Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sickening story out of Columbus

Sickening story out of Columbus

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=43890

Victims of the blackboard jungle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: April 20, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

The horror that happened at Mifflin High School in Columbus, Ohio, is happening in public schools everywhere. While the names and ages of the young victims vary, one thing is constant across the country: spineless education bureaucrats more concerned about covering their hides than protecting innocent children from harm.

On March 9, according to press reports, a developmentally disabled girl told Mifflin school officials that four boys dragged her into the school auditorium, punched her in the head and face, pushed her to her knees, and forced her to have oral sex with two of them. A crowd of students watched, and one student videotaped the incident. The 16-year-old girl's lip was bloodied in the alleged gang attack – dazed and crying, her face swollen, she reported the assault immediately to her special education teacher, Lisa Upshaw-Haider.

One monstrosity was piled upon another. When the girl's father, who had been summoned to the school by the teacher, insisted on calling police, an assistant principal twice urged him not to call 911, according to Upshaw-Haider. Assistant Principal Rick Watson implored the girl's father to call the non-emergency police line instead of 911, a violation of Ohio state law, because "a news channel might tape his daughter and cause her further mental trauma," according to his statement to school investigators.

Meanwhile, according to witnesses, the school's principal, Regina Crenshaw, shuttered herself in a meeting about bell schedules and curriculum for a half-hour while underlings scrambled to perform damage control.

Cover your ears, cower in a classroom, and pray that the media stay out of it. It's all about the children, right?

Witness statements revealed that none of the administrators bothered to call a nurse to assist the girl. Only after the girl's father called police himself did law enforcement come to the scene. By the time the cops arrived, all of the administrators had gone home for the day.

The principal is now in the process of being fired. The animals accused of assaulting the victim were suspended and may face criminal charges. But two of three assistant principals, including alleged cover-up man Rick Watson, are protesting their measly suspensions over the incident as "unwarranted." Worried as ever about his own hide, Watson said through a lawyer that he hoped to be "spared the public ordeal of a full hearing."

What about the girl's ordeal? As is frequently the case in these situations, this was probably not the first time the disabled student was attacked. Police are investigating claims that she had been previously assaulted on a school bus, and that boys had tried to disrobe her at school.

Public-school Pollyannas will dismiss the Mifflin High School horror story as an isolated case. Open your eyes. Smell the stench. It's in your neighborhood.

The New York Post reported recently that assaulted or sexually abused students and staff members collected $6.9 million in negligence claims against the New York City school system in fiscal 2004, an 18 percent increase in payouts over the previous fiscal year. The largest settlement, $1 million, was awarded to a Bronx high-school student whose classmates stabbed him in the head with a screwdriver. The school had refused his mother's request for a safety transfer before the assault.

In my home county, Montgomery County, Md., a local government report revealed that nearly 12,000 children ages 12 to 17 are bullied, abused or robbed by peers and others. Of that number, more than 1,000 are victims of sexual assaults. The school system, which is not required to inform police of these crimes, has been bombarded with complaints by parents that school officials ignored the victims or downplayed sexual assaults, including a number of incidents involving young girls attacked on local school buses.

These are heart-stopping nightmares every parent fears. You send your children to school to learn, not to be assaulted by classmates and abused by the negligent overseers of Public School Classrooms Gone Wild. If these assaults occurred in private schools, the institutions would be shut down. Instead, the government dance of the lemons continues, as abominable administrators skip away with "sensitivity training," "reassignment" and eternal protection from accountability.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sickening story out of Columbus

Oh. My. Dear. LORD. I have a brother who would be in one of those classes. I'm going to stop typing before I got enraged and obscene. This would be a big reason why I STOPPED going to a public high school.

Scary horrible stuff. My public school experience was fine. But there are sure some horror stories out there for sure. In this day and age, I am seriously considering private school for my daughter, quite contrary to my initial thoughts, not to "shelter" but to "protect" if that makes any sense...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I think its unfair to label all public schools. In the area I live in, the public schools are, in my opinion, a lot better than the private schools. I know, I went to both.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

For those who listen to Glenn Beck, he has really taken this story by the horns over the past week. His interview earlier this week with Mayor Coleman got very heated and then on Hannity and Colmes last night, he and Alan Combs got into another heated debate.

Here is a link to both interviews-

http://www.glennbeck.com/news/04212005.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Coleman is a phoney all about style and little about substance. Crime has gone up all around the inner city areas since his election and his relationship with the police (my dad is a columbus cop for over 35 years) is not all that good. I would prefer Coleman run for governer, lose and go away forever to be forgotten in the political scene.

In regards to public schools...not all are that bad. New Albany (plain local) is one of the regions best schools and would rather send my kid there there some private school that have just as much problems with rotten kids as public.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I think its unfair to label all public schools. In the area I live in, the public schools are, in my opinion, a lot better than the private schools. I know, I went to both.
    You're right of course, RL. It's just that I start to see or hear things now that maybe just were not as prevalent back in my public school days. And now I have a daughter and I just want her to not have to worry about stuff even close to this nature going to school every day. I went to public school and never ever ever thought for 1 second that anything like this could ever happen. That's all I want for her. And I guess I see possibly some private schools as a chance of "increasing my odds" for a better environment. Of course each school system must stand on its own merits.

The public school my daughter would go to is very big but is supposedly quite good too. My statement was definitely reactionary, and as I said I always believed I did just fine at a public school - it was more a product of our overall community than anything else.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?