Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What does it REALLY mean to earn money?

ws1990reds

What does it REALLY mean to earn money?

I've been mulling this over for a couple of months. Since I've been unemployed for almost a year (2-year computer degrees are near worthless), I have learned how to make do with less. My brings home a decent paycheck as a nurse, but overall we are "poor". Since I have been removed from the notion of "earning a paycheck" (this year I plan on taking prerequisital courses toward being admitted into a nursing school next year), I have realized that we are all perfectly capable of surviving happily without "money" (I've gotten involved in bartering lately), but the government has created this fictional system called the "economy". If it weren't so important to earn more and more money each year, there wouldn't be any need or an economy. Competition would be between those who barter (have a service, skill or product to offer). This leads me to a question I would like to ask those here: If you weren't living in a system where you "earn money", would you still value your life? Without money, how valuable is life? Sorry if I sound naive or misinformed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What does it REALLY mean to earn money?

The bartering system is still an 'economy' - cash is simply the vector through which goods and services are commonly exchanged in modern society.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Sure, I would still value life.. Money is a tool to get you necessities and unneeded "stuff". The unneeded "Stuff" really doesn't make you happy (other than perhaps the rush for a day or two of getting a new toy).

Good luck with nursing school ws1990reds. It's a shame that the computer jobs are all disappearing. Glad you have a plan.

Upsides and downsides to money. Upside: It allows for grand scale investment that wouldn't be possible without it (or slavery) Downside: It leads to greater concentrations of wealth in fewer hands.

Turn Off Ads?