Thread: New Pope elected

For a Level Playing Field

Re: New Pope elected

New Pope elected
    Thank God! :

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Well, we never know how a Pope will "rule" thats for sure, and I think you're correct that when JP II was elected he was considered more conservative that Ratzinger.

My only fear is the message this sends out - they only wanted a temporary Pope, and thats clear by the fact he is 78. But if thats the case I wish they went liberal, to bring people back in, instead of pushing them to other faiths.

Of course, this is all only my opinion, and they are surely wiser than me, so I probably have no idea what I am talking about. Which is nothing new
    I'm neither Catholic nor an "expert" about Catholicism, but I suspect that Puffy is right-this is a temporary Pope.
    In the long run I expect a Pope to come from somewhere other than Europe. The growth of Roman Catholicism is taking place primarily in the so-called "Third World." If a multi-national corporation was looking for a new leader, would it keep elevating to the post of CEO someone who was part of a division that was losing market share and had declining sales, or would it promote someone connected to a division showing sales gains and vigor?
    I'm NOT advocating that Catholicism be run like a multi-national, for profit corporation, but if Catholicism looks to its areas of growth, a Pope from somewhere other than Europe should eventually be selected.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I'm neither Catholic nor an "expert" about Catholicism, but I suspect that Puffy is right-this is a temporary Pope.
    In the long run I expect a Pope to come from somewhere other than Europe. The growth of Roman Catholicism is taking place primarily in the so-called "Third World." If a multi-national corporation was looking for a new leader, would it keep elevating to the post of CEO someone who was part of a division that was losing market share and had declining sales, or would it promote someone connected to a division showing sales gains and vigor?
    I'm NOT advocating that Catholicism be run like a multi-national, for profit corporation, but if Catholicism looks to its areas of growth, a Pope from somewhere other than Europe should eventually be selected.
    There were two "candidates" that fit this description. One was from Nigeria and the other was from Brazil (I believe he was from Brazil, but maybe it was Argentina). Coincidentially, they were the two I most favored.

The only place where I slightly differ from what you said - and this is probably just semetics - is that I don't care if the Catholic faith grows, I am more concerned about losing people. Growth will take care of itself in the third world countries through family - I am more worried about Catholics who feel they are not being heard and fleeing.

Again, thats just my feelings - I'm not going anywhere, so maybe I am off base.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

All dyslexics must untie!

Prophecy or forgery--you be the judge!

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

John Paul II (1978-2005) "De labore Solis"
    (of the eclipse of the sun, or from the labour of the sun)
    Hist.: Karol Wojtyla was born on May 18, 1920 during a solar eclipse. He also comes from behind the former Iron Curtain (the East, where the Sun rises). He might also be seen to be the fruit of the intercession of the Woman Clothed with the Sun labouring in Revelation 12 (because of his devotion to the Virgin Mary). His Funeral occurred on 8 April, 2005 when there was a solar eclipse visible in the Americas.

Benedict XVI (2005-) "Gloria olivæ"
    The Benedictine order traditionally said this Pope would come from their order.
    Never overlook the obvious

Good, hes 78. That means we will be seeing this again probably in the next 5 years.

And im not Catholic.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Aren't all popes "temporary"? Benedict the XVI is, after all, the 265th in a line that started with St. Peter.

That being said, Pope Benedict XVI is in excellent physical health according to reports. A 15-year papacy is certainly not out-of-the-question. And popes have to be a certain age. It's not like they can elect a 35-year-old just so he is pope for several decades. JP II was about as young as it gets, and that was only because the previous pope died after just one month.

Although I thought the new pope might hail from Africa or Latin America, Cardinal Ratzinger was the best candidate. Hopefully he will lead a renaissance for the Catholic Church in Germany and in Europe. It is already very, very strong in Africa and Latin America.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 04-19-2005 at 07:10 PM.

Panicking Fan since 1993

And it isn't necessarily true that an expected short term Pope can not undertake reforms. The first John Paul in 1978 started a number of reforms that JP II continued and strengthened. So much so that JP II took his name from the first JP to mark the continuity of the 2 reigns rather than a separation of the two.

I think the choice of Bendict shows that the cardinals don't expect a time-server or 'idle' pope. He's expected to make his influence felt.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

About 40 years ago, they suspected that Fidel "Goldenhands" Castro wouldn't be around much longer. The "short term" strategy may not be a good one.
    Stick to your guns.

I wonder if his age is some sort of compromise between hardliners and reformers.

ws1990reds

I have a sneaking suspicion that the pope changed his name from 'Joseph' to separate himself from Joseph Stalin. :

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I told my wife that he took the name Pope Jamal, and she believed me.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ws1990reds
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the pope changed his name from 'Joseph' to separate himself from Joseph Stalin. :
    Stalin not so much, but he was a member of the Hitler Youth.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I told my wife that he took the name Pope Jamal, and she believed me.
    That's hilarious. I may try that on my fiancee.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Stalin not so much, but he was a member of the Hitler Youth.
    Not to defend that part of his life, but every youth of that age was required to join that organization. If his parents lived in Germany, he really had no choice.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Not to defend that part of his life, but every youth of that age was required to join that organization. If his parents lived in Germany, he really had no choice.
    Yes, I found that comment (left as it was) to be disturbing. He was released from the Hitler Youth, which all youth were FORCED to join at age 14, b/c of his desire to become a priest. I guess those who desire to be a priest are not good genocide-machines! Imagine that.

Turn Off Ads?