Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LPtP business discussion thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Be the last person to post on this thread XI

Roy and RFS62, Ochra and anyone else, I talked with GIK and have offered to help them try and set up a study to find the usage problems, I also think we can help get a mission statement together and a better payment setup that frees the principals from being the only ones involved.

What we need is the business acumen of the folks on this board and I'm hoping that you guys can lend a hand.

Gotta run to the airport (parents need a ride) I suggest we touch on this when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Roy and RFS62, Ochra and anyone else, I talked with GIK and have offered to help them try and set up a study to find the usage problems, I also think we can help get a mission statement together and a better payment setup that frees the principals from being the only ones involved.

What we need is the business acumen of the folks on this board and I'm hoping that you guys can lend a hand.

Gotta run to the airport (parents need a ride) I suggest we touch on this when I return.

I'm in for whatever you need.

Within reason.

If I have time.

As long as it doesn't cost anything.

This makes me management material.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Okey-doke, works for me. I'll free up whatever time we need.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest today, but whatever free time I have is yours.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the help I can get. BTW, this is the email I received yesterday which prompted many of my actions:

"This is an automated message notifying User reds that 81.2953% of his/her bandwidth and 14.555% of his/her allocated disk space has been used up.

It is estimated, at the current rate of use, that the account bandwidth will be used up in 4.14 days, at which time the account will be suspended for the remainder of the month.

The User should contact Support if this is an issue."

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the help I can get. BTW, this is the email I received yesterday which prompted many of my actions:

"This is an automated message notifying User reds that 81.2953% of his/her bandwidth and 14.555% of his/her allocated disk space has been used up.

It is estimated, at the current rate of use, that the account bandwidth will be used up in 4.14 days, at which time the account will be suspended for the remainder of the month.

The User should contact Support if this is an issue."
    Don't know if this is the forum you want to do this in GIK, but I'll start here.

So when you're saying bandwidth, are you talking about network traffic coming in and out of the site?

Or is it CPU % of the server getting consumed?

And it looks like we're OK for disk space for the time being?

Just trying to arrow in on what the real problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Don't know if this is the forum you want to do this in GIK, but I'll start here.

So when you're saying bandwidth, are you talking about network traffic coming in and out of the site?

Or is it CPU % of the server getting consumed?

And it looks like we're OK for disk space for the time being?

Just trying to arrow in on what the real problem is.
    Its typically raw data that comes in and goes out on the hosts wire from/to a particular site.

Most of these places do not stipulate cpu load. Its usually not a problem except in cases like this when one particular site on a shared server is hitting hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Its typically raw data that comes in and goes out on the hosts wire from/to a particular site.

Most of these places do not stipulate cpu load. Its usually not a problem except in cases like this when one particular site on a shared server is hitting hard.
    Yep, that's what I usually assume too. However, when had a discussion about the big long last thread and the term bandwidth was used, it turned out to be CPU utilization.

So we're looking for ways to keep network packets from flying in and out of our server.

Closing the photo forums, suspending avatars and restricting photo uploads is a good place to start. I'll be a little surprised if it makes a measurable difference but starting with the easy stuff is the way to go.

Re: LPtP business discussion thread

I still see "guests" did that change?

Also, on another large forum I am on that is using this same version as RZ, they limited the amount of searches that can be done by an individual to one every 60 seconds. The owner there said it takes a huge amount of bandwidth to do a search. Maybe to get through the end of April the search feature could even be temporarily turned off?

And, just so you know, we are alloted 73.242GB per month and right now we're at 61.654GB.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    And, just so you know, we are alloted 73.242GB per month and right now we're at 61.654GB.

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
    Otter: Germans?
    Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
    Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
    [thinks hard]
    Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
    [runs out, alone; then returns]
    Bluto: What the [fudge] happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my [bum] from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
    Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these [dopes]. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
    Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
    D-Day: Let's do it.
    Bluto: LET'S DO IT!

Kinda like being in an airplane running out of fuel, and we're ditching the baggage.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Kinda like being in an airplane running out of fuel, and we're ditching the baggage.
    hey, watch it buddy, passengers are next

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Bah, no problem. I've been in on thse kinds of efforts before.

The analogy that I've made is that we're on a 747 going from NYC to LA and we've got to swap out the engines in mid-flight.

No problem. Gulp.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Bah, no problem. I've been in on thse kinds of efforts before.

The analogy that I've made is that we're on a 747 going from NYC to LA and we've got to swap out the engines in mid-flight.

No problem. Gulp.
    It would be better if we could fly from LA to NYC.

I'm going to begin taking some steps.

First, I'm going to ditch my avatar.

Second, I'm going to become a "lurker" for the rest of the day, only posting when I have something truly valuable to add.

Can we make a stickied announcement for others to do the same, or do we want the testing to take place under "normal" board conditions?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?