Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft thread

All dyslexics must untie!

NFL Draft thread

I'm a Viking's fan since the early '70's and I know bunch of you are following the buildup to the draft on Saturday. What's your take on your favorite team's decision-making? Who should they take? What teams are moving up/down? What players' stock is rising/falling?

I'll start with Minnesota. 1st round, 7th pick = Mike Williams, WR from USC. 1st round, 18th pick...depends on what the Packers decide about DE Kampman's offer sheet, tomorrow. May want to trade this pick down, to target an OG (Brown, Virginia?) and/or Mike Nugent, the kicker from OSU

Nexxxt...?
    Last edited by gm; 04-19-2005 at 04:20 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: NFL Draft thread

Panther's fan since their inception in '95.

The Panthers lost Muhsin Muhammad to FA and have Steve Smith returning from a leg injury last year. Although Keary Colbert played better than expected, more help is needed at WR. The Panthers are HOPING that Tony Williamson (WR-South Carolina) or one of the big three RBs (Benson, Williams, Brown) are available. If not, then the Panthers hope to trade out of the 14 spot and grab and extra pick or two.

I am a NY Football Giants fan and I wanna CB with the Giants 43rd pick. Or Castillo the NT from Northwestern.

With their third rounder I want either Fason from Florida, Shelton from Louisville or Marion Barber from Minnesota. Whichever of those runningbacks who lasts until the third round pick.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    The Panthers are HOPING that Tony Williamson (WR-South Carolina) or one of the big three RBs (Benson, Williams, Brown) are available. If not, then the Panthers hope to trade out of the 14 spot and grab and extra pick or two.
    Good luck on one of those stud RBs slipping. Williamson's your best bet, I've even heard some sources saying that the Viking's brass like Tony more than Mike Williams (game-breaking speed to "replace" Moss) If that's true, Minne may look to trade down to 11/12...OTOH, they may trade up to 2/3 and snag Braylon Edwards, if the price isn't too steep...
    Last edited by gm; 04-19-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Good luck on one of those stud RBs slipping. Williamson's your best bet, I've even heard some sources saying that the Viking's brass like Tony more than Mike Williams (game-breaking speed to "replace" Moss)
    I don't believe that - I think its smoke so that teams don't trade in front of the Vikes to snatch Williams.

JMHO.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Not Laughing

Colts fan. Here is my conspiracy theory. Assuming Ricky Williams decides to not return to the Dolphins, the Colts will trade Edgerrin James to the Dolphins for the 2nd pick overall and then draft Ronnie Brown. Brown would not need to immediately start as Dominic Rhodes is a capable back. Then for their 29th pick I’m thinking a cornerback (Marlin Jackson) or a defensive end to play opposite of Freeney (Erasmus James).

Or maybe I’m way off…
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I don't believe that - I think its smoke so that teams don't trade in front of the Vikes to snatch Williams.

JMHO.
    Hope you're right. I like the threat of MW in the red zone and a more-balanced offense, as opposed to the quick-strike version with Randy

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Hope you're right. I like the threat of MW in the red zone and a more-balanced offense, as opposed to the quick-strike version with Randy
    Mike Williams reminds me a lot of Cris Carter. "All he does is catch touchdowns."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Cruisin' for trouble

If ANY of the three WRs or ANY of the three RBs are available, I'm sure the Panthers would be ecstatic.

Failing that and a suitable trade down, the Panthers might wind up taking an OL.

Mike Williams reminds me a lot of Cris Carter. "All he does is catch touchdowns."
    They worked out together this year, and CC has some high praise for MW

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...l/11428431.htm

I wasn't the biggest CC fan in his final days with the Vikes, I heard he contributed to the cliques in the lockerroom. But if his advice helps MW get off to a Moss-like start with Minne next fall? It's ALL good :

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Colts fan. Here is my conspiracy theory. Assuming Ricky Williams decides to not return to the Dolphins, the Colts will trade Edgerrin James to the Dolphins for the 2nd pick overall and then draft Ronnie Brown.
    Everything I have heard to date is that the Colts are only asking for a SECOND rounder and they still aren't getting any takers. There is no way they'll suddenly get the second overall pick for Edge when the Dolphins could just stay put and take a younger, healthier version of him (Ronnie Brown) with their pick.

I'll be surprised if they get a late second rounder for James. I'll be SHOCKED if get anything better.

I still remember when Buddy Ryan cut Cris Carter (and his above referenced famous quote). Carter was one team away from being a Giant (parcells loved him and immediately put a claim in on him). The team immediately before the Giants - the Minnesota Vikings.

If only the Giants had a worse record than the Vikings......
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

If only the Giants had a worse record than the Vikings......
    Hopefully, Packer fans will be saying that for years to come re: this Saturday. The Christmas Eve result was painful, but payback's been sweet ever since...

For my Eagles, I would really, really like to see them try and trade up from 31 in order to get Clayton. I doubt that will happen, though. I'm, thinking they will trade up, and get Khalif Barnes. I'm cool with that, too. Mel Kiper keeps saying that they will take Matt Jones at 31, but I just can't see that. Maybe with their 2nd pick at #35, but not with their 1st. If they stay at 31, I would guess they take the best lineman available (offense or defense) and probably end up with Matt Roth.

I know a lot of Bengal fans who are openly lusting after some of Philly's extra picks and would love to see the Eagles trade up to #17.

Turn Off Ads?