Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LPtP business discussion thread

Re: LPtP business discussion thread

139,082 page views are the estimated page views the site will see this month, roughly 20% more than last month. I attribute it to the Bot, Growth and the New Season.

Currently the logo is set to suck up 15% of the sites bandwidth this month.

That MUST be fixed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    If you want to do a test to see what the difference is you can

1. load page with current post per page setting

2. go to View, Page Source.

3. Save source as a file on your desktop.

4. then see how big the file is.

change post per page setting, then repeat.

Honestly, I don't think it makes a big difference if you are going to read all the posts in a thread anyway. But it may have some impact in threads where 1) you are making lots of posts or 2) you are just look at end of thread.

Depending on what the size of the base page is, it may actually end up using more KB to read an entire thread with smaller post per page because of teh overhead of the page itself and the Redszone image (which is about 11 KB)

I've also been looking at the smilies, and they seem to be in between .75 and 1.25 KB on average. Decreasing use of smilies couldn't hurt.
    Wow! That does make a difference. I set mine at 10 pages, and it went down from 83 kbs to 18 kbs.

Should be changed now, woy.

we are in kind of a dire situation at the moment. I would disable smilies until we get through this month.

GIK,
    Have you/Boss discusssed with the host the options for when we surpass the monthly bandwidth allocation?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    we are in kind of a dire situation at the moment. I would disable smilies until we get through this month.

GIK,
    Have you/Boss discusssed with the host the options for when we surpass the monthly bandwidth allocation?
    A row of 7 smileys can take up 5-7 K and if displayed 150 times take up over a MB of Bandwith.

We could host them elsewhere.

One idea in the future would be to get a cheap domain from one of the yahoo type of server farms. something like Redszone images. Store all the images and smilies there and link to them from Redszone.

I think I pay $9 a month for one of my domains that I'm not using now so I could do it until we figure it out.

GIK,
    ochre, I have been assured by HostPC that they will not turn off the site if we exceed our bandwidth allotted.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

GIK,
    I host there, too. The standard rate for bandwidth overages is $1.50/GB. As nysupport/Joe said in another thread, it's not that the site will go away when that number is hit, it will just exceed the fixed monthly operating cost. Think of it like exceeding the monthly minutes on your cellphone plan.

Still, it is a worthy goal to be considerate about breaking the budget.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 04-20-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Guys, I have also changed our Thread Display settings. The default max posts before the page split is now 20 (users can set this to 30, however, instead of the previous 40).

I have a shared server plan that I am not hardly using at all at the moment. I believe it has 70 GB monthly transfer and 7 GB storage. I can host stuff at least for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    ochre, I have been assured by HostPC that they will not turn off the site if we exceed our bandwidth allotted.
    Cool. We should make plans on how to generate the cash to cover the overage. I'd be willing to contribute some money to that, but if the rate UA quoted is correct it shouldn't be too much money.

No, I think we'll be OK.

What if someone creates a thread of "Tips to lower our bandwidth" and lists things such as changing the amount of posts to 10 per page. To lower the use of smileys...or whatever else has been thought of to help.

Then lock that thread so it does not turn into another discussion thread. :

Here's an idea.. When you hit "Post reply", it shows the 20 posts in the thread.

Is that necessary? I'm pretty sure that it reloads the posts, because when I reply to a thread with a lot of pictures in it, my slow dialup connection reloads all the gifs.

Maybe when you post a reply, it gives you just the reply box, and possibly a button saying "show thread".. Or maybe just give a reply box, and you can hit the back button if you want to see the thread.

EDIT: ok, I will use "Quick reply".. I've always gotten in the habit of pushing "post reply".. maybe we could remove the "post reply" button until the crisis is over?
    Last edited by REDREAD; 04-20-2005 at 12:29 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Another small help would be to possibly disable sigs, if bandwidth is really tight.
    Wouldn't make a huge difference though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Another small help would be to possibly disable sigs, if bandwidth is really tight.
    Wouldn't make a huge difference though.
    it does if they are smilies. -wink-

Turn Off Ads?