Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread: Reds VS Cubs 4/25 Game Thread

Re: Reds VS Cubs 4/25 Game Thread

because our opinions dont seem to matter anyway--our opinions for what they need to do would fall on deaf ears anyway--and im not trying to start anything but it seems like some moderators on here are awfully thin skinned lately--this is a reds fan site but few seem to be able to tolerate when someone is speaking the truth

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    But since you are so good at pointing out the downfalls of this team surely you have some insight on how to go about fixing it. Right?
    I made suggestions in the offseason and DanO did the opposite. I am confident we are on are way to becoming the Pirates and Brewers.

For the record again I suggested
    1) Trade Jr and Casey... pay $35-40M of the 48 owed. Acquire a catcher and a young arm.
    2) Trade Graves for whatever ... pay half his salary.
    3) Trade Larue
    4) Sign Dunn, Kearns and Pena
    5) move Freel to LF and Dunn to 1b.
    6) FeLo is the SS
    7) Turn rotation over to the young guys ... bottom feed with a Loaiza ... take a shot on a Millwood or Miller
    8) Make Wagner the closer
    7) Take your lumps in 2005 in hope of building something for 2006 and beyond.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-25-2005 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN
    because our opinions dont seem to matter anyway--our opinions for what they need to do would fall on deaf ears anyway--and im not trying to start anything but it seems like some moderators on here are awfully thin skinned lately--this is a reds fan site but few seem to be able to tolerate when someone is speaking the truth

But that's the thing. We all know why this team is going nowhere. It's been said time and time again. It what to do about it that creates good discussion.

And I'm not talking as a moderator right now. This is one poster to another.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    But since you are so good at pointing out the downfalls of this team surely you have some insight on how to go about fixing it. Right?

Even if they are just your opinions. I'd rather see opinions on how to improve this team than post after post on why this team sucks.
    Start with Dave Miley. The guy consistently gets outmanaged and Jack McKeon (who should still be in Cincinnati but that's a different story) played him like a violin over the weekend.

Ken Griffey Jr., the man who helped push McKeon out the door, isn't cutting it here anymore. He would be fine for a big-market, high-payroll team like the Yankees or Red Sox, who could afford to take a chance and pay him for minimal production in the hopes he regains his long lost form. The Reds don't have that luxury. It's not going to be easy to trade him but if it's at all possible, he should be moved ASAP.

Wily Mo Pena, Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn need to play every day. All three of them. The days of taking whoever goes 0-4 out of the lineup the next day should be over.

Trade Sean Casey. He may be the "Mayor." He may be a fan favorite of Lance McAllister and the little kids on the GABP Jumbotron who would select him as sixth inning "Pick to Click" if the other batters in the inning were Pete Rose and Babe Ruth. But we have seen his best and it's not enough to make a difference on this team. He has spent his entire career here and the team has been a disaster every year. And, quite frankly, his constant ground ball double plays to second base are getting old. By losing Casey, you free up first base for Dunn or, if nothing else, Griffey, thereby getting WMP and AK into the same lineup.

Ditto for Jason LaRue. It's time to move in another direction.

I have no answers for this sorry pitching staff other than to make sure that Ryan Wagner stays in the dugout instead of sitting next to the likes of David Weathers and Danny Graves in the bullpen. We don't need any of that rubbing off on him.

I'm sorry but it's been 10 years since the Reds played in the post-season. For a tradition-rich franchise in a baseball town...that's just not acceptable. Everyone got on the Bengals until they were forced to take things seriously. It seems like the Reds always get the benefit of everyone's excuses.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 04-25-2005 at 11:53 PM.

All the mods are doing is trying to tone down the whine fest, the same as a sports talk show host asks the complaining callers the same question paintmered is asking.

In answer to the mods question, I start by getting Jr. on the bench and eventually off the books, even if its paying the bulk of the remainder of his contract. With the shares up for sale, it might have to come out of Lindner's pocket, but it sure would shine up the books for a new suitor.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

can i switch gears for a sec--they run a mercury commercial during the tv broadcast every game with a lady that is hotter than fire--worth watching the game for that alone
    Isn' t that the one where she rips an enormous fart at the end? :
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Isn' t that the one where she rips an enormous fart at the end? :

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    prior hung the curve and kearns took care of it. That stat about getting Prior on the first pitch looks to be true.
    Interesting that two things stand out about Prior's career.

Hitters have a 1.020 career OPS against him when making contact with the first pitch (0-0 count),....and....

#6 hitters have a 1.020 career OPS against him no matter what the count is.

Seems that with a stat like that, more guys should come up swinging at the first pitch because they're more likely to get a strike from Prior.

That certainly wasn't happening today, as most of the REDS were taking first pitch strike.

You'd think they'd figure it out.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Interesting that two things stand out about Prior's career.

Hitters have a 1.020 career OPS against him when making contact with the first pitch (0-0 count),....and....

#6 hitters have a 1.020 career OPS against him no matter what the count is.

Seems that with a stat like that, more guys should come up swinging at the first pitch because they're more likely to get a strike from Prior.

That certainly wasn't happening today, as most of the REDS were taking first pitch strike.

You'd think they'd figure it out.
    Prior made a mistake. I didn't see many others no matter what the count. It is an interesting stat that should at least tell the batter to be ready in case he leaves something out over the plate on the first pitch. It's not like Prior walks a lot hitters either.

Not only that, but he just doesn't leave much out of the strike zone at all. I know the Reds bats generally don't like the aggressive approach to swing early in the count, but it was disappointing to see them take so many pitches from someone they know pounds the strike zone. That, and more efforts at taking him opposite field.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I made suggestions in the offseason and DanO did the opposite. I am confident we are on are way to becoming the Pirates and Brewers.

For the record again I suggested
    1) Trade Jr and Casey... pay $35-40M of the 48 owed. Acquire a catcher and a young arm.
    2) Trade Graves for whatever ... pay half his salary.
    I'm not surprised he did the opposite.

Paying most of Griffey's, Casey's and Graves' salary to play elsewhere frees up little money and, effectively, would make us the Pirates and the Brewers.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Not only that, but he just doesn't leave much out of the strike zone at all. I know the Reds bats generally don't like the aggressive approach to swing early in the count, but it was disappointing to see them take so many pitches from someone they know pounds the strike zone. .
    I thought the gameplan was actually good against Prior. Make him throw alot of pitches, get him out of the game, tee off against bullpen.

Six runs last night shows that worked.

Turn Off Ads?