Turn Off Ads?

Thread: School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/burrito_lockdown
    School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon

Fri Apr 29, 4:08 PM ET

A call about a possible weapon at a middle school prompted police to put armed officers on rooftops, close nearby streets and lock down the school. All over a giant burrito.

Someone called authorities Thursday after seeing a boy carrying something long and wrapped into Marshall Junior High.

The drama ended two hours later when the suspicious item was identified as a 30-inch burrito filled with steak, guacamole, lettuce, salsa and jalapenos and wrapped inside tin foil and a white T-shirt.

"I didn't know whether to laugh or cry," school Principal Diana Russell said.

State police, Clovis police and the Curry County Sheriff's Department arrived at the school shortly after 8:30 a.m. They searched the premises and determined there was no immediate danger.

In the meantime, more than 30 parents, alerted by a radio report, descended on the school. Visibly shaken, they gathered around in a semi-circle, straining their necks, awaiting news.

"There needs to be security before the kids walk through the door," said Heather Black, whose son attends the school.

After the lockdown was lifted but before the burrito was identified as the culprit, parents pulled 75 students out of school, Russell said.

Russell said the mystery was solved after she brought everyone in the school together in the auditorium to explain what was going on.

"The kid was sitting there as I'm describing this (report of a student with a suspicious package) and he's thinking, 'Oh, my gosh, they're talking about my burrito.'"

Afterward, eighth-grader Michael Morrissey approached her.

"He said, 'I think I'm the person they saw,'" Russell said.

The burrito was part of Morrissey's extra-credit assignment to create commercial advertising for a product.

"We had to make up a product and it could have been anything. I made up a restaurant that specialized in oddly large burritos," Morrissey said.

After students heard the description of what police were looking for, he and his friends began to make the connection. He then took the burrito to the office.

"The police saw it and everyone just started laughing. It was a laughter of relief," Morrissey said.

"Oh, and I have a new nickname now. It's Burrito Boy."

/r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon

Did the burrito have a safety, a trigger guard or some other method rendering it safe? Burrito Contol, Inc. reportedly is demanding that all burritos be licensed, but critics are responding by stating that "burritos don't kill, people do."
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 05-01-2005 at 08:39 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Some burritos ARE dangerous.

just sayin'
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Some burritos ARE dangerous.

just sayin'
    So so true.

Be carefull of them
    Go Gators!

If you can't bring an oversized burrito to school, the terrorists have won.

Where was the NBA (National Burrito Association) when all this went down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    If you can't bring an oversized burrito to school, the terrorists have won.

Bwahahahahahahahaha

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Why does this sound like something out of "Napoleon Dynamite?"

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Why does this sound like something out of "Napoleon Dynamite?"
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

a Burrito is perfectly safe until it is mixed with the detonator - a large Pepsi from 7/11. Then...

BOOM!

The local ATF should have known this.

I've left burrito-sized things in public restrooms that I know would be classified as WMD.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

ws1990reds

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I've left burrito-sized things in public restrooms that I know would be classified as WMD.
    :thumbdown :thumbdown

Turn Off Ads?