Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: LPtP business discussion thread

Re: Be the last person to post on this thread XI

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I'll help in way thats needed. Just let me know what you need and I'll lend a hand.
    what are the legal/financial requirements for an organization like redszone that is bringing in cash to finance operations, but not seeking to make a profit?

Does redszone need to attain some "not for profit" status?

What are the accounting requirements?

Thought you might know some of those off the top of your head Puffy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Hey, I see you guys took down your avatars. Is that for bandwidth?
    Possibly. Its more just a statement of the sacrifice we are willing to make

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Don't know if this is the forum you want to do this in GIK, but I'll start here.

So when you're saying bandwidth, are you talking about network traffic coming in and out of the site?

Or is it CPU % of the server getting consumed?

And it looks like we're OK for disk space for the time being?

Just trying to arrow in on what the real problem is.
    Its typically raw data that comes in and goes out on the hosts wire from/to a particular site.

Most of these places do not stipulate cpu load. Its usually not a problem except in cases like this when one particular site on a shared server is hitting hard.

ochre, I sent this to TRF:

We are alloted 73.242GB per month and right now we're at 61.654GB.

HostPC.com is our host.

We are currently on shared hosting and that server has the following specs:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    1029760 kB Total Memory
    8644 kB Free Memory
    Apache 1.3.33
    DirectAdmin 1.23.5
    Exim 4.44
    MySQL 4.0.16
    Named 9.2.1
    ProFTPd 1.2.9
    sshd
    vm-Pop3d 1.1.7f-DA-2

He recommended a few changes that I may try to implement shortly to get us down. A few ideas are to close the photo forums, suspend avatars and restruct photo uploads for the rest of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    what are the legal/financial requirements for an organization like redszone that is bringing in cash to finance operations, but not seeking to make a profit?

Does redszone need to attain some "not for profit" status?

What are the accounting requirements?

Thought you might know some of those off the top of your head Puffy.
    Well, I am not a corporate lawyer nor internet law (which is becoming an actual field of law nowadays), so my only real knowledge of these questions would be from law school.

However, here are the best answers I could give - first, Redszone doesn't need not for profit status. The owners aren't trying to make a profit and that is very clear from their mission statement. Second, as long as they are using one account to take in money and pay from that account the accounting should take care of itself - in other words, don't mix funds.

Like I said, I don't know this field of law well, and even less because if they wanted to make this a business it would be based on Ohio law, which has differences from Florida or NY law.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Re: LPtP business discussion thread

I'm going to "stick" this since it's extremely important we try and resolve any potential technical issues we can quickly. Anyone who has any advice or input is welcome to share that here. Thanks.

I have to go out for the day here shortly. I think it would be a decent idea to round up a lot of the suggestions and consolidate them in one spot. There really have been a lot of good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Its typically raw data that comes in and goes out on the hosts wire from/to a particular site.

Most of these places do not stipulate cpu load. Its usually not a problem except in cases like this when one particular site on a shared server is hitting hard.
    Yep, that's what I usually assume too. However, when had a discussion about the big long last thread and the term bandwidth was used, it turned out to be CPU utilization.

So we're looking for ways to keep network packets from flying in and out of our server.

Closing the photo forums, suspending avatars and restricting photo uploads is a good place to start. I'll be a little surprised if it makes a measurable difference but starting with the easy stuff is the way to go.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I still see "guests" did that change?

Also, on another large forum I am on that is using this same version as RZ, they limited the amount of searches that can be done by an individual to one every 60 seconds. The owner there said it takes a huge amount of bandwidth to do a search. Maybe to get through the end of April the search feature could even be temporarily turned off?

2 temporary actions have been taken to assist in the reduction of bandwidth for the remainder of the month. They are:

-The RedsZone Pictures forum is closed

Nevermind about the guest thing...I see now that they are just viewing the page that tells them they need to register. It also shows some registering.

Right, TD. And thanks for the search recommendation. I have heard the same comment from other webmasters. Can anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn
    Also, on another large forum I am on that is using this same version as RZ, they limited the amount of searches that can be done by an individual to one every 60 seconds. The owner there said it takes a huge amount of bandwidth to do a search. Maybe to get through the end of April the search feature could even be temporarily turned off?
    Do we know if doing a "search" causes a problem? If so, we should probably increase the length of time you can do one. I know I do a search about every 10-15 seconds now, it's just habit. I'll try to cut back on doing searches as much for now as well.

Thanks for mentioning that TD. I would have never thought about that.

Would a refresh of the page be better, or cause the same damage?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 04-19-2005 at 10:54 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

What about the additional skins, RedsAway, Black, etc? Do those take up more bandwidth to run?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I just emailed the admin on the other forum I was talking about. There are over 7700 members on that board it has never had an unscheduled downtime on it. Only downtime or problems were when the forum was upgraded and then a couple of days after the upgrade as glitches were found.

I asked what other things they have run into over the years (it has been "open" for over nine years now) that eats up bandwidth. I also asked if it were on a shared server or dedicated one. I did ask about the search feature as well.

I'll let you know what I hear and if she is ok with it I can even put her in touch with you GIK.

Turn Off Ads?