I'm not sure how much play this story will get north of the Ohio River, but it's sure to be a major story here in the commonwealth. Local TV isn't giving the name, but they seem fairly sure that this is a current UK player and that it's only a matter of time until he will be charged. We shall see, I guess.


Posted on Thu, Apr. 28, 2005

Police probe report of rape at athletes' dorm

Woman: Rape occurred at UK basketball players' residence hall

By Delano R. Massey and Cassondra Kirby


Lexington police are investigating a woman's report that she was raped last week at Wildcat Lodge, a University of Kentucky residence hall where UK basketball players live.

The 29-year-old woman told police she was raped at the lodge, which is shared by some UK basketball players and traditional university students.

Lt. James Curless said a police investigation is ongoing. He said investigators have conducted interviews and are awaiting the results of DNA testing and other forensic testing. The woman named a suspect, but no charges have been filed, Curless said. He declined to name the suspect.

UK athletics spokesman Scott Stricklin said university officials learned of the allegation while watching the news today. The rape allegation, he said, "was a surprise to us." He declined to say whether an athlete was involved.

Stricklin said the university would "just let the police conduct their investigation and do whatever we can to assist them - just follow their lead."

"Right now, we don't have anything to act upon," he said. "I'm sure we'll respond appropriately if we need to. Right now it's wait and see if there's anything to it or if it's just an allegation."

Curless said the accuser was an acquaintance of the suspect, who is a resident of the lodge. He declined to give further details.

A police report says the woman reported she had been raped April 20 between 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. while she was at the residence hall located at 327 Lexington Avenue. She told police the suspect had intercourse with her without consent and she was "physically helpless." The report says she had a bruise on her thigh.

The woman went to the University of Kentucky hospital, which called the Lexington police department, Curless said.

UK police were notified of the alleged incident, which is in a jurisdiction shared by both agencies, but Lexington police are handling the investigation, Curless said.