Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Peak Oil

Peak Oil

I was just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on peak oil.

When I first read about peak oil I dismissed it as just another run of the mill disaster scenario, but as time goes by and oil prices continue to rise and energy problems seem to take up more and more news time it's starting to freak me out a bit.

If you don't know what I'm talking about:

http://www.energybulletin.net/primer.php

I'm not looking for this to be a political debate, I honestly just wonder what people who are more in the middle of the political spectrum think.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Peak Oil

Largely why I view activities geared toward "finding more oil" with some skepticism. I feel that the money would be better spent on developing alternative systems now, rather than continue to put off the problem.

The industrialization of China is going to scrunch that bell curve considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    The industrialization of China is going to scrunch that bell curve considerably.
    exactly right. how beneficial would it be for the US and Europe to be using [insert alternative fuel of your choice here] while China's being forced to spend nearly $150/barrel for oil?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend The Party's Over

The author, writing in 2002, predicts that the as the economy heats up, oil prices will skyrocket, slowing growth. Slower growth will result in lower fuel costs propelling growth again and, again, we run into the same wall. That's exactly what's happening.

He also thinks we needed to start investing in a non-oil 20 years ago. Now, we simply don't have enough energy to both upgrade our energy infrastructure and provide economic growth.

This is just plain sad. How many responses did Terri Shiavo get? Something, that in the end, really only matters to her and her family.

Rojo, I'm very seriously considering your The Party's Over for our neighborhood book club (it's my pick next month). I'll keep you posted as to what the reaction is from Midwest Suburbia. I'm woefully ignorant about these issues.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo

The author, writing in 2002, predicts that the as the economy heats up, oil prices will skyrocket, slowing growth. Slower growth will result in lower fuel costs propelling growth again and, again, we run into the same wall. That's exactly what's happening.

He also thinks we needed to start investing in a non-oil 20 years ago. Now, we simply don't have enough energy to both upgrade our energy infrastructure and provide economic growth.
    I got done reading this yesterday, and it's all really quite worrying. It looks like the world is going to be undergoing some drastic changes in the next decade or so.

I recommend the book to everyone as well.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo

I have bookmarked the page for this book at Amazon and will check into it when I get more time.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I have bookmarked the page for this book at Amazon and will check into it when I get more time.
    Leave yourself some "down time" after reading it, cuz, brother, you'll be very "down" indeed.

Turn Off Ads?