Time is the Revelator.

Re: "Last post" threads to be closed

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    I'm open here. Thoughts?
    Well, did you goto that link I posted?

2. Turn Off Ads?

GIK -

I know your open to ideas and doing what you feel is right, and I once again appreciate you are listening to us here - and i just wanna add one thing, all the posters who frequent the last post thread are the same people who offered to throw in an extra $20 beyond the subscription in the sticky thread on the baseball page.

I'll help however I can, but if you take the last person thread away from us (which it looks like your not doing now) alot of us will have a lot less reason to help, simply because we won't be around as much.

I hope that all makes sense, I kinda rambled.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

OK, this is what we will do.

I am going to close Guest access to the site shortly and see if that helps us with the bots, etc, that troll the site.

I will leave up the "last post" threads.

I am also going to ask for more feedback in the HoF forum and I hope everyone participates who can.

Thanks,
    GIK

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    word.
    I agree. We will try restricting Guest access first and observe its impact without any other factor playing a role.

My 2 Cents

Your best recourse it choose a plan and keep to it.

Moving cost escalation should be the 2nd choice after streamlining the content delivery. Once that is done you'll be able to factor in future growth or a leveling out to a plateu that will make solictation easier.

I'd close down parts of the site one by one to see what parts are the drag. Including PM boxes and the such. First thing I'd is shut down the Picture Forum, then HOF, then the non baseball piece by piece.

Choose a day/week that you are going to have last post forum shut down... post it in that thread and then make a sticky. That way anyone who does chat there can move the chat to the backup EZ Board for the duration.

But go slow about it to make sure you guys don't have to pay mor ethan youor the users can keep up with.

BTW if you are that low on usage for the month I'd figure out what should go pretty quick.

We can eliminate the "new rules" threads like this. They seem to use a lot of bandwidth.

I am going to close Guest access to the site shortly and see if that helps us with the bots, etc, that troll the site.

I am also going to ask for more feedback in the HoF forum and I hope everyone participates who can.

Thanks,
    GIK

GIK, I think BOTS might really be an issue. I know that sometimes I come here in the middle of the night when almost no one is logged in, and the site is still very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Krono's avatar (with his post count) alone is probably 1/4 of our bandwidth
    I know you think that's funny..but it's not
    Go Gators!

Thanks,
    GIK
    Thank you for reconsidering.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I am just a big advocate of establishing a solid methodology in regards to testing these types of situations. You have to establish a firm baseline to mesure from, i.e. avg daily bandwidth used since opening day. Make a change (I would recommend eliminating guest access). Monitor the avg. daily bandwidth used over a couple of days. Compare it to the baseline and decide it the change made enough/any impact. Repeat.
    I'd recommend this approach as well. Be sure of what changes have effected what results.

And if it does turn out that the last poster threads are consuming an inordinate amount of resources, then so be it.

But a decision affecting the posters of these threads does hit home at a percentage of you core members of this site and so anything done in this area should be well-reasoned.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

How about closing the Hall of Fame forum. The fantasy one two. The fantasy one can be part of the non-bb chatter, and the hall of fame can just go (I don't think many really use it anyhow).
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Make sure people are clear if you go about WOY's and Roy's testing route. Just let them know you're testing different areas.

I can't endure anymore of the drama of the past few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    How about closing the Hall of Fame forum. The fantasy one two. The fantasy one can be part of the non-bb chatter, and the hall of fame can just go (I don't think many really use it anyhow).
    I agree. The HOF forum could be a great thing if it was redone and used properly. As it is now, its pretty awful. Now that fantasy leagues are underway, there's not too much demand for the fantasy forum. Those threads about fantasy could be put in non-bb easily.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I don't think they really get much trafiic.

It's the traffic within a forum, not the existance of a forum that causes bandwidth drain. Although I think the pictures forum should go, b/c hosted images suck resources.

Trouble with that is, those forums are nearly always dead..the HOF forum only picks up when bad stuff happens.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?