Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new system makes it hard to discuss baseball

Re: The new system makes it hard to discuss baseball

Is it just me, or do others find the minor league board just as, if not more, interesting than the major league board?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Well, actually my work schedule has had an effect on how often I can get on here. I don't have one of those nice predictable schedules that some people have and unlike Mr. Graves, my pay is performance based. That and being married. I basically get on the web when my wife's at work or running errands. Hopefully you'll be hearing from me a bit more often though, since a couple other boards I used to hang around basically went to hell in a handbasket and aren't worth visiting anymore.

Is it just me, or do others find the minor league board just as, if not more, interesting than the major league board?
    Yes. Both boards have a lot to offer.

Which begs the question -- is the split really necessary?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Yes, it was.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I don't get it?
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Yes. Both boards have a lot to offer.

I like the split for a couple of reasons.

1) For those that have been around some time and gained respect over the long haul, there is a "safe haven" to retreat to if/when the occoasional troll with too much time on their hands surfaces.

2) I like to see the same topic on both boards at the same time. One board takes a turn to the left while the other board takes a turn to the right. Those "identical" threads can end up in very different places.

3) Right now I am loving the Live board with the infusion of new blood posting ... its just what this site needed IMO. It had to be a bit daunting to post something on the old board with all of the long-standing members, but now you are seeing all sorts of discussion from all sorts of people on the live board.

Eventually I think we may see the boards merge again but retaining of the reputation points. At a miniumum I'd like to see both boards for at least 30 days, then re-evaluate. At this time things are going to well, IMO, to abandon ship. (Note: thinly veiled Titanic reference)

GL

Personally I like how the two boards are going right now. They're each starting to develop their own personalities, and as gonelong said different points of view on the same topic. As I wrote on the CRT board (there's that redundancy!) it's like I have 2 Reds sites to go to now instead of just 1.

Not Laughing

Major Leauge/Minor Leauge stuff aside...I vist both boards, and will continue to do so, as most of the CRT folks do.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Major Leauge/Minor Leauge stuff aside...I vist both boards, and will continue to do so, as most of the CRT folks do.
    Completely agree. I'm really excited about the board these days. I've found that there are a lot more topics and discussions that I'm interested in joining in on now than at any time before.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Noise, noise noise.

I've said this a thousand times and I'll say it again this board is FULL of noise, period.

How about some filters, make some different forums, Trade Talk, He Sucks, No He Doesn't Suck, History, Politcs, weird stuff etc...

Noise is best controled by channeling the noise into subject specific areas.

Focus on creating an easy to read system... right now hit new posts and get a jumble of everything posted, no filters to clean out the chaft at all.

Noise... noise.... noise... pare it down, put it in buckets that are easy to pick at.

The baseball talk will be a mess if there isn't some semblance to try and manage it other than on seperate boards like the current CRT/RL setup.
    I have no substantive response to what you've said other than the fact that I love the Seattle Pilots avatar, as they are (without a doubt) probably one of the better footnotes in Major League Baseball, if for no other reason than those great hats they wore with the bill designs.

Aack, more noise...

I think it's good to have all the discussions in one message board. You can just pick and choose the threads you want to read whereas separating things out will require multiple views on multiple different boards to see all the goings on.

You'll have a threads going on trading Rich Aurillia on one thread, another thread on another board talking about starting Felipe Lopez OVER Rich Aurillia, and a thread on another boards talking about who Rich Aurillia voted for in the last election by your system. Might be too much Rich Aurillia talk for anyone's good.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

If they continue to visit Reds Live frequently.

That's my concern too. Again, I am not criticizing or praising the setup. I fully support Boss and GIK (whatever they decide).

But let's fast forward to September. By then, most of the familiar people will probably be up to 200 reputation. Will there be enough "Major Leaguers" still interested in visiting the "Live" board?

I can speak for myself here. If some folks are kind enough to put me at the 200 point level, I will find myself inclined to still come in here on occasion simply to return the favor. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj017
    My solution: Just stick to the Reds Live board and let the inner circle play in their own sandbox.
    Right on tsj. I've posted (infrequently) on Resdzone for the last 3 or 4 years. Yesterday, I try to post and find that I'm now excluded! If some elitist members of Reds Zone don't want me around, I ain't gonna be around! Don't even bother computing my Reputation Power Points (or whatever the hell it is) because I ain't playing anymore!

p.s. How many Reputation points do I get for this post?
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

I think you get 10 "stay out of my sandbox" points for that one.

This is going to take some getting used to. I also appreciate and support the decision by the mods. But, as someone suggested, it is basically like having two seperate communities. To try and cross-reference or respond to threads from one forum to the other could become very confusing, and there will be a lot of repetition. As someone else said on CRT , it seems to be working on other boards, for college teams in particular. It will be interesting to see how the game threads go.

Turn Off Ads?