Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft thread

Re: NFL Draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    I know a lot of Bengal fans who are openly lusting after some of Philly's extra picks and would love to see the Eagles trade up to #17.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Colts fan. Here is my conspiracy theory. Assuming Ricky Williams decides to not return to the Dolphins, the Colts will trade Edgerrin James to the Dolphins for the 2nd pick overall and then draft Ronnie Brown. Brown would not need to immediately start as Dominic Rhodes is a capable back. Then for their 29th pick Im thinking a cornerback (Marlin Jackson) or a defensive end to play opposite of Freeney (Erasmus James).

Or maybe Im way off
    The latest rumor is Edgerrin James to Tampa Bay for Ronde Barber and a 3rd round pick.(ESPN)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I'll start with Minnesota. 1st round, 7th pick = Mike Williams, WR from USC.
    Mike Williams is gone with the 5th pick to Tampa Bay. He's a local boy and this town is crazy over him. I think it is a stupid pick- the Bucs need a runner who doesn't fumble- but my money is he goes to Gruden and the Buccaneers.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    I know a lot of Bengal fans who are openly lusting after some of Philly's extra picks and would love to see the Eagles trade up to #17.
    I don't think the Eagles would trade up that high. I was figuring that they would trade their 1st and then their pick at the end of the 2nd to move up somewhere in the low 20s (maybe with Dallas at 22). I'm just thinking that the Bengals would probably want #31 and #35 to get #17, but I don't see the Eagles doing that.

I'm a huge Vikings fan myself, and I like the position they're in. My dream draft is to get both Troy Williamson and Shawn Merriman. I really like Merriman, though if the Packers match the offer sheet to Kampman (which I think they will), then you look somewhere else. I think Merriman at #7 and a trade up a couple picks with the 18th and one of the RB's being the bait could get them Williamson. Could also offer another lower round pick to seal the deal. Then in the second round you take Nugent no matter what. I'd be ecstatic if they took Nugent in the 2nd, as I see that being a glaring need on this team.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I'm a Bengals fan and I'm just glad this isn't the most important day of the year anymore for Cincinnati fans.

That being said, I certainly hope we take a running back. You just can't ever have enough.

/sarcasm
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan
    I'm a huge Vikings fan myself, and I like the position they're in. My dream draft is to get both Troy Williamson and Shawn Merriman. I really like Merriman, though if the Packers match the offer sheet to Kampman (which I think they will), then you look somewhere else. I think Merriman at #7 and a trade up a couple picks with the 18th and one of the RB's being the bait could get them Williamson. Could also offer another lower round pick to seal the deal. Then in the second round you take Nugent no matter what. I'd be ecstatic if they took Nugent in the 2nd, as I see that being a glaring need on this team.
    Well, Williamson and Merriman are projected to go somewhere in the early teens. The trick would be to find two willing partners and swap the 7/18 picks for something like 11/12. (Currently, Dallas is at 11 and San Diego is at 12) So you'd offer to move down from 7 with one of them and take the pick(s) they give you and use it to move up from the 18. Not impossible, but very difficult.

I love pass rushers, but Merriman projects more to OLB in a 3-4, and the Vikes have Johnstone to play DE on passing downs. If Minne is looking for a DE at 18, he should be an every-down stud (Spears?)

As much as the Vikings need a kicker, it's hard to believe they'd use their #2 (49) on Nugent. OTOH, it's unlikely that he'll still be on the board when they pick in round 3. So, perhaps a trade down could fill several holes? They could take the 18th pick and parlay it into a couple more 2nd rounders (Raiders, 38/47?) which could then be used to draft Nugent, a guard and a DE/LB. Not as much "pizzazz" as your scenario, but this draft is 50 deep and much of the talent in the 2nd round is comparable with the late 1st round...as long as the team's war room has their board in order and has targeted players that best fit their needs.
    Last edited by gm; 04-20-2005 at 03:14 AM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Well, Williamson and Merriman are projected to go somewhere in the early teens. The trick would be to find two willing partners and swap the 7/18 picks for something like 11/12. (Currently, Dallas is at 11 and San Diego is at 12) So you'd offer to move down from 7 with one of them and take the pick(s) they give you and use it to move up from the 18. Not impossible, but very difficult.

I love pass rushers, but Merriman projects more to OLB in a 3-4, and the Vikes have Johnstone to play DE on passing downs. If Minne is looking for a DE at 18, he should be an every-down stud (Spears?)

