Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Actress Says USA is "Responsible" for 9-11 Attacks

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Actress Says USA is "Responsible" for 9-11 Attacks

This has stirred up quite a reaction. The fan site maggie-gyllenhaal.net has reportedly been swamped by angry firefighters posting messages for her to read.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=705647

Maggie Gyllenhaal Tackles 9/11 Policies

Actress Maggie Gyllenhaal Says U.S. 'Responsible in Some Way' for Sept. 11 Attacks

The Associated Press

Apr. 26, 2005 - Maggie Gyllenhaal has waded into sensitive political waters by raising questions about Sept. 11 and American foreign policy.

The 27-year-old actress, who stars in a new film about the 2001 terror attacks on the World Trade Center, said in an interview last week that the United States "is responsible in some way" for the attacks.

A fan Web site devoted to Gyllenhaal was overwhelmed with criticism, forcing the site's editor to remove the ability to post messages "because it's gotten too outta hand."

In a statement issued Monday by her publicist, Gyllenhaal said Sept. 11 was "an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America's role in the world. Because it is always useful as individuals or nations to ask how we may have knowingly or unknowingly contributed to this conflict.

"Not to have the courage to ask these questions of ourselves is to betray the victims of 9/11."

She also expressed her grief for "everyone who suffered and everyone who died in the catastrophe."

Gyllenhall stars in "The Great New Wonderful," which features stories about people living in New York in the aftermath of the terror attacks. The movie is being shown at the Tribeca Film Festival, which was founded by Robert De Niro to help revitalize downtown Manhattan after Sept. 11.

Her screen credits also include "Secretary," "Mona Lisa Smile" and "Donnie Darko." She is the older sister of actor Jake Gyllenhaal. She lives in Manhattan.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Re: Actress Says USA is "Responsible" for 9-11 Attacks

God people are stupid. And no I don't mean Gyllenhaal.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie. Right about now, shouldn't you be bent over a desk as punishment for your excessive typos?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I am sure this person is a scholar and a renowned expert on world affairs. I am sure her library is full of informative books. I am sure that actors are required to study world affairs in college in order to graduate. If acting does not workout, she might become the 4th Dixie Chick.

I am sure of this...
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I don't see where she really said anything that inflammatory. To me what she was saying is we should maybe examine the reasons why people would be angry enough to want to do something like this to us. I didn't see her say anything ridiculous along the lines of "we deserved it" or something as stupid as that.

I am sure that many experts and world renowned scholars agree with her.

But I'm also sure that they're all too biased for you. Just like everyone who holds a different opinion from you RFA.

I am sure of this ...
    --Oscar Wilde

People are hyper-sensitive about certain topics and can't discuss them rationally without getting emotional. Hitler, race issues, and the World Trade Center attacks are among these.

I think Maggie Gyllenhaal just found this out.

It's unfortunate, because we should be able to look at ourselves and our policies and realize that we're not perfect. Even though the Bush Administration would have us believe the terrorists simply "hate us because we're free," there might actually be other reasons.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    God people are stupid. And no I don't mean Gyllenhaal.
    "God people"?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

But I'm also sure that they're all too biased for you. Just like everyone who holds a different opinion from you RFA.

I am sure of this ...
    If the shoe fits, wear it!!

Seems like a smart move to me. I've never heard of Maggie Gyllenhaal or her new movie before. Now I have, and so have a bunch of other people. Or maybe it's just the cynic in me thinking this way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    "God people"?
    Yes, I forgot a comma. Thanks for pointing it out, you're very helpful.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Seems like a smart move to me. I've never heard of Maggie Gyllenhaal or her new movie before. Now I have, and so have a bunch of other people. Or maybe it's just the cynic in me thinking this way.
    A good point. Hey, it worked for Michael Moore!

Yes, I forgot a comma. Thanks for pointing it out, you're very helpful.
    I really didn't understand. I thought does he mean "Good people" and it's just a typo, or does he mean "God people"-but neither fit. I really didn't understand.

Her wording perhaps could have been better, in that I wouldn't have used the words "contributed" to the attacks on 9/11, but her comments don't really upset me. We should try to learn as much as possible as to why some peoples in the world hate America. This doesn't necessarily mean they are right and we are wrong, or that the attacks were in any way justified, but learning about the causes of others opposition is useful IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Her wording perhaps could have been better, in that I wouldn't have used the words "contributed" to the attacks on 9/11, but her comments don't really upset me. We should try to learn as much as possible as to why some peoples in the world hate America. This doesn't necessarily mean they are right and we are wrong, or that the attacks were in any way justified, but learning about the causes of others opposition is useful IMO.
    Very well put, that's exactly what I was trying to say in my first post but fell woefully short of.

Turn Off Ads?