Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Thread: 4/21 vs Pirates

Re: 4/21 vs Pirates

Good analysis M2.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Two out of three in Florida.

And we'll be right where we want to be.

Go REDS!!!!!!!!!
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by ws1990reds
    That's what you get when"slugging" is the focus of your lineup. You need "hitters" to really make anything of an offense. We can talk all season about how the Reds offense "could put up a ton of runs", but without hitters that can consistently drive in runs, it's all a moot point.
    Guess what type of hitter drives in runs most consistently. Go ahead.

I won't hold you in suspense. It's guys who slug. By far and going away the highest correlation between RBIs and any other stat is SLG. I agree the Reds could use a more diverse lineup, but the team is what it is at this time, a club that lives and dies with the longball. Sean Casey's too hot and cold and Joe Randa's too Joe Randa to significantly remake the team (I believe they'd be more effective hitting #5 and #6). IMO the guy who most changes the composition of the lineup is Freel because he adds speed. Eddie Encarnacion could add a slash and burn element next year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Randa has been hitting the ball hard just right at people unlike Casey who is hitting week grounders on the infield. Aurilia just hit two hrs last night and you sit him right now the ball is like seeing a beach ball right now plus if you look at Aurilia's numbers he has been driving in runs lately. Kearns would have been a better upside at the plate than Jr right now. I am not sure if Jr is going to recover for this last injury. He looks slow in the field and on the bases, his power was driven by his legs and right now does not have it.
    Aurilia was 3 for his last 18 heading into last night. He's getting RBIs because he's seen a crazy number of runners on base (33 guys on for him in 40 PA). That's opportunity, not skill. Last night was nice, but don't think it indicates a turn of the worm.

I don't think Randa's hitting the ball as hard as you do. Regardless he's in a rather predictable swoon.

Kearns has been hitting .222 all season with a good BB rate and no power. He's yet to get hot by any measure.

Jr.'s got a .409 OB in his last six games, though I agree about his power. Ryan Freel did just fine subbing in for Randa.

You're also overlooking that Kip Wells is a much tougher pitcher on RH hitters than LH hitters. It made a lot of sense to sit those guys today. Wells' main weakness against RH hitters is wildness and Freel's better equipped to take advantage of that than Randa. You could argue Kearns would have been better equipped for it than Wily Mo, but no way is Wily Mo getting benched right now.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Guess what type of hitter drives in runs most consistently. Go ahead.

I won't hold you in suspense. It's guys who slug. By far and going away the highest correlation between RBIs and any other stat is SLG. I agree the Reds could use a more diverse lineup, but the team is what it is at this time, a club that lives and dies with the longball. Sean Casey's too hot and cold and Joe Randa's too Joe Randa to significantly remake the team (I believe they'd be more effective hitting #5 and #6). IMO the guy who most changes the composition of the lineup is Freel because he adds speed. Eddie Encarnacion could add a slash and burn element next year.
    Well said.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Oh and it wasn't just the hitters that needed to do their job. The fielding wasn't in it as well. As good a slugger Dunn is he still cost the REDS with a fielding error today.

Turn Off Ads?