Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Musical Runs

Man Pills

Re: Great Musical Runs

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I had to endure both Saxon AND Krokus as duel opening acts for Cheaptrick one night (circa 1983?)
    Were you "screamin' in the night" or "fightin for your life" or both?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    lGuided by Voices as a worst live band? Are you out of your mind?
    Vague post construction on my part. GBV, Summer, Brown and SoM belong on great runs list.
    Last edited by M2; 04-19-2005 at 04:33 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    GBV 1992-1996 Everything before Tobin Sprout left, and Bob went all egomaniac and fired the rest of the band.
    I like the egomaniac stuff too. Good songs spew from Bob's head.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the band that was--without a doubt--the greatest rock band ever assembled:

The (Bloody) Who

In a little over four years, they knocked out not one--but two--lengthy rock operas, a kick ass live album and oh, by the way, a decent little studio effort for good measure:

Tommy (1969)
    Live at Leeds (1970)
    Who's Next (1971)
    Quadrophenia (1973)
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the band that was--without a doubt--the greatest rock band ever assembled:

The (Bloody) Who

In a little over four years, they knocked out not one--but two--lengthy rock operas, a kick ass live album and oh, by the way, a decent little studio effort for good measure:

Tommy (1969)
    Live at Leeds (1970)
    Who's Next (1971)
    Quadrophenia (1973)
    Go ahead and add The Who Sell Out to that list. Twice if you have to. That album RULES.

Were you "screamin' in the night" or "fightin for your life" or both?
    Actually, it was more like the girl that I took to the show was madly in love with Robin Zander from Cheaptrick. I was just trying to take one for the team... :dancingco
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

The Stooges 1969-1972

The Stooges
    Fun House
    Raw Power

The Velvet Underground 1967-1970

The Velvet Underground and Nico
    White Light/White Heat
    The Velvet Underground
    Loaded

The MC5 1969-1972

Kick out The Jams
    Back in the USA
    High Times

Captain Beefheart 1967-1972
    Dropout Boogie
    Safe as Milk
    Strictly Personal
    Trout Mask
    Lick My Decals Off, Baby
    Clear Spot
    The Spotlight Kid

I dunno, call me silly for still playing those stupid vinyl records, but I've gotten a kick out of these for a long time. In my mind nothing beats slumping down in my record room for a few hours on a tuesday afternoon spinning them and drinking beer.

No one's ever accused me of being some kinda sophisticate anyway.

I just heard Raw Power for the first time last week. You're right- it might be a great album. Wish I would have heard it a long time ago.

My pick:

Bob Dylan 1962
    The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan 1963
    The Times They Are A Changing 1964
    Another Side of Bob Dylan 1964
    Bringing It All Back Home 1965
    Highway 61 Revisited 1965
    Blonde on Blonde 1966
    John Wesley Harding 1967
    Nashville Skyline 1969

Go ahead and add The Who Sell Out to that list. Twice if you have to. That album RULES.
    "What's For Tea, Daughter?"

A magnificent achievement and it sounds better today than it did when it came out.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    "What's For Tea, Daughter?"

A magnificent achievement and it sounds better today than it did when it came out.
    "Dah-leeng, I said 'what's for tea?'"

"Dah-leeng, I said 'what's for tea?'"

"Heinz Baked beans. More Music, More Music, More Music, More Music.

And then into the sublime Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands. Lets face it, the Briitsh Invasion was the most significant cultural event of the 20th century. Hell, nobody's even mentioned the Stones yet.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I like the egomaniac stuff too. Good songs spew from Bob's head.
    Go out and get Cobra Verde's "Easy Listening" record, or anything by Death of Samantha (John Petkovic's first band), then tell me who wrote those guitar parts.

You won't be disappointed, trust me.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Hell, nobody's even mentioned the Stones yet.
    first post. but hell yeah.

"Heinz Baked beans. More Music, More Music, More Music, More Music.

And then into the sublime Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands. Lets face it, the Briitsh Invasion was the most significant cultural event of the 20th century. Hell, nobody's even mentioned the Stones yet.
    I'll mention them...Posers, the whole lot of them.

Lets face it, the Briitsh Invasion was the most significant cultural event of the 20th century. Hell, nobody's even mentioned the Stones yet.
    I understand how you might think that, and I,m as big a Stones fan as any....

But let's not pretend they invented Rock n' Roll. The Brits just made it more palatable to the largely racist American populace at that time.

If you wanna say that the melding of Blues,and Country in a very raw and primal way, with dirty drum beats and hip gyrations and naughty lyrics (rock n roll) was the most significant cultural event of the twentieth century, I'd agree with you.

But those mop tops from Liverpool didn't invent the dang thing.

The term Rock n' Roll used to be a slang used by black folks in the 1930's. It alluded to how the bed would rock, and subsequenty roll across the floor during coital relations.

Them music's meant to be dirty, primal, raw and nasty....It wasn't for mass consumption 'cept for the few in the white community that had no problem with it.

The British just piled on the gentrification wagon that started rolling when a guy named Elvis made it okay to listen to.

In no way am I denegrating what bands like the Stones (who are one of my favorite bands), and the Kinks did. They wrote great songs. I'm not really into the Beatles because of the cutsie image they purveyed at first, and the hippie image they purveyed near the end. The very things that endeared them to a very conservative American public. I'll give 'em credit though, they really knew how to play the angles with the media, and they got the girlies screaming.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Go out and get Cobra Verde's "Easy Listening" record, or anything by Death of Samantha (John Petkovic's first band), then tell me who wrote those guitar parts.

You won't be disappointed, trust me.
    I likes me Death of Samantha.

[Segue]Just fell in love with The National, who happen to be a bunch of Cincinnati boys[/Segue]

Rocket From The Crypt should be on this list.

Turn Off Ads?