Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: LPtP business discussion thread

Re: LPtP business discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    A few K here and there won't make much difference to those with DSL/Cable, but it very well could make a significant difference to those on dial-up.

Plus, this place is still growing, and likely will grow faster as time goes on as we have increased word-of-mouth through each new member.

GL

Yeah, and we need to expect that growth with whatever moves we make here.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm just now seeing this thread, and here is my two cents.

1. Add noindex, nofollow to your metatags. this should reduce the number of bots.
    2. change all graphical buttons to CSS based text with an image background. browsers will likely cache the image, and you will only pass the text. Makes loading initially a tad slower, but only that first time. then performance picks up.
    3. Cap the total number of users online. This is a tough one, and the number should probably be determined during an average of a weeks worth of game threads. Cap it at 75. Give subscribers priority over members. Make the you can't get in message redirect viewers to the EZboard backup site. This will help a lot IMO.
    4. When you turn avatars back on, and you likely will have a file size restriction of 2K.
    5. If posting photos is turned back on, a limit of 1 per user per thread. Don't know how you enforce that. Also all photos should be sized and optimized before posting maybe 300px wide, and 9K. Something like that.
    Just a few ideas.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I just noticed the similiar threads that show up at the bottom of the page when you are looking at certain threads. I assume that some kind of search is being ran to show the similiar threads everytime you enter a thread. Would shutting down that search help in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I just noticed the similiar threads that show up at the bottom of the page when you are looking at certain threads. I assume that some kind of search is being ran to show the similiar threads everytime you enter a thread. Would shutting down that search help in any way?
    No, it was just added last night so I assume that that was broached before it was live.

I like the feature. doesn't add a lot to the bandwidth, and allows for a focused discussion.

Also will show multiple randa bashing threads.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I like the feature. doesn't add a lot to the bandwidth, and allows for a focused discussion.

Also will show multiple randa bashing threads.
    Wait until a strikeout thread comes up, that could crash the board.

I deeply appreciate all that everyone on here has done and contributed. It gets more involved and aware of our situation, instead of Boss and GIK having to try and bear this burden alone.

Boss/GIK - what is the current situation on finding/going to a dedicated server? Is it an issue of getting the money together, or finding a suitable one for the demands of this site? Or both?

Because after seeing all that has gone on over the last week, and the problems we have been having and may be facing, and everyone seeing it, I think it won't be hard to raise the funds from those on here to go to that server.

My dad has been a lurker here for a while. He finally registered today since guest access is gone. He indicated that finding the spot to go to for registration was not all that easy to locate from the login screen one gets now.

Maybe we should put a registration link on the login page too?

**edit. Just checked it myself. There is a standard link there that says register. He was probably looking for a button. Still, its customer feedback of a sort

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    My dad has been a lurker here for a while. He finally registered today since guest access is gone. He indicated that finding the spot to go to for registration was not all that easy to locate from the login screen one gets now.

Maybe we should put a registration link on the login page too?

**edit. Just checked it myself. There is a standard link there that says register. He was probably looking for a button. Still, its customer feedback of a sort
    Ideally, we want to allow guests to view the site...I think we may start running our next bandwidth test in the next day or so once we get the numbers for how this test has affected them.

I just check the usage stats from yesterday and the average KB per Hit is back down to 2.9 from 3.68.
    Last edited by pedro; 04-22-2005 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    change all graphical buttons to CSS based text with an image background. browsers will likely cache the image, and you will only pass the text. Makes loading initially a tad slower, but only that first time. then performance picks up.
    This would be very hard as each Vbulletin skin would need to be modified and the work involved in that would be insane. The skins we are using now arent all that heavy on the images compared to other vbulletin boards I have seen so Im not so sure the changes would make a big enough impact on the total bandwidth. Good idea though.

I think the biggest image, size wise, is the header images.

In Black Redszone, the header img is 41kb.
    In Away Redszone the header img is 30kb
    In Redzone (default) the header is is 11kb
    and in the vbulletin skin, its 11kb

Those are the biggest images on average each thread/post is showing.

Maybe another idea is to max out the posts per thread you can view. Has that been tried?

I'm not overly familiar with vBulletin, but what would be that hard about it? Find the image, replace with text link. add external css page. add style statement. yeah it might take a few hours, but really not a big deal.

Heck, I'll do it.

But you are right about the headers... they are killers. None should be more than 10k
    Suck it up cupcake.

I counted around 8k total for buttons. Now multiply that by 80 users in a game thread. all hitting refresh. Add that to the header graphic, and i see how quickly the bandwidth goes bye-bye.

Also, and this is just a thought, but is there a community for vBulletin that designs themes/skins? and is it possible to go tableless altogether for one?

While this wouldn't save all that much in bandwidth, every little bit helps. maybe not as a main theme, but an alternate one?
    Suck it up cupcake.

I have looked into vbulletin design and the way it is done is extremely difficult with a big learning curve. Basically, you have sections of a page and tokens in those pages that are place markers for the functionality like the quote button and signin area and what not. The sections are then taken from an XML file and inserted into a table. So the whol website is actually contructed through a call to the skin table that hold the design information for each page or section you are viewing. Pretty cool, but VERY complex.

The skins I did were really a skin i found for free (most skins are $$$$$) and I just sorta hacked it with my work.

Vbulletin is a table's heavy application. I think a css only version of it was attempted by the folks over at vbulletin but was scrapped because of the browser issues across all platforms.

The 80 users hitting refresh could make an impact on the server, however the button images are cached and reloaded from the client side for a certain amount of time depending on the server, web browser and a user that makes changes to their cache settings (like removing cache altogether).

Agreed on the caching to a a point. But if the user doesn't hit reload, and leaves the thread, then comes back, I think the images are called like a hard refresh. pulling them from the server instead of using a cached image. Not completely sure this is true, but my browser acts like it is.

With the advent of firefox, and IE 7 due out in a few months, a css version might be worth a try.

I'd be willing to do it, if i could get copies of the necessary files.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?