Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: LPtP business discussion thread

Re: LPtP business discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    6. There is the possibility the that the continued use of the attached image of Cbus giant head may be a causing the site overload.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

6. There is the possibility the that the continued use of the attached image of Cbus giant head may be a causing the site overload.

Arrrrr, the Curse of the Sea Bass.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Absolutely, milk-through-the-nose, purple faced hilarious.

Thanks, woy and pedro, for all of your work in trying to get this situation resolved.

Question. I believe the last person threads 1-11 are archived. If those are simply deleted, will that help? If so, I'd say ditch 'em.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 04-19-2005 at 02:55 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Absolutely, milk-through-the-nose, purple faced hilairous.

Thanks, woy and pedro, for all of your work in trying to get this situation resolved.

Question. I believe the last person threads 1-11 are archived. If those are simply deleted, will that help? If so, I'd say ditch 'em.
    We dont have a resource utilization issue in terms of space used, just bandwidth, so the archives can stay.

We dont have a resource utilization issue in terms of space used, just bandwidth, so the archives can stay.
    Alrighty then.

Can we get a stretchier bandwidth?

My Dad has these pants he got at Sears...yea, nevermind.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Thanks woy, pedro

Policing the last thread and no more Cbus pictures sound easy enough to do
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Thanks woy, pedro

Policing the last thread and no more Cbus pictures sound easy enough to do
    I think with the number of page views that thread gets, that it might really help to just not attach pictures and get rid of our avatars.

Image links should be ok as they steal bandwith from other sites.

I think with the number of page views that thread gets, that it might really help to just not attach pictures and get rid of our avatars.

Image links should be ok as they steal bandwith from other sites.
    Would it help if when we logged in we went into "the thread" and stayed in there, doing a refresh of the page, instead of doing a "search" at the top of the page? This would keep people from going in and out of "the thread". Again, I'm totally clueless about any of this, just asking questions that a 5 year old might think of...
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Would it help if when we logged in we went into "the thread" and stayed in there, doing a refresh of the page, instead of doing a "search" at the top of the page? This would keep people from going in and out of "the thread". Again, I'm totally clueless about any of this, just asking questions that a 5 year old might think of...

I'm not sure but possibly. I don't know how the database is structured but my assumption is that when you view a page it is pulling a range of posts based on an indexed database column (post #) rather than doing a keyword search through entire posts. If so, then doing searches is going to use more CPU than refreshing, but not necessarily more bandwidth. So yes, I think minimizing the number of searches would be helpful to the overall speed of RZ, but I do not think it woudl help with the bandwidth issues.

indexed database column (post #)
    that would be pulling from the last viewed post number next to your last visit. If you are sitting on the site I assume the "New Posts" button searches on your ID first as opposed to the site first, then pulls the number of posts since your last search.

If you left for 2 months and did it then it might cause a larger strain, but that would be a one time deal.

To clarify, I don't think using the "search for new posts" feature is that big a drag on resources. it's the key word searches that would really tax CPU.

Re: Key word searches.

What if you made it so a search could only go back so far. (Perhaps by limiting it to 6 months, or lopping off old pages.)

Just brainstorming.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Re: Key word searches.

What if you made it so a search could only go back so far. (Perhaps by limiting it to 6 months, or lopping off old pages.)

Just brainstorming.
    I don't think there is any big harm in doing key word searches, except during peak hours when lots of people on using site. During those times it could cause the site to slow down. Searches, if I am correct, do not cause an excessive use of bandwidth, which is the primary problem RZ is having right now.

Cruisin' for trouble

IIRC, wasn't there a suggestion to limit the number of posts displayed per page?

I'll help anyway I can. Just let me know. I'll defer to those who know better on the tech stuff though.

Turn Off Ads?