Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Browns may have lost Winslow for the year

Browns may have lost Winslow for the year

According to this article Kellen Winslow Jr the Browns top draft pick from last year may miss the whole year next year from the injuries he suffered in a motorcycle accident yesterday.

Browns worry tight end Winslow might be done for season
    May 3, 2005
    By Clark Judge
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The Cleveland Browns are concerned that injuries suffered by Kellen Winslow Jr. in a weekend motorcycle accident will prevent the second-year tight end from playing this season, NFL sources said.

The primary problem, sources said, are potentially significant injuries to the right knee and right shoulder -- with the club unable to determine the extent of damage to either until swelling subsides.

The swelling in the knee was considerable, sources said, with the Browns fearful Winslow may have torn his anterior cruciate ligament. The club also suspects Winslow may have suffered ligament or tendon damage to his shoulder, sources said.

In addition, sources said the Browns believe Winslow may have suffered a punctured lung and an injury to his kidney, but that neither had the club overly concerned. A source close to the club said the kidney was bruised.

Winslow was hurt while riding his motorcycle in the parking lot of a community college Sunday. According to police, he hit a curb while driving 35 mph and was thrown from the bike.

He later was taken by ambulance to Fairview Hospital and was transferred to Cleveland Clinic where the Browns' medical staff treated him. The club later said Winslow's injuries were not life threatening, but sources close to the team said the organization has serious concerns that his season may be imperiled.

"Winslow has sustained some internal injuries, which are stable," the Browns said in a statement released Monday. "There is also swelling in his right shoulder and knee. The extent of the injuries will not be known until further medical evaluation is completed after the swelling is reduced."

Winslow was the team's first-round draft pick in 2004, but missed all but two games after breaking his right leg against Dallas attempting to recover an onside kick in the closing seconds.

Winslow, who had five catches last year, had two surgeries on the leg and appeared recovered from the injury.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Browns may have lost Winslow for the year

The young man is an enigma, at best.

Apparently he didn't pay attention to what happened to Jason Williams of the Bulls.

Should we make this a sticky since this is the 2nd time in as many years he's suffered a significant injury?

I was never crazy about him when he first started gaining noteriety in Miami. That whole "I'm a soldier" nonsense was just an example. But I did feel bad for him when he broke his ankle since I had suffered the same injury a few weeks earlier. Now I've come to the conclusion that he's not exactly the brightest porch light on the block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

My local paper reported this morning that the Browns are looking at whether or not Winslow's use of the motorcycle violated his contract language that prohibited him from engaging in dangerous activities and that the Browns could ask him to pay back his $4.4 million signing bonus.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For a Level Playing Field

The REDS will sign him if the Cleveland Browns cut ties. They like big-strong types who are stupid enough to jeopardize their sports future on those two-wheel things. Right, Ronnie?

A yacht, a Ferrari, an airplane. These dummies can afford all kinds of toys. Some feel the need to ride those dangerous two-wheel things instead.

Well at least the Browns will not have to make that dreadful decision of whether to use him on an on-side kick this year.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but if I was fortunate enough to have the talent to be a professional athlete I would stay as far away from anything dangerous as I possibly could. No motorcycles, no rock climbing, no bungee jumping, etc etc etc. I would be on a yacht or in a penthouse from the end of the season until the start of training camp. Hopefully with a playmate or two.

God help the Browns if they decide to exercise their option of reclaiming that 4+ million dollar signing bonus. His agents are the Poston brothers who are just a shade worse than Scott BorASS to deal with. I could imagine that conversation wouldn't go very smoothly at all.

Turn Off Ads?