Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: KEARNS almost Traded last night!

Re: KEARNS almost Traded last night!

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    IMO, the best ways to ensure that Kearn's trade value drops is to 1) bench him, 2) fail to debunk trade rumors, 3) send him to Louisville to pout. If the Reds continue to give Austin regular ABs and he fails to improve, then they missed the opportune window to deal him, back in mid-2002. My memory is conveniently hazy...were you advocating a Kearns trade at the time?
    There's never been a time where I wouldn't have been willing to deal Kearns. That doesn't mean I want to give him away or even that I want the team to trade him. It's just that I've always been open to the notion that the Reds could shore up other areas by moving him.

I'll take the other stuff by number - 1) I wouldn't bench him, I'd bench Jr., 2) I think trade rumors might actually pump up his value because I believe a number of teams might be interested in acquiring his services, 3) The team can't send him to Louisville and I'd think it was a bad idea even if they could.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

realistically speaking, what could the Reds get for Adam Dunn? for Austin Kearns? for Willy Mo Pena?

I think that Adam Dunn would trade Austin Kearns if he thought that it would mean a winner. Since Kearns came up, I said that I wouldn't trade him, but I am so sick of seeing the Reds lose that I would trade anyone.

For Adam Dunn, I think they could get a Major League #2 and a very highly touted pitching prospect. I don't see them getting a Prior, Santana, Sheets kind of guy straight up for him. I am not sure you could get any of those three period but you see my point. Unless you can get 3 players that will really contribute by next season then I don't think you can trade him. So, to me, that means signing him long term and building this franchise around him.

For Austin Kearns, i am not really sure. Maybe a #3 type and a prospect? That's probably over stepping his worth to other teams, but I would demand that, at least.

For Willy Mo, probably about the same as Kearns, but I think his stock is a little higher than Kearns right now to some teams.

So, this is what I would do. We can't trade Jr., at least not right now, due to his salary. I would trade Kearns and Pena for 2 ML pitchers and a couple prospects with at least 1 being a year away pitcher. That's my idea, trade them both for what this teams needs, a pitching staff.

That is where I would start, outfielders are much easier to come by than good pitchers. We have had an ace type pitcher in Cincinnati for 15 years and it's time that something changes. A new gM would also be a step in the right direction.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    The impression I have gotten from DanO over time is that he isn't all that high on Kearns.
    GL
    Agree with you on that. DanO seems to have been shopping Kearns a lot.
    It would make sense that the Reds are "showcasing" Kearns by keeping Wily Mo on the bench too.

Turn Off Ads?