (when I got home from work--it's been like that for months), and I didn't recognize any of the names. There was no Creek, no RFS62, no Stormy. No one I knew and the conversation was pretty bad. I've been in a bad mood (as you can imagine) for some time and I posted a simple question or two a couple of days ago. I receive some of the snottiest and short replies from people who were "members" and I'd never seen before. I accepted that my absence was probably the reason and I moved on. But, I see it day after day.

The "Last Thread" thread was probably silly and not important, but I enjoyed reading what was going on in folks' lives, but it's not a necessity--more an enjoyable convenience. There was a friendly thread with folks who liked each other (most of the time) with no finger pointing or crassness, The exact opposite of what the baseball board has become.

So, what am I trying to say? I guess if this thing is to survive, and it must, we have to take a long, hard look at subscribers and their worth over the non-subscribers. Not that we close the board to them, but we make the rules to fit the subscribers. If it means a dedicated server, I don't think you'll have any problem raising the money. If your main intent is to have an open forum regardless of the problems it causes, then continue as it is. And hope when Griffey is traded the thing doesn't crash :-).

I don't choose to call those who do not subscribe "freeloaders," because they are not. I'm glad I have until October or whatever before I re-up agains because money is tight right now, but please try hard to limit postings for non-subscribers or something before the subs are hit hard.

I'm not a good example of a businessman, but I value my clients and their feelings far and above my non-clients. Think about that and do what you've always done--make the right decision. Thanks for reading this far too long post (see, I ate up some bandwith and didn't even know it).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I think until some of you are on their end of things (in their shoes)..... trying to troubleshoot/find a resolution to the problems we have been experiencing with bandwidth (a server/software perspective), then you should be ashamed of your conduct. I'm personally embarassed by what I am reading.

Does anyone understand English at all? They are working diligently to try and solve this bandwidth problem, and a few other issues (bots, etc), and keep Redszone's viability functioning during this new baseball season. It's not something that is simply "1-2-3, A-B-C" and it's fixed.

The main purpose/intent of this site is BASEBALL!

Cut these guys some slack you software experts, unless you think you can step up to the plate, solve these issues, and do better? Quit throwing stones at the very guys who are just as perplexed, and expending alot of their free time trying to resolve this. And if they have possibly made a couple mistakes over the last week in trying to do what is best for the site as a whole....again, cut them some slack. They also are human.

If it came down to a choice, temporarily, until they can either fix these problems or find a dedicated host/server, then I'd gladly make the non-baseball side the "sacrificial lamb" over being able to read/post the really important struff on the baseball side.

If I had to make a choice temporarily over "Be The Last Person To Post" thread and talking baseball, I think I know where my vote would be cast.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-20-2005 at 09:06 AM.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=33657&page=1

I think you'll find that people are trying to help.

I rarely post, but I am reading this thread and I find it really hard to believe people are saying the things they are saying. The guys who run this board are really doing the best they can to run a top-notch baseball forum and not lose their shirts in the process. I subscribe (and will re-up next month) because I enjoy the baseball dialogue. I see the last-post threads and the like, and don't get it, but to each his own. From what I gather, they are temporarily closing these threads to see if they can solve the band-width problem. Deal with it. If I was them, I would not put up with the crap they do. From the looks of things, I would not be surprised to see this whole site implode soon. That would be a damn shame.

Turn Off Ads?