Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Help with team

Help with team

I need some help making a decision. I am in a 10 team mixed league. We have NO bench spots, and 2 DL spots.

Here is my current roster.

C-I.Rodriguez
    1B- A.Dunn
    2B- M.Giles
    3B- E.Chavez
    SS- C.Izturis
    OF- V.Guerrero
    OF- B.Giles
    OF- C.Floyd
    UTIL- D.Wright
    UTIL- T.Hafner
    UTIL- L.Gonzalez (ARI)

My problem is this. I have Lance Berkman on the DL, and he is due back, most likely this coming Friday. Our league stipulates that you can only keep a player on the DL for one week once they come off the real life DL, so I would need to activate Berkman before a week from this Friday. My question is, who do I drop to make room for him? Obviously, my weakest position is SS (I had Nomar), but nobody in my league will take B.Giles, L.Gonzalez, C.Floyd + Izturis for an upgrade at SS. The players currently playing the worst (E.Chavez, B.Giles), I can't flat out drop, as they'll rebound. The only other trade that might be beneficial to me would be to trade one of those hitters for an upgrade at SP or RP.

My current pitchers:

SP: R.Johnson
    SP: A.J. Burnett
    SP: J. Vazquez
    SP: J. Patterson
    SP: J. Bonderman
    RP: F.Rodriguez
    RP: B.J. Ryan
    P: Y.Brazoban
    P: D. Turnbow
    DL: B. Sheets

I was hoping that Gagne would come back by Friday, when Sheets comes off the DL, so I could drop Brazoban and activate Sheets, and still have 3 full time closers. Turnbow isn't exactly a sure-thing closer, and that position could be upgraded. When Sheets comes back, I'm fine with my SP's, and I really don't think there needs to be too much tinkering there, with the exception of maybe Patterson, if he falls apart. So really what I'm saying is that the only possible positions I could upgrade, IMO, are closer and SS.

Thoughts?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Help with team

Just read that Ben Sheets might be out 2 more weeks with the inner ear infection, instead of coming off the DL on Friday, so I'll be able to hold Brazoban until Gagne comes back, and then drop him to pick up a SP to take Sheets' place. That solves that problem.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Can you move Wright? He might have more value than an OF, depending on how things fall in your league. I would throw an offer at Renteria's owner.

Or you might want to stay put with Izturis

But, I am finding it very difficult to deal for a closer after the loss of three last week. Your best bet might be to look at SP. You might want to consolidate one of Giles/Gonzo/Flyod with one of Patterson/Bonderman into a risk reward pitcher like Mulder or Mussina or Zito or maybe even snag Oliver Perez.

You might need to take a loss to free up the space, but it would be better than droping somebody, and Berkman should make up for it.

I'm going to try and pull this off:

I trade: OF Luis Gonzalez, RP Yhency Brazoban (or Turnbow) and John Patterson

for

OF Carlos Lee, RP Takatsu and SP Tim Hudson.

I just might be able to pull it off, the guy I would trade with makes like 8 moves a day. Same guy I traded Freddy Garcia and Edgardo Alfonso for Eric Chavez and Marcus Giles.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'm going to try and pull this off:

I trade: OF Luis Gonzalez, RP Yhency Brazoban (or Turnbow) and John Patterson

for

OF Carlos Lee, RP Takatsu and SP Tim Hudson.

I just might be able to pull it off, the guy I would trade with makes like 8 moves a day. Same guy I traded Freddy Garcia and Edgardo Alfonso for Eric Chavez and Marcus Giles.
    That would definatly be a quality move on your part.

I figured out that the above trade doesn't help me, as it still leaves me with someone to cut when Berkman comes back.

How about SP John Patterson and OF Brian Giles for SP Tim Hudson, or SP John Patterson and OF Luis Gonzalez for Tim Hudson?

Which one is a better deal. Giles, to me, seems to be on the decline. His numbers were down last year, and after a hot start in Colorado this year, he's really slumping. Meanwhile, Luis has picked his game up a little and hitting in front of Troy Glaus is really helping him so far. Plus, Luis plays in a hitters park and Giles plays in a pitcher's park.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 05-03-2005 at 10:19 AM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm also going to contact another owner and see if I can do a trade of:

SP John Patterson and OF Brian Giles for SP Jake Peavy.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Either way, you are getting a sweet deal. But I would trade Giles before Gonzalez, too. Giles' production has steadily declined over the past few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Either way, you are getting a sweet deal. But I would trade Giles before Gonzalez, too. Giles' production has steadily declined over the past few seasons.
    Yea, the good thing is Giles probably has more name recognition and thus more trade value than Gonzo anyway.

The one thing I will miss is the BB's. Our league counts BB's, and Giles gets plenty of them. Hopefully with Berkman returning, he can make up for a fair share of those. Looking at stats from last year, I have Dunn, Chavez and Berkman who drew 98, 105 and 127 BB's respectively, so I should be ok.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Yea, the good thing is Giles probably has more name recognition and thus more trade value than Gonzo anyway.

The one thing I will miss is the BB's. Our league counts BB's, and Giles gets plenty of them. Hopefully with Berkman returning, he can make up for a fair share of those. Looking at stats from last year, I have Dunn, Chavez and Berkman who drew 98, 105 and 127 BB's respectively, so I should be ok.
    Yeah those guys will definatly take care of the BB's.

Turn Off Ads?