Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: NFL Draft thread

Re: NFL Draft thread

Body has a real shot at making the team. I've seen him a few times at UT, very productive player. Gritty, hard-nosed, definitely a Marvin type. Maybe someone would've drafted him if he hadn't smashed his arm in the Motor City Bowl. Considering safety is a weak spot right now he could make it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    There's a certain hard hitting cornerback / safety from Michigan that declared early and, to my amazement, no one drafted, that I would like the Bengals to pick up as well.
    Nevermind. Already taken:

WDFN Sports Radio 1130 AM in Detroit reports the Arizona Cardinals have signed undrafted rookie free agent S Ernest Shazor (Michigan) to a two-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy

Wisconsin players tend not to produce at the next level
    Yeah that Lee Evans was a real stiff as a first round pick last year, 48 catches for over 800 yards and 9 TouchDowns. I think the Bills were pretty happy with his production.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I know Belicheck has his players, but between this pick and Logan Mankins(OL projected to go 3rd round but NE took in the first), this is pretty comical.
    Logan Mankins is a player. Mankins, Evan Mathis (G - Alabama), Chris Spencer (C- Mississippi), and the Bengals own Eric Ghiaciuc (C - Central Michigan) were by far the most athletic interior linemen in this draft. For teams that value athletic guys that can move and get into the second level, those four guys were at the top of the draft board.

Considering the other three guys went off the board at #26, #32, and #79, the Bengals were extremely lucky to get Ghiaciuc at #119. That said, I don't get the Kieft pick. He strikes me as an immobile statue who's saving grace is the fact that he occupies three zip codes. I just don't see any pro potential in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Yeah that Lee Evans was a real stiff as a first round pick last year, 48 catches for over 800 yards and 9 TouchDowns. I think the Bills were pretty happy with his production.
    I'm sorry - did I say all Wisconsin players don't produce? Did I say that anywhere?

Look up the word "tend" sometime. Dictionaries are great tools.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I'm sorry - did I say all Wisconsin players don't produce? Did I say that anywhere?

Look up the word "tend" sometime. Dictionaries are great tools.
    The fact that Evans was probably the best pick of the 2004 draft,in and of itself makes your statement inane. Be that as it may, check out :

Chris Chambers
    Mark Tausher
    Al Johnson
    Troy Vincent
    Casey Rabach
    Alex Lewis

Not much of a "trend" at least the way its defined in my Websters. Ron Dayne does not equal "trend". The problem with this time of the year is that anybody can buy a football magazine at the supermarket, and then think it makes them an expert.

Chris Chambers
    Mark Tausher
    Al Johnson
    Troy Vincent
    Casey Rabach
    Alex Lewis

Not much of a "trend" at least the way its defined in my Websters. Ron Dayne does not equal "trend". The problem with this time of the year is that anybody can buy a football magazine at the supermarket, and then think it makes them an expert.
    How about:

Dayne
    Fletcher
    Mcintosh
    Aaron Gibson
    Wendall Bryant

Seems like a trend when half your first round draft choices don't work out.

And if you're inferring that all I do is buy a magazine at a supermarket and think I'm an expert, well, you don't know me one bit and I'm not getting in this pissing contest with you.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Bengals signed:
    Herana-Daze Jones-S-Indiana
    Josh Haldi-QB-Northern Illinois (camp fodder)
    Rich Demers-FB-UMass

Rumor is flyiing that they also signed Jeremy Thomas-FB-Georgia
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The fact that Evans was probably the best pick of the 2004 draft,in and of itself makes your statement inane. Be that as it may, check out :

Chris Chambers
    Mark Tausher
    Al Johnson
    Troy Vincent
    Casey Rabach
    Alex Lewis

And I suppose being a Packer fan makes you an expert?

If there were any doubt about your NFL Draft acumen, one only needs to look at your comment about Lee Evans. While he is a very good player, he's far from the best pick of that draft. Heck, he's not even the best WR to come out of that draft, as that honor goes to Roy Williams or Mark Clayton.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan
    While he is a very good player, he's far from the best pick of that draft. Heck, he's not even the best WR to come out of that draft, as that honor goes to Roy Williams or Mark Clayton.
    While Willliams and Clayton were good picks, Evans had the better year. He had a major impact on changing the Bills from a bad team to a team with 9 wins. He really improved as the season progressed, and made some big plays down the stretch in games that meant something. He proved he was a playmaker and a big game player. Willliams and Clayton played in weaker divisions for teams that were never in the race. They may turn out to be better receivers, but Evans had the better year.

While Willliams and Clayton were good picks, Evans had the better year. He had a major impact on changing the Bills from a bad team to a team with 9 wins. He really improved as the season progressed, and made some big plays down the stretch in games that meant something. He proved he was a playmaker and a big game player. Willliams and Clayton played in weaker divisions for teams that were never in the race. They may turn out to be better receivers, but Evans had the better year.
    You know Buffalo's offense was terrible and their defense was stellar right?

Yea, Mark Clayton had almost 1200 yards (1193) and 7 TD's, but Evans was better with 843 yards and 9 TD???

How does that happen?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

So despite inferior statistics, you still think Evans had a better year?

Evans: 48 catches, 843 yards, 9 TD's
    Williams: 54 catches, 817 yards, 8 TD's
    Clayton: 80 catches, 1193 yards, 7 TD's

You can say that Evans had a better year than Williams, but I want Roy Williams on my team over Evans for the short and long term. Clayton blows both of them out of the water though.

I think if you take a closer look at the numbers, you'll see that Evans had his best games against the Dolphins, Bengals, and 49ers, two of whom ranked in the bottom 3rd of the NFL defensively last year. Basically Evans beat up on the defensively challenged teams while he dissapeared against those with superior defenses. In eight games he was held to two catches or less.

I think Evans will be a solid reciever, but basically he's Derrick Mason, one of those second-tier WR's. I bet that in a couple years Williams will be the top WR in the game and Clayton won't be far behind.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

In the 4 games played in December, all of which the Bills had to win to have a chance at the playoffs, Evans caught 6 TD passes. Not too shabby. In three of the four games he had over 90 yard in receptions. To me thats a lot more significant than the fact that Clayton caught a lot of passes in a few meaningless games ( over 140 yds in losses to San Diego and St Louis).

Turn Off Ads?