Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new system makes it hard to discuss baseball

The new system makes it hard to discuss baseball

After just a couple of days, I've noticed that the new "Majors/Minors" system makes it very difficult to discuss topics. We've got multiple threads on both boards dealing with the same subject, and there is a lot of redundancy between the forums.

If you want to read all the available opinions on one subject, you've got to visit both forums and read through multiple posts. If someone makes a point in the Baseball Talk forum that I want to address, I have to bring it back here to discuss it. And I'm sure there are a lot of great points on the Reds Live side that are not being seen by the Baseball Talk people. That is, unless the Baseball Talk folks are visiting here every day and reading all the posts, which makes the Baseball Talk forum somewhat obsolete.

And I don't think the job is any easier for the Baseball Talk posters. They're going to have to sift through all kinds of posts on this side to dole out Reputation points.

I know the Mods had good reasons for implementing the new system, and I respect those reasons. But I think it has basically doubled the amount of "chatter" and made it more difficult to discuss baseball.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-04-2005 at 10:01 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The new system makes it hard to discuss baseball

I agree Johnny, makes it hard to get into it now... RedsZone was a daily event for me... now it's much lower on my list because it takes way too much time to follow the discussion...

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I like it... more variety and more topics to discuss. more posters are posting in my opinion and that only bodes well. Through time, the quality folks will be noticed who wouldnt have been noticed before.

I will have to say with this new system it seems there are a considerable amount of newer posters actually de-lurking and contributing to the topic of the moment, whatever it might be. Is the system a little odd? Perhaps, but I think it will improve the quality in the long run, and also get a greater number of quality people as well.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I agree, it gets frustrating at times.
    Let's make some noise!

Noise, noise noise.

I've said this a thousand times and I'll say it again this board is FULL of noise, period.

How about some filters, make some different forums, Trade Talk, He Sucks, No He Doesn't Suck, History, Politcs, weird stuff etc...

Noise is best controled by channeling the noise into subject specific areas.

Focus on creating an easy to read system... right now hit new posts and get a jumble of everything posted, no filters to clean out the chaft at all.

Noise... noise.... noise... pare it down, put it in buckets that are easy to pick at.

The baseball talk will be a mess if there isn't some semblance to try and manage it other than on seperate boards like the current CRT/RL setup.

I'm not going to lobby pro or con to the new system.. but I think that after a few weeks of transition, a lot of the more frequent posters on the "Live" site will get their 200 reputation posts, and things will be back to normal.

Of course, a couple months down the road, it might be a lot harder for newbies to ever make it to the exclusive board. (I imagine traffic on the "Live" board will go down
    once some of the more profilic posters make the other board). Or maybe not, we'll have to see how it plays out.

For those finding it tough to keep up with the discussion, try using the "new posts" link at the top. It runs a canned search that finds all new posts that have occured within x minutes. From that list, then, its easy to pick the threads you are interested in, regardless of which forum they appear in.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    After just a couple of days, I've noticed that the new "Majors/Minors" system makes it very difficult to discuss topics. We've got multiple threads on both boards dealing with the same subject, and there is a lot of redundancy between the forums.

If you want to read all the available opinions on one subject, you've got to visit both forums and read through multiple posts. If someone makes a point in the Baseball Talk forum that I want to address, I have to bring it back here to discuss it. And I'm sure there are a lot of great points on the Reds Live side that are not being seen by the Baseball Talk people. That is, unless the Baseball Talk folks are visiting here every day and reading all the posts, which makes the Baseball Talk forum somewhat obsolete.

And I don't think the job is any easier for the Baseball Talk posters. They're going to have to sift through all kinds of posts on this side to dole out Reputation points.

I know the Mods had good reasons for implementing the new system, and I respect those reasons. But I think it has basically doubled the amount of "chatter" and made it more difficult to discuss baseball.
    My solution: Just stick to the Reds Live board and let the inner circle play in their own sandbox.

Of course, a couple months down the road, it might be a lot harder for newbies to ever make it to the exclusive board.
    I think it will be. Once the familiar people get "called up," there will be far fewer Reputation Points being passed around on the Reds Live board.

From that list, then, its easy to pick the threads you are interested in, regardless of which forum they appear in.
    That's a nice feature, and it will come in fairly handy in the future, but right now many of us can't contribute to half of those new posts. Plus in the future, it still won't solve the problem of sorting through redundant posts on both forums.

My solution: Just stick to the Reds Live board and let the inner circle play in their own sandbox.
    Doing that excludes a lot of good discussions. Just like sticking to the Baseball Talk side would exclude a lot of good discussions.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I think it will be. Once the familiar people get "called up," there will be far fewer Reputation Points being passed around on the Reds Live board.
    I fully have my sights set on being a utility player, so I'm not giving up on my dream.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

'

Actually...it will be the opposite. More CRT posters equal more available reputation points to be given. As long as people continue to come to RedsZone, there will be people available to give points to. At least thats my take on it.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I guess what this does is encourage people like me who have been hanging around here for almost three years to actually post more. I have been a long time lurker and have occasionally put my 2 cents in, but...look at my post count and you'll see what I mean. I just need to make sure I have something productive to say.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I guess what this does is encourage people like me who have been hanging around here for almost three years to actually post more. I have been a long time lurker and have occasionally put my 2 cents in, but...look at my post count and you'll see what I mean.

I just need to make sure I have something productive to say.

Dear Lord, don't wait for that!!!! It's certainly never stopped most of us!!

I hope it does flush out some lurkers. I'm sure interested to hear what you think.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Actually...it will be the opposite. More CRT posters equal more available reputation points to be given.
    If they continue to visit Reds Live frequently.

And the more frequently they visit Reds Live, the more redundant Baseball Talk will become.

Turn Off Ads?