Re: "Last post" threads to be closed

I turned mine off yesterday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Krono's avatar (with his post count) alone is probably 1/4 of our bandwidth

content > graphics.

C'mon now, eliminating the beauty of Alexis Bledel will only do harm.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Mine is gone now too.

I miss that guy, whatever he was.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    content > graphics.

Yep Content rules, BTW I never attach my photos and host them at my own site, though it was implied over the weekend that folks like me clutter the site up with graphics.

I'm not sure how much of an effect avatars have on bandwidth. Good idea, though. Let me discuss that option with Boss.

How about this:

I leave up the "last post" threads, we move to a dedicated server and if subscriptions/donations/etc keep us afloat, fine, everyone is happy - and if they don't and we run short, the site is frozen or some other alternative actions are taken at that time.

I'm open here. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    C'mon now, eliminating the beauty of Alexis Bledel will only do harm.

That reminds me, only 2 hours and 42 minutes until Gilmore Girls comes on.

So, if the Last Post thread goes, can the Game Threads be far behind?

Time for some banner ads, imo.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    I'm not sure how much of an effect avatars have on bandwidth. Good idea, though. Let me discuss that option with Boss.

How about this:

I leave up the "last post" threads, we move to a dedicated server and if subscriptions/donations/etc keep us afloat, fine, everyone is happy - and if they don't and we run short, the site is frozen or some other alternative actions are taken at that time.

I'm open here. Thoughts?

Then I'd say it's time for a bake sale!
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

When have Boss or I ever made decisions to maliciously hurt our members? We do this for fun, not for any sort of gain. We have always tried to listen to everyone. I have always welcomed contributions and expression on the site, welcomed emails and even have had a member or two call me on my cell phone.

Remember, I'm just another guy sitting behind a keyboard. I make mistakes too, but I've never tried to hurt anyone on here. This isn't a business, but don't you think that'd be a pretty bad way to run one?
    In no way do I think you are making decisions to maliciously hurt your members.

That doesn't mean that the by-product of your decisions won't hurt some members.

Again, this is just my opinion. I am only one of many members here. I am fully aware that you don't have to cater to what I want, and I fully understand no one is making me be here.

How about this:

I'm open here. Thoughts?
    I think it's reasonable to run tests for a week at a time to see what effect it has. If it does have a big effect then that's something that we'll all have to deal with.

But I think you also have to consider the post limit for non subscribers too. You guys caved too soon on that and let a bunch of whiners run rougshod over you. Now we'll never know if that would have had a positive effect on bandwith. (though I'm not convinced it would have)

Run tests in one week periods. One test at a time.
    Last edited by pedro; 04-18-2005 at 02:27 PM.

How about this:

I'm open here. Thoughts?
    I am just a big advocate of establishing a solid methodology in regards to testing these types of situations. You have to establish a firm baseline to mesure from, i.e. avg daily bandwidth used since opening day. Make a change (I would recommend eliminating guest access). Monitor the avg. daily bandwidth used over a couple of days. Compare it to the baseline and decide it the change made enough/any impact. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    That reminds me, only 2 hours and 42 minutes until Gilmore Girls comes on.

So, if the Last Post thread goes, can the Game Threads be far behind?

Time for some banner ads, imo.
    :dancingco You're my new favorite poster.

BTW, new episodes back tomorrow! :dancingco
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I am just a big advocate of establishing a solid methodology in regards to testing these types of situations. You have to establish a firm baseline to mesure from, i.e. avg daily bandwidth used since opening day. Make a change (I would recommend eliminating guest access). Monitor the avg. daily bandwidth used over a couple of days. Compare it to the baseline and decide it the change made enough/any impact. Repeat.
    word.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Then I'd say it's time for a bake sale!

I offered that opinion the other day, AND a car wash.

If you can't make money with cookies and Creek and TC in swimsuits soaping up cars then you can't make money.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?