As much as the Vikings need a kicker, it's hard to believe they'd use their #2 (49) on Nugent. OTOH, it's unlikely that he'll still be on the board when they pick in round 3. So, perhaps a trade down could fill several holes? They could take the 18th pick and parlay it into a couple more 2nd rounders (Raiders, 38/47?) which could then be used to draft Nugent, a guard and a DE/LB. Not as much "pizzazz" as your scenario, but this draft is 50 deep and much of the talent in the 2nd round is comparable with the late 1st round...as long as the team's war room has their board in order and has targeted players that best fit their needs.
    You mentined Spears and he's a guy I really like. I've been trying to decide if he'd still be on the board at 18 and I just don't know. Hard to determine where other teams rank him because there are so many DE's in this draft that could go in the first round. While I listed my dream scenario, if I'm being realistic I doubt the Vikes could pull off getting both Merriman and Williamson. I think you take the best WR available at 7, and then if Spears is there at 18 (and the Packers have matched the offer sheet to Kampman ) you snatch him up.

If Kampman ends up a Viking, which we'll know sometime tomorrow, there are all kinds of options at 18. Trade up, down, take a guy like Thomas Davis, who knows. One scenario I wouldn't rule out is taking Derrick Johnson at #7 (he seems to have fallen a bit) and then using the 18th to get Clayton from OU. Not crazy about that option, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. That too may hinge on Kampman's status though.

I'll admit that Nugent at 49 is somewhat of a reach, though I think you'll be hard pressed to find a player in the second round that is a safter bet to pan out. My thinking here is that since the Vikes have two first rounders there is no harm in reaching a bit here (and I stress that you can make the case it wouldn't be a reach). If they didn't have those two first-rounders then I say forget Nugent in the second, but because they do I say go for it and get a great kicker for the next 10-15 years.
    Last edited by Sabo Fan; 04-20-2005 at 03:35 AM.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Cruisin' for trouble

The Raiders traded Philip Buchanan to the Texans for Houston's 2nd and 3rd round picks. Guess Houston does not have a need for a CB now.

The Redskins acquired the 25th pick in the first round from Denver for their third rounder and next years first round pick.

What a horrible trade for the Skins. That first rounder next year could be a top ten pick. Methinks it has to do with the salary cap hell they are expecting to be hit with next year and not being able to afford a first rounder next year, but still, as a Giant fan, i love them giving up a first rounder next year for the bottom of the first round this year when this year is considered a weak draft and next year is considered a BIG TIME draft.

Yeah Daniel Synder!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    The Redskins acquired the 25th pick in the first round from Denver for their third rounder and next years first round pick.

What a horrible trade for the Skins. That first rounder next year could be a top ten pick. Methinks it has to do with the salary cap hell they are expecting to be hit with next year and not being able to afford a first rounder next year, but still, as a Giant fan, i love them giving up a first rounder next year for the bottom of the first round this year when this year is considered a weak draft and next year is considered a BIG TIME draft.

Yeah Daniel Synder!!
    Wanna hear the funny part?

The Redskins are looking at Jason Campbell(QB-Auburn) with that pick, and Campbell is projected to be a second rounder.

Can you say REACH? I guess they didnt learn from Ramsey.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Trade Talk There is talk of the Fish trading their 1st pick to the Vikes
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Trade Talk There is talk of the Fish trading their 1st pick to the Vikes
    You beat me to it. Most of the Minne chatters hope this doesn't happen. Not that they don't like Edwards, they just don't want to give up the #7 AND the #18 to move up. Then there's the motivation factor. Braylon's intangibles leave something to be desired (scouting comments like "...not always mentally on top of his game, loses focus or takes his eye off the ball..." etc.) so giving him a #2-sized contract could negatively affect an already-shaky work ethic.

If I were the Viking's GM, I'd keep the Miami FO on ice until after SF picks the #1. Then offer the #7, #49 and the "mid-round" pick. If the Fish say "no" then let the Browns or Bears pick Edwards and keep those 7/18/49 picks.

If the Vikes do the deal and pick Braylon...here's hoping he has a NFL career even better than their previous great Michigan wideout: Anthony Carter.

So Chip, if the Fish get the 7 and 18, who do you like? RB? QB? Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    So Chip, if the Fish get the 7 and 18, who do you like? RB? QB? Defense?
    All 3.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